Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #106
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
I tip about $1-2 per day alone and $5 per day for hubby and me. It doesn't seem to impact service at all. I have had both good and bad housekeeping service regardless of tipping.

It frustrates me that housekeeping staff will not listen to requests that I make such as NOT Making my bed after I made it!!! I like to keep the bedspread off the bed and leave sheets untucked and prefer to set the room up to my own preferences. Amazing to come back to tucked sheets, bins back to the usual spot, etc. It is more work for me to undo their work at the end of each day. All I really want is to have the trash emptied and fresh towels left. Requests and written notes to that effect just get ignored.

So, sometimes I have wondered if I didn't tip if I would get what I want and less work done! LOL

Anyway, I have always tipped and can't bring myself not to do so except in cases of flagrant poor service.

Ironically, this is the first time that I heard the housekeeping is considered an UNTIPPED position. We were taught that tips were a necessary indication of appreciation of another's efforts on our behalf.

Tipping or not for a known untipped position is at each guest's discretion, IMO.
Leave your "do not disturb" sign on your door and they won't touch your sheets. You can take out your trash and get fresh towels without Mousekeeping disturbing your room.

It is a non-tipped position because the employees and their union decided that they wanted a higher wage in place of being tipped.

Really makes it unfair for all of the other employees.

Bill

Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #107
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Leave your "do not disturb" sign on your door and they won't touch your sheets. You can take out your trash and get fresh towels without Mousekeeping disturbing your room.

It is a non-tipped position because the employees and their union decided that they wanted a higher wage in place of being tipped.

Really makes it unfair for all of the other employees.

Bill
If housekeepers made a killing in wages, nobody would ever quit and there would never be positions available. It looks like Disney is constantly hiring housekeepers. The maximum annual salary for a housekeeper is about $28K per year. If you have a family of four, you are eligible for all sorts of government assistance at that wage because at today's cost of living it's barely livable.

Whether you want to tip or not is personal. I tip because I'm grateful for the service, and because I believe it's customary to tip hotel staff and that it's bad manners if you don't tip. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but you'll never convince me otherwise and I doubt I'd convince you.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #108
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
If housekeepers made a killing in wages, nobody would ever quit and there would never be positions available. It looks like Disney is constantly hiring housekeepers. The maximum annual salary for a housekeeper is about $28K per year. If you have a family of four, you are eligible for all sorts of government assistance at that wage because at today's cost of living it's barely livable.

Whether you want to tip or not is personal. I tip because I'm grateful for the service, and because I believe it's customary to tip hotel staff and that it's bad manners if you don't tip. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but you'll never convince me otherwise and I doubt I'd convince you.
It is what it is, I don't know why we made it customary to tip hotel staff and not others. Some people tip the attendant in the restrooms but we don't seem to tip the toilet cleaner in the parks. Some people tip the taxi driver but not the bus driver. We tip a maître d' in a fancy restaurant for taking us to a table but we don't tip the hostess that does the same job at a less fancy restaurant.

Do what you want, I just feel that it's necessary to let people know that Disney, the housekeepers at Disney and their union elected to make housekeeping a non-tipped position.

Bill

Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #109
cobright
DIS Veteran

Just for the historical perspective of a rather extreme variety...

When the revolution comes (and I hope it doesn't in this country any time soon) but when it does there are things you can do to minimize the risk of being lined up against the wall.

It's happened every time a nation with huge income disparity collapses, the revolutionaries round up every landlord, noble, and wealthy jerk. Revolution in China was famous for its trials of the landlords and moneylenders. Same in Cuba and Guatamala.

I'm not saying that someone with enough money to vacation in WDW deserves a beheading, but someone like this who can't part with an extra $15 to $20 a week to help the woman cleaning the stains out of his toilet...

It takes so little to not be that guy... Tip a houskeeper, delay the revolution.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #110
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post

When the revolution comes (and I hope it doesn't in this country any time soon) but when it does there are things you can do to minimize the risk of being lined up against the wall.

It's happened every time a nation with huge income disparity collapses, the revolutionaries round up every landlord, noble, and wealthy jerk. Revolution in China was famous for its trials of the landlords and moneylenders. Same in Cuba and Guatamala.

I'm not saying that someone with enough money to vacation in WDW deserves a beheading, but someone like this who can't part with an extra $15 to $20 a week to help the woman cleaning the stains out of his toilet...

It takes so little to not be that guy... Tip a houskeeper, delay the revolution.
Seriously???
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #111
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post

Uhhhhhh......

And that's why this WDW vacationer owns "assault rifles" and "high capacity" magazines. I'll be taking a lot of proles with me when they come for me.

Don't go quietly when the thieves and looters come calling.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: