Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

I find it telling that all of the Disney apps are for iOS only. There are no Android or Windows versions. Yes, there is a very close relationship between Disney and Apple.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
kaceyo
Earning My Ears

I was at Islands of Adventure yesterday and didn't find any cool Galaxy S4 cases. A cast member at the Harry Potter store told me that they don't carry phone cases because "Wizards don't use cell phones". At another store a cast member told me that Universal only carries Iphone cases but WattsamattaU is independent and might have others. The kiosk in Citywalk had a few but no Harry Potter.
kaceyo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
chasadchick
chasadchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex
I find it telling that all of the Disney apps are for iOS only. There are no Android or Windows versions. Yes, there is a very close relationship between Disney and Apple.
As a droid user with Disney apps on her phone, I can assure you this isn't the case.
chasadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
revdon64
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren

I doubt it has anything to do with Disney's relationship with Apple. There's so many different kinds of Android phones, how would they decide which ones to make cases for and which ones not to? Heck, if you go to a Best Buy you'll find a lot more cases for iPhones than you will for Androids, so it's not just Disney.
And Target and Walmart and the kiosk in the mall... that being said, we did see one or two cases for the S4 at Downtown Disney last night. They were in a store connected to the design a t shop. Lots of iphone cases but nothing for my Droid 4.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
CNYDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

When I was at Downtown Disney last year, I thought I saw some Galaxy S3 cases.
CNYDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasadchick View Post
As a droid user with Disney apps on her phone, I can assure you this isn't the case.
Yes which apps are you talking about. As far as I know Disney only has/had two official park apps. The current My Disney Experience and the one before. Maybe other non park apps.

All the other apps are third party apps and not from Disney.

As for no Windows Apps thats because Windows phones have just not caught on.

Last edited by chartle; 08-26-2013 at 08:08 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasadchick View Post
I'm also an Android user and the amount of "app's" (hate that word) that are official from The Walt Disney Co. are few and far between. The MDE application is available for an Android phone (I have an S3) but it is very inconsistent in how it works and sometimes just has to be deleted and reinstalled. The same MDE application is not available for Android tablets, will come up as not compatible with this device.

Now fast forward to Apple products. TWDC has numerous, very good, applications for the ipad (wife has many of them on her iPad - particularly for the grandkids) and they also work well between the phone and also the touch. Not even necessary to even use third party applications. Those same TWDC applications are not available for Android devices.

Disney's inter-relationship with Apple (you just have to look at who is on the Apple Board and who owns the most stock in TWDC for the inter-relationship) extends to all of the CM's park devices related to the new RFID enabled devices as all the handheld devices at the park entries, hotel lobbies, internal communications devices and the FP+ kiosks all all Apple devices.

Last edited by 11290; 08-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
fairy oma
Earning My Ears

Re: Galaxy S4 cases for HP World are available on the universal HP website to give you an idea of what is available. I hope you find one you like.
fairy oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
RandFamily
DIS Veteran

The relationship between Disney and Apple is definitely at play here, as others have mentioned. At one time Steve Jobs was the largest Disney shareholder. There is absolutely no doubt that they are privileging Apply products and apps, even though, in my mind, it's a foolish business decision.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandFamily View Post
The relationship between Disney and Apple is definitely at play here, as others have mentioned. At one time Steve Jobs was the largest Disney shareholder. There is absolutely no doubt that they are privileging Apply products and apps, even though, in my mind, it's a foolish business decision.
R. Iger (big chief at TWDC) is on the Apple board and a "trust" (or foundation - can't remember which and too lazy right now to look it up as it really doesn't matter) controlled by S. Jobs widow, is the largest outside stockholder of TWDC.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
biondagirl
Mouseketeer

I was there last week and I saw one android case.

biondagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #27
leeg229
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen Android cases of any kind for sale in the Emporium or in Hollywood Studios. I know there were three or four different Galaxy S3 cases but I think Disney may be purging it from their shelves. I personally have a Galaxy S4 and I get bummed out whenever I see a really cool looking iphone 5 case, but nothing for my phone.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We just got back on Sunday and I only saw one case for the Galaxy SIII and that was at the World of Disney store in DTD. We checked everywhere too as I have the Galaxy SIII and DH is getting the Galaxy S4. Everything out is geared to Apple.

mommyrosa2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #29
MommelissaB
Earning My Ears

I have a Galaxy 3 so may try to look for one. It is pretty sad that everything out there is so iPhone focused. I wonder with MagicBands and FP+ if they will be doing more to support all kinds of phones since people will likely be relying on them more for their plans than in the past.
MommelissaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #30
CindyCan
DIS Vet really since 1997

We were there for two weeks and just returned on Sunday. We all got brand new phones before we left, so we were looking for 3 different android cases but no luck except S3 which we didn't need. The soft cases are too small my for Note 2 so I gave up.

My daughter did notice that the boxed cases have colour coding on the sides of the box. They are either blue, green or orange for iPhone, android or iPod. Green is for Android.
CindyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: