Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
chimommy
Mouseketeer

Dinner: Whispering Canyon or Chef Mickeys"

The times I was able to get are not great for our first night in the world... I have an early dinner whispering canyon and a little on the later side for Chef Mickey's (for my kids).... I thought my kids would like Chef Mickey's more. I do also have a breakfast reservation for Chef Mickey's on our last day... just incase we wanted to do breakfast instead... Anyone with little kids have any input? How is the food at Chef Mickey's? which do kids usually like more?
chimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
DLFT
Mouseketeer

I personally wouldn't do Chef Mickey's twice. I LOVE breakfast at CM's, but have never been super impressed with dinner. I'd go with Whispering Canyon, as it works better timewise for your kids plus it gives them two different fun dining experiences in one trip! Plus WC has pretty good food.
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports December 2014-Ft. Wilderness Cabins
DLFT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
harbin
Mouseketeer

I haven't been to whispering canyon yet but plan to go next visit. We did CM breakfast last visit, and while the food was good, the experience was very disappointing. We waited a very long time to be seated (25 min) despite having a reservation. We did not see a single character until well after we were done eating... And I have the slowest eating two year old in the world. We ended up leaving before all the characters came by, because we had been there close to three hours. We did character breakfasts at different locations every morning, this was the one I disliked the most. Hollywood and Vine, Tusker house, and Crystal Palace were our favorites (all breakfast)
harbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

Chef Mickeys! We go there almost every trip. Been to WC and plan never to go back. Everything was below average - service, food and fun. Didn't even see the appeal. The WL is beautiful and worth a peek.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
troll buster
Mouseketeer

I would give WC a try since you've never been! I wont go back to CM again, very disappointing!
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

WCC is always a fun experience

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Funny how everyone has a different opinion. I went to Whispering Canyon last year and vowed never to go back. They had just changed their menu and it was TERRIBLE. Our whole party of 8, including 4 kids, hated it. The way they now served things was a bit odd and their desserts (which used to be incredible) we downright gross. Their was some kind of jalapeño cheesecake with a chocolate crust that was inedible (and we LOVE cheesecake). Oh how I longed for the old days of their incredible apple pie. It was so bad, I wrote a letter of discontent, begging them to go back to their old menu and old ways!

So with that said, I would check out the menus online and see what you think might be the better culinary fit for your kids. I truly don't suggest Whispering Canyon anymore which is sad as it was one of my family's favorites. I have only done CM for breakfast and enjoy it enough as an experience but not one to revisit over and over. I haven't done dinner there so I can't speak to that.
Are there any other restaurants you could try to score a ressie at instead? I am thinking if you want a hotel restaurant, some winners with kids and adults are 1900 Park Fare and Ohanas. Maybe try to check and see if there is any availablitiy and go somewhere where you will all enjoy! Good luck.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Chef Mickey's for breakfast (because the food is better, and the character interaction is the same).

Whispering Canyon for dinner (because the food is better, IMHO, and the "character" interaction is amusing..even if they've toned it down a bit).

I wouldn't do Chef Mickey's twice in one trip....because we don't feel the food would be worth it. It's not terrible, but..it's not amazing, either. And once you've hung out with Chef Mickey and the gang once...I think it would lose some luster the second time. "Look kids, there goes Chef Mickey!"

We really liked the food at Whispering Canyon. Not a HUGE fan of the menu change in principal..but we usually did the skillets, anyway...so it probably doesn't change much in practice for us. We still like their desserts (though I did order the jalepeno cheesecake once...and will probably stay away from it in the future), and the overall quality of the food/service. They've toned down the antics, a bit...they're not quite as in your face...but it IS a lot of fun (especially when you ask for ketchup)!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Chef Mickey's for breakfast (because the food is better, and the character interaction is the same).

Whispering Canyon for dinner (because the food is better, IMHO, and the "character" interaction is amusing..even if they've toned it down a bit).

I wouldn't do Chef Mickey's twice in one trip....because we don't feel the food would be worth it. It's not terrible, but..it's not amazing, either. And once you've hung out with Chef Mickey and the gang once...I think it would lose some luster the second time. "Look kids, there goes Chef Mickey!"

We really liked the food at Whispering Canyon. Not a HUGE fan of the menu change in principal..but we usually did the skillets, anyway...so it probably doesn't change much in practice for us. We still like their desserts (though I did order the jalepeno cheesecake once...and will probably stay away from it in the future), and the overall quality of the food/service. They've toned down the antics, a bit...they're not quite as in your face...but it IS a lot of fun (especially when you ask for ketchup)!
This. Best of both worlds, CM for breakfast and WCC for dinner.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: