Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #106
Port Orleans fan
Over tipping is a fools game.....so have fun playing you intellectual genius.

I have no fear of anything being lost or stolen from our room.

We basically live out of our suitcases and keep all of our bags locked up 24 hours a day. If we need to go in to one of our bags to get something, the lock goes right back on as soon as we are finished.

We also make sure that our room is spotless (make beds, dispose of garbage, clean counter top, pile suitcases neatly in a corner, etc). This way nothing is missed and all personal property is put away.

As far as the safe is concerned, I leave all of my money in it. But I also have a trick to that as well. If let's say I have $1000 cash, I keep it in a bank envelop with an elastic band wrapped around it. I also have a signed chain of command system set up when removing money from the safe. On a piece of paper attached to the envelop, I (or DW) record the amount taken and date/sign it. Our money gets counted each and every night before going to bed. Someone (maid, Disney employee) would be stupid to think that we wouldn't notice a $20 bill missing.
Dec 2012 - POR/POFQ
Nov 2013 - POP
Dec 2013 - Disney Dream
Dec 2013 - ASMu
Old 08-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #107
lacy1101
DIS Veteran

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

Several years ago, my wedding band and engagement ring went missing. We were not traveling at the time either. It wasn't until a couple of months later that I discovered them in a piece of luggage. Seems we had returned from a trip and after unpacking, had left a couple of pieces of luggage lying around the bedroom before storing them in the attic. Our daughter who was a toddler at the time, must have picked my rings up off my dresser and put them in the zipper pocket of the suitcase. Not sure how old the OP's children are, but something to think about . . .

Also, a boss of mine one time returned from a trip out of the country and insisted that his wife's pearls had been stolen by the hotel staff. A few weeks later, they found them in a makeup or jewelry bag that she normally didn't store them in. Not sure if she put them there in haste or what, but, again, it may be worth going through every piece of luggage, every little bag, etc. to make sure it didn't wind up in there somehow.

OP, hope the watch finds its way back to you!

Oct. ‘94 Caribbean Beach * Oct. ‘99 All-Star Music * Oct. ’02 All-Star Movies * Oct. ‘05 Pop Century * March ‘08 NSBA Conf. w/DH (2 days off property) * August '08 Pop Century * October ‘09 All-Star Sports * November '10 Caribbean Beach; * Sept. '11 Pop Century * November '11 Wilderness Lodge * November '12 POFQ * October '13 AKV Jambo House 25th Anniversary Trip * November '13 Coronado Springs * October '14 Caribbean Beach (to visit daughter in DCP) * December '14 Wilderness Lodge (Christmas w/daughter in DCP) * September '15 POR (Food & Wine w/friends)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #108
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscoloo View Post
My husband's very expensive watch disappeared from our room one evening at AKL earlier this week. Didn't realize it was missing until we packed to check out the following morning. Reported it to the front desk and they treated it as a "lost property" incident, rather than stolen property, despite my suggesting that it had to have been physically removed from our room and that it wasn't lost somewhere in the room between the bedsheets. Supervisor came and said they would look at the door log to see who entered the room and that they would mail the watch to us if they find it. Seems to me that they were not prepared to deal with this as a stolen property incident. Has anyone dealt with this? Not sure what to do now that we're back home. If I was back in a hotel back home and not on my way to the airport, I would've insisted that the police be called.
What else did you expect supervisor to do?
Where was the expensive watch last set down?
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #109
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
OP again: to reiterate, at no time did we accuse anyone specific of having taken the watch especially the housekeeper. Do I think she did it? In my opinion, yes (just a gut feeling I got from my limited interaction with her. She was thoroughly annoyed by us having been in the room much of the day.). But, did I ever voice my opinion out loud to anyone at Disney? Absolutely not, because I know that someone else other than the housekeeper could have accessed the room. We would never falsely accuse someone without any proof because their livelihood
So did you file a police report? Probably will not get the watch back but at least there's a record of it in case there are other incidents.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #110
d1sn3yguy
Earning My Ears

"Some people seem to get Disney Brain and think nothing bad happens on Disney property. Just take a look at all of the stuff left behind in strollers, and you will see what I mean."

This reminds me of the last trip we took in May 2013.....we came out of the aquarium building in Epcot and there were squirrels in the diaper bags that people had left in their strollers! The squirrels were actually eating all types of snacks that were down inside the bags in the strollers and I don't think that people would have even noticed because the little guys were going from stroller to stroller fairly quickly! One of the the funniest things I had seen in the stroller parking area but kind of scary really when you realize they were in the actual diaper bags and removing items! We brought it to the attention of the CM at the parking area. But if you came outside and saw that your bag had been gone through I doubt you would have thought it was a squirrel! I sure wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #111
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
OP again: to reiterate, at no time did we accuse anyone specific of having taken the watch especially the housekeeper. Do I think she did it? In my opinion, yes (just a gut feeling I got from my limited interaction with her. She was thoroughly annoyed by us having been in the room much of the day.). But, did I ever voice my opinion out loud to anyone at Disney? Absolutely not, because I know that someone else other than the housekeeper could have accessed the room. We would never falsely accuse someone without any proof because their livelihood
Are you sure it was even the same person? My experience with turn down service is that - primarily because of the time of day - the staffing is different. The daytime room cleaners generally aren't the same people who are still there in the evening to provide this extra service.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #112
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Are you sure it was even the same person? My experience with turn down service is that - primarily because of the time of day - the staffing is different. The daytime room cleaners generally aren't the same people who are still there in the evening to provide this extra service.
That has been our experience, too. As repeat guests, there are a two resorts where we've gotten to know a couple of the daytime housekeepers-very nice, helpful and kind people. They remember us from previous trips. They are not there by the time turndown rolls around.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #113
dmccarty
DIS Veteran

I don't like house keeping in the room, and since we are in DVC, they will only clean a few times depending on the length of our stay. Our last trip was to VBR and I put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door on our first day and took it off when we left.

Mouse Keeping left us a message one day asking us to schedule a room visit but we never called back. They would only clean for one day anyway on that visit so we did not miss the cleaning.

If we needed new towels or TP we just asked CM's in for more.

This does not prevent a theft but it does make it a bit more difficult.

Later,
Dan
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #114
rockingrollercoaster
Mouseketeer

let me get this straight?

it was a "very" expensive watch? Can I ask why you would take a "very" expensive watch to a hotel and not wear it and not know it's wear abouts at least every time you came back to the room???

If you had a gut feeling about the housekeeper, why would you leave this "very' expensive watch in the room without you?

My gut feeling is, you lost it.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #115
rockingrollercoaster
Mouseketeer

smarty pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Orleans fan View Post
I have no fear of anything being lost or stolen from our room.

We basically live out of our suitcases and keep all of our bags locked up 24 hours a day. If we need to go in to one of our bags to get something, the lock goes right back on as soon as we are finished.

We also make sure that our room is spotless (make beds, dispose of garbage, clean counter top, pile suitcases neatly in a corner, etc). This way nothing is missed and all personal property is put away.

As far as the safe is concerned, I leave all of my money in it. But I also have a trick to that as well. If let's say I have $1000 cash, I keep it in a bank envelop with an elastic band wrapped around it. I also have a signed chain of command system set up when removing money from the safe. On a piece of paper attached to the envelop, I (or DW) record the amount taken and date/sign it. Our money gets counted each and every night before going to bed. Someone (maid, Disney employee) would be stupid to think that we wouldn't notice a $20 bill missing.
Your one smart little cookie.............kudos to you! Do you use luggage locks or other types of locks on your suit cases?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #116
georgina
I dream of Mousey with the big black ears
I've embraced my gray hairs

Like dmccarty, I am uncomfortable with people being in my room. We keep the do not disturb sign on at all times. I usually ask the housekeeping staff once during our stay to empty the trash and replace the towels while we are there. I know someone posted earlier that wouldn't prevent maintenance from entering, but I feel better with less traffic in the room. I have no need for someone to make my bed or vacuum on a daily basis.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #117
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgina View Post
Like dmccarty, I am uncomfortable with people being in my room. We keep the do not disturb sign on at all times. I usually ask the housekeeping staff once during our stay to empty the trash and replace the towels while we are there. I know someone posted earlier that wouldn't prevent maintenance from entering, but I feel better with less traffic in the room. I have no need for someone to make my bed or vacuum on a daily basis.
I think everyone should do what makes them comfortable.

We travel frequently. We enjoy our hotel stays, and appreciate the housekeepers stopping by. It works for us.

That said, I don't bring "very expensive" items with us when we travel. I sort of have the same guidelines for travel that I used to use when the kids asked to take things for show and tell. Is it very expensive? Sentimental? Hard to replace? If so, it stays home.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #118
angierae
DIS Veteran

We also generally leave the do not disturb sign up. Disney housekeeping usually leaves a bag of towels hanging on the door for us.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #119
Port Orleans fan
Over tipping is a fools game.....so have fun playing you intellectual genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingrollercoaster View Post
Your one smart little cookie.............kudos to you! Do you use luggage locks or other types of locks on your suit cases?

We use TSA luggage locks. We never travel without them. The locks go on our luggage (including carry on) before being loaded into the airport limo, and doesn't come off until we get back home. I rather be safe than sorry.
Dec 2012 - POR/POFQ
Nov 2013 - POP
Dec 2013 - Disney Dream
Dec 2013 - ASMu
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #120
Janet-TX
Wishing On A Star

Good travel advice

I was given this advice many years ago and I think it still holds true. Don't take expensive watches or jewelry when you travel (or anything that you would be devastated to lose and can't be replaced). I do wear my wedding rings, but never take them off. With nice costume jewelry and inexpensive watch choices, it hasn't been a problem.

Last edited by Janet-TX; 08-28-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: