Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Camera or not?

Every trip I feel like I'm seeing my vacation through a viewfinder on a camera. I usually take 500+ pictures during the course of the trip. Last time, I downloaded them to the computer but never had them developed. We may look at the pictures once a year or so (usually right before a trip). I'm trying to convince myself to go cameraless this year. I would have my phone if there were a few I "had to have". Has anyone else ever gone without a camera?
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
SheilaHeartsDisney
Yay Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last couple of years we went camera less. We did have our phones but it was so nice to have one less thing to think about and we really did enjoy not having to see everything through a tiny screen. We go every year and the Epcot ball hasn't changed at all. You can only get the same picture so many times you know. Now a days unless you and your family are in the pic who knows if you took the pic or if you for it off the Internet. Trust me all you need is your phone.
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
AuroraRora
Princess

I still take my camera because I get "what if I miss something??" anxiety if I don't. But I agree with SheilaHeartsDisney that a lot of the things people photograph can be found online, usually in better quality. I don't take pictures of the standard stuff like the Epcot ball, any show/parade pictures etc and I don't film any of the fireworks or shows. I've noticed as I take more trips, I've started taking more unique photos, like things that catch my eye and not necessarily things you'd find online.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Anti camera here. Love to live in the moment and don't what to be a pack mule.

Have Iphone camera if I really feel the need to take pic. also can buy photo pass if we desire the posed pics.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I have gone w/o camera for a few years. Don't really miss it at all.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
kathy884
DIS Veteran

I bring it on the trip, but not to the parks. I maybe two different days will take pictures of extended family at our resort, but that's it. So on a six day trip, I maybe just spend two different 1/2 hours taking some photos. Worth it though to get some great shots of the extended family from all over the country together.
kathy884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Camera - we started making photo books and finally made them for every trip taken back till 2000 (I wait for a free coupon or super discount one).

It's a great way to 'print' your memories. We did stop developing pictures about a year ago...

And the quality of the the photopass photographers have gone down...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

Haven't brought camera in awhile for the reasons others have said. If I'm in the mood I go to youtube or somewhere else and look at others pics and videos.

disneylove69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
flywithhope
Earning My Ears

Its a personal choice. If you want to go camera free, go camera free! Like others mentioned, your phone camera can be your back up as well as photo pass.

Do what makes you happy.
WDW- 1983, 1987-Polynesian, 1990 (surprise), 1993 (my birthday), 2002; 7/2006 (Honeymoon ) Polynesian; 5/2010-Yacht Club CL; 8/2011-Wilderness Lodge Villas; 8-9/2012-Polynesian; 9/2013-Beach Club (Celebrated husband's life )
flywithhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
PoohLover78
Mouseketeer

I usually take a camera to the parks. However, I do divide my trip into camera days and camera free days. Usually about 2/3 of the time is planned camera free, meaning if I was to spend 10 days in the parks, I'd bring the camera on 3, max 4 days to capture everything and then leave the camera back in the hotel.

That said, I also have high end camera equipment because I love taking photos so not bringing the camera would not be an option for me. I went to DL Paris once without the camera, just had my smartphone with me to take pics and I was kicking myself all the way through for not bringing the camera because there were so many great moments I wanted to capture and the smartphone just didn't do it justice at all.
1982 WDW POR - 1985 WDW CR - 1992 DLP Cheyenne - 1995 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 1997 WDW AS Sports - 1999 DLP Newport Bay - 2001 DL off site - 2003 DL off site - 2004 WDW off site - 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge - 2009 WDW POP - 2010 DLP Cheyenne - 2011 WDW AS Movies - 2012 DLP Cheyenne - 2013 WDW off site
PoohLover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Want to try this:

Leave the camera in the room safe. Bring a pen and notepad. When (or if) you see a scene you would like to photograph, write down the location and which way you are facing. Bring the camera the next day and go from location to location you wrote down and take your pictures.

Psst! I consider using the iPhone proliferously to take pictures as "camera" as opposed to "no camera."
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
Psst! I consider using the iPhone proliferously to take pictures as "camera" as opposed to "no camera."
Agree with you! Even worse if you take it with you to use the Phone in iPhone!

Back to the thread, I would not imagine my trip without my camera. I don't feel like I'm looking at my trip through that little screen... I mean, it's only a few seconds...

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

We don't go to Disney a lot, so I will be bringing a camera on this trip, but stuff that I have photographed on previous trips won't get re-shot. I have found myself more and more lately, in everyday life, not using the camera. Sometimes I do regret it afterwards, that I didn't take any pictures of a fun day, but then I remember: it was because I was actually present and enjoying the fun day! And he would never say so, but I know my DH is happier when I'm not stopping all the time to frame a shot.
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithhope View Post
Its a personal choice. If you want to go camera free, go camera free! Like others mentioned, your phone camera can be your back up as well as photo pass.

Do what makes you happy.
I agree, whatever makes you happy, just do it . Me personally, I could do without bringing our camera and just use our FP+ to get our pictures. However, DH loves the camera, therefore he is the one that is always wearing it around his neck and snapping away. He has been known to take anywhere from 500-600 pictures and just download it on our computer. Then he takes the best pictures and puts them on a dvd with background music (it's his Disney hobby along with pin collecting ). Now, if you want to talk about video recorders???? We used to take ours all the time, now we don't even bring that because DH likes his camera too much. I'm not complaining either, because I was the one that carried that and took the video, which I am not the best at doing anyways .
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

I always have my camera and really kick myself when I dont have it (even in every day life), but I am a scrapbooker so I *do* stuff with my photos (but I will say I dont take the standard shots either. There are too many really good shots that can be downloaded off the internet. I only take the unusual shots and even so still get around 2000 pics a trip ). I'd say, bring the camera and leave it in the room. If you go a few days and the iPhone works for you, then lesson learned and it only cost you a little carry-on space. If you go a day and regret not having it in the parks, you can bring it the next day. Easy cheesy! .

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: