Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I'm unhappy about the lock-out period because DH likes to mix his drinks (usually the pomegranate lemonade with Sprite). THAT won't work now. Or what about drinks like root beer that are always foamy? Unless you can fill a little, let it settle, fill a little more, you're going to be lucky to get 8 ounces of drinkable liquid per refill.

And the blogs say the 2 or 3 minute period is just a trial, and that the machines are programmable to go up to 15 minutes between refills. I may not be a total soda pop addict, but on a hot day with a mug half-full of ice I can certainly knock back that first soda in less than 15 minutes.

Also, I read on the Dis Blog that the machine will dispense an automatic 16 ounce pour. So if I did load up on the ice, the soda will just overflow my cup? Yuck. Very messy.
It's been reported that you can mix soda. You'll get 12 oz total.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I'm unhappy about the lock-out period because DH likes to mix his drinks (usually the pomegranate lemonade with Sprite). THAT won't work now. Or what about drinks like root beer that are always foamy? Unless you can fill a little, let it settle, fill a little more, you're going to be lucky to get 8 ounces of drinkable liquid per refill.

And the blogs say the 2 or 3 minute period is just a trial, and that the machines are programmable to go up to 15 minutes between refills. I may not be a total soda pop addict, but on a hot day with a mug half-full of ice I can certainly knock back that first soda in less than 15 minutes.

Also, I read on the Dis Blog that the machine will dispense an automatic 16 ounce pour. So if I did load up on the ice, the soda will just overflow my cup? Yuck. Very messy.
I'm at POFQ now, which has the new RFID mugs. I'm seeing no problems at all, and always a cm nearby (not at all in a police-ing manner; to help).

The soda machine dispenses only when you push the "push" button above your choice of soda. It does not automatically dispense any amount. If you stop pushing the button, it will stop pouring soda.

If someone was insanely parched, water is on every machine and is not part of RFID. I've filled my water bottle daily, and asked for a cup for water daily, no problem. I.e., you can fill the RFID mug many times with water without a lock out period. HTH
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

PS the machine dispenses by the ounce. It dispenses the total ounces the cup holds (12? 16? I don't know) and only then does the lock out period begin. Thus, if you put ice in the up, you will not dispense the entire amount permitted. You can dispense 2 ounces from several different sodas if you want, until the max the cup holds (without ice) is dispensed.

There is a little video-ish screen above the dispensing area that shows where you are - ie you can see if you are half way full, etc. If you filled your cup with ice, and then put soda in, the level on the video would stay pretty low. You could drink that standing there and refill if you wanted to.
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
kandb
DIS Veteran

To the poster who stated, "all this is silly over soda", unfortunately Disney doesn't think it's silly. Did you see the new price of a soda? I think a small is almost $3 and a large is over $3. Add up all that money to the millions of people who visit Disney. This is being done so Disney can make ALOT more money. And, they know people can't stand the taste of that nasty sulfur water in Florida.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
countryblonde314
Disney Princess

I understand the whole like cost is different and how its only for your stay. But we are getting annual passes in a couple of weeks and we already have so many of the same mugs from getting them from the free dining plan. We don't want to have to buy a new one everytime we go, has anyone heard if they will do something for those with the annual passes so we aren't spending so much money and getting so many cups?

countryblonde314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
wreck99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblonde314 View Post
I understand the whole like cost is different and how its only for your stay. But we are getting annual passes in a couple of weeks and we already have so many of the same mugs from getting them from the free dining plan. We don't want to have to buy a new one everytime we go, has anyone heard if they will do something for those with the annual passes so we aren't spending so much money and getting so many cups?
I'm interested in this too. We have our mugs from our last trip and going again in October. Would be nice to just re-use the mugs again.

March 2013 - Art of Animation (1st Disney Trip)
October 2013 - Saratoga Springs (1st DVC Trip)
March 2014 - Wilderness Lodge (No Kids!)
September 2014 - Animal Kingdom Kidani Village

Proud DVC Owner at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa!

wreck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

This may seem like a question that does not need to be asked; but, you never know. I do not drink soda and drink only water. I refilled my mug last year many times from the soda dispensing unit by pressing the button for water. Will that still be an option?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
jedijuhl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaj1431 View Post
This may seem like a question that does not need to be asked; but, you never know. I do not drink soda and drink only water. I refilled my mug last year many times from the soda dispensing unit by pressing the button for water. Will that still be an option?
You should have no problems with getting water from the dispensers. Craig and Shawn just did a video review of the new system on the DIS YouTube channel http://youtu.be/BviUT_0yc9E

Water, coffee and hot chocolate are all available. Water dispenser is part of the soda machine but does not require a chip mug.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

jedijuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
melnbil
DIS Veteran

I understand having to pay x$ for the number of days to refill. If you are on FD and automatically get the mug, do you then have to turn around and pay for the fills, or does it automatically program for length of stay. And if I understand correctly, we can bring the mugs back for future stays and just add more time to the mug. Is this correct??

melnbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblonde314 View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I visit WDW 3-4 times each year, sometimes as short as 2 day stays (work takes me to Orlando, then I "stay and play" if possible). I don't drink much soda, maybe 1-2 cups at breakfast.

I will NOT buy a new mug each and every visit, nor will I pay $11.99 for 4 beverages. But I do like to mix soda (half diet, half regular)--so what Disney has done in my case (and yes I know I am the exception--nor do I think they care!) is that I will simply stop buying the mugs and bring my own re-sealable bottles and use ice from the resort's ice machine.

IF Disney does something for AP holders, I would still expect it to not be very cost effective (for us.)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I visit WDW 3-4 times each year, sometimes as short as 2 day stays (work takes me to Orlando, then I "stay and play" if possible). I don't drink much soda, maybe 1-2 cups at breakfast.

I will NOT buy a new mug each and every visit, nor will I pay $11.99 for 4 beverages. But I do like to mix soda (half diet, half regular)--so what Disney has done in my case (and yes I know I am the exception--nor do I think they care!) is that I will simply stop buying the mugs and bring my own re-sealable bottles and use ice from the resort's ice machine.

IF Disney does something for AP holders, I would still expect it to not be very cost effective (for us.)
We have APs, are FL residents and go for many long weekends per year. From now on I will bring soda to the room and fill my old mug with ice from either the machine or hall ice machine.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijuhl View Post
You should have no problems with getting water from the dispensers. Craig and Shawn just did a video review of the new system on the DIS YouTube channel http://youtu.be/BviUT_0yc9E

Water, coffee and hot chocolate are all available. Water dispenser is part of the soda machine but does not require a chip mug.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

The DISunplugged team did an extremely extensive review of the new mugs. They said you should be able to bring back these mugs to be reprogrammed for future trips. No buying a billion mugs!

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapunk View Post
The DISunplugged team did an extremely extensive review of the new mugs. They said you should be able to bring back these mugs to be reprogrammed for future trips. No buying a billion mugs!
I was just going to comment on this as well. I just finished watching their video and they specifically said that according to CM's, you'll be able to bring your old mug back at a future stay and have it reprogrammed. No mention of what the pricing structure will be, I imagine that's still being ironed out.

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

I feel like this is going to end up like the Xbox One has for Microsoft.

Companies are using technologies nowadays to protect themselves from losing money to people who take advantage of the system, however, they are screwing their customers in the process.

Microsoft wants to make it so that you can only play a game on one console so that people can't share games, etc and avoid buying the titles. However, what they are essentially doing is telling their customers they don't trust them...and they don't come out on the good side...and they've lost a lot of customers because of it...so they went back on it and said they ARE allowing used games to be used now.

I picture the same happening for Disney. They, like Microsoft, won't be just watching their customers get angry and leave. I think they'll drop the idea of a waiting period...and likely just keep the idea of using the technology to make sure a new mug is purchased every trip.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: