Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
lauradis
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East of cleveland ohio
Posts: 2,219

Wow its not shut down yet.. Mod must be off having fun today.
lauradis is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
thornton0511
DIS Veteran
 
thornton0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east texas
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I am well aware of tipping out policy and you are incorrect the restaraunt does not go by what tip u were expected to receive they take the percent from your actually total from the evening. So if i received 100 bucks for the night they take the percent from that not from the expected tip per check that is rediculous
I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. If I was a server and I sold $700 worth of food/drink in one shift at the end of the shift I would have to pay the bartender $7 and the busser $7 or 1% of my sales for the shift. That $14 comes out of the tips that I received for the evening from customers. So what I am saying is that the amount you tip should depend on how much your total bill is because the higher you bill the higher the tip out is going to be for your server to have to pay. And this is not unusual at all.
__________________
TR in Progress: Summertime and Disneyland...Oo-De-Lally!! Dec 2012 TR: Jingle Bells...AKL...Disney for 10 Whole Days
Jenn(Me) DH DS(12) DD(8)
2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2012 CBR 2013 POP/AKL 2014 Disneyland
thornton0511 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. If I was a server and I sold $700 worth of food/drink in one shift at the end of the shift I would have to pay the bartender $7 and the busser $7 or 1% of my sales for the shift. That $14 comes out of the tips that I received for the evening from customers. So what I am saying is that the amount you tip should depend on how much your total bill is because the higher you bill the higher the tip out is going to be for your server to have to pay. And this is not unusual at all.
I guess things are different in texas cause here in n.y. it is not done that way the tips are put into a jar in office as tables are cleared and then counted at end of night and then percentages are doled out to the bartender and bus help.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
thornton0511
DIS Veteran
 
thornton0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east texas
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I guess things are different in texas cause here in n.y. it is not done that way the tips are put into a jar in office as tables are cleared and then counted at end of night and then percentages are doled out to the bartender and bus help.
No worries every place does it somewhat different I'm sure. I think at the end of the day we can all agree life would be more simple if companies would just pay all of their employees a just rate and not leave it up to you and me to determine what they should be paid lol
__________________
TR in Progress: Summertime and Disneyland...Oo-De-Lally!! Dec 2012 TR: Jingle Bells...AKL...Disney for 10 Whole Days
Jenn(Me) DH DS(12) DD(8)
2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2012 CBR 2013 POP/AKL 2014 Disneyland
thornton0511 is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #50
markmcalear
Mouseketeer
 
markmcalear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 198

On average I will be in the restaurant for an hour yet my tip is expected to exceed the average hourly wage!?!?! Madness!!
__________________
markmcalear is online now  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #51
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
No worries every place does it somewhat different I'm sure. I think at the end of the day we can all agree life would be more simple if companies would just pay all of their employees a just rate and not leave it up to you and me to determine what they should be paid lol
Agreed
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #52
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran
 
lizzi6692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Something that has not been brought up in this wonderful discussion so far is the fact that at some restaurants servers HAVE to "tip out" other positions based on the amount of their sales at the end of the shift. For example the bussers and the bartenders. If you have never worked in a restaurant you probably would not know this. So lets say the total for your meal was $100 and your server has to tip out the bartender and busser 1% of your total....$2 not much but that comes out of the server's own tips so if you do not tip at all your server just had to pay $2 to serve you...the higher your ticket total the more out of pocket your server is. Where I live servers get paid $2.13 an hour. So if I had to wait on you at that hourly rate and then pay an addition $2 of my own money to serve you that would not be comforting at all IMO.
This and servers are taxed on a certain percentage of the food sales at their table. That is the main reason tipping should be based on a percentage of your bill rather than a set amount, because that is how the server is taxed. Whether or not you tip that much they are required by law to claim it as income. And while tipping out policies may be different at different restaurants, the way servers are taxed is not.
__________________



Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is online now  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #53
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran
 
lizzi6692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post

No worries every place does it somewhat different I'm sure. I think at the end of the day we can all agree life would be more simple if companies would just pay all of their employees a just rate and not leave it up to you and me to determine what they should be paid lol
And while that sounds great, how much would customers complain of a sudden the cost of food went up 20% to make up for not having to tip?
__________________



Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is online now  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #54
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
And while that sounds great, how much would customers complain of a sudden the cost of food went up 20% to make up for not having to tip?
Evrything goes up gas,rent,groceries i think the world will live if waitstaff get paid a real wage even if the cost of the meal increases.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #55
MolonLabe
DTOM
 
MolonLabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
On average I will be in the restaurant for an hour yet my tip is expected to exceed the average hourly wage!?!?! Madness!!

Order cheaper food then.

"average hourly wage"? Where? That doesn't even make any sense.

If you can't afford to tip, eat somewhere else. Stop stealing from the waitstaff.
__________________

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #56
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran
 
lizzi6692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
Evrything goes up gas,rent,groceries i think the world will live if waitstaff get paid a real wage even if the cost of the meal increases.
Things rarely go up 20% all at once. And it would put a lot of strain on small businesses in particular because they would lose customers because of it(and unlike larger businesses they don't have the ability to lose money for any length of time while kinks are worked out of the system) and then jobs would be lost as a result to make up for it.
__________________



Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is online now  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #57
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy
 
mom2my3kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,203

The whole point of serving is the better you are the better tips you make..trust me I would not serve tables for minimum wage...I just work at a local breakfast place I dont do bad, been serving fifteen years so I know what I am doing..But I am not perfect I do make the rare mistake or someone just drinks down the soda so fast you have not even put the order in..so things do happen..Its the reason I stay, they are very flexable and with kids and vacations that helps..plus a majority of people are not jerks you meet alot of nice people..Everyone have a great day as I am sure this is going to be locked soon...
__________________
Myself 41, DH 45 , DD 20 , DS 16 , DS 11

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #58
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
Things rarely go up 20% all at once. And it would put a lot of strain on small businesses in particular because they would lose customers because of it(and unlike larger businesses they don't have the ability to lose money for any length of time while kinks are worked out of the system) and then jobs would be lost as a result to make up for it.
I disagree if the customer goes in willing to pay for the price of the meal and the tip originally but now finds the price is just for the meal why would they be upset? If i think the meal is too expensive i wont order it i will order something else but at least i am not obligated to pay the waitress to bring it to me. I dont think people will stop eating out if this practice changes.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #59
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3kids View Post
The whole point of serving is the better you are the better tips you make..trust me I would not serve tables for minimum wage...I just work at a local breakfast place I dont do bad, been serving fifteen years so I know what I am doing..But I am not perfect I do make the rare mistake or someone just drinks down the soda so fast you have not even put the order in..so things do happen..Its the reason I stay, they are very flexable and with kids and vacations that helps..plus a majority of people are not jerks you meet alot of nice people..Everyone have a great day as I am sure this is going to be locked soon...
I would serve tables for minimum wage anyday over working at wendys or some other fast food place.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #60
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy
 
mom2my3kids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I would serve tables for minimum wage anyday over working at wendys or some other fast food place.
LMAO yeah okay you go right ahead..
__________________
Myself 41, DH 45 , DD 20 , DS 16 , DS 11

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.