Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
yogik
Earning My Ears

Help needed-Our family vacation

Hello everyone!
This is my first time to write here and the first time to cruise with DCL, so hope anyone have any suggestion how to resolve our problem.

We Booked 2 rooms on Disney Fantasy cruising on 14sep2013, we actually made a mistake and decided to take for our parents the restricted category VGT, for ourselves we booked category 5E GTY. Now we got the rooms assigned- our 5E GTY was upgraded to category 4C room 7106 and the parent got category 5A room 9550. The only thing we didn't take in consideration when booking these categories is that even if we link our bookings no one can guarantee the rooms to be close to each other.
Our parent don't speak English at all and we have to translate and assist them when we cruising together. Do you know of any way we can contact the guests in room 9548 category 5A and offer them our upgraded 4C 7106 so we can be connected to our parents?
I spoke several times to Disney but they can help with any thing and they have no recommendation how to resolve this problem... Many thanks to you all Alexander.
yogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

You could always "stalk" the room to ask them

But I really think it will be okay. Meet the Room Attendant and explain the situation and what your parents might want or need. Probably most of the time, everyone will be out of the rooms or in Dining Room.

You might even luck out with someone who speaks your parents native language Can hope for a little

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Even two decks away, you're just a phone call away. Each room has "wave phones" which are small cordless phones, not much bigger than cell phones, for guests to keep in touch with each other any time/anywhere on the ship. If your parents need something from the stateroom host, or any other crew member, they can phone you to be a translator.

It will work out.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
1025cruise
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, this is the risk you take with guarantee cabins, you are guaranteed a cabin, in or better than the category you booked. Nothing more than than. If it was important that the two cabins be near each other, you should have booked specific cabins.
1025cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
bluecasbah
Mouseketeer

What language do your parents speak? Remember that the ships are international. There will be cast members from all different countries speaking almost every language.
bluecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
yogik
Earning My Ears

My parents speak Russian or Hebrew...i guess i've had my lesson with these restricted room categories...no more!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I don't have anything to offer as far as your rooming, but I thought is let you know that there is an extensive group for your cruise, including myself. Go to the cruise meets section and you'll find the thread for our cruise, and introduce yourself if you're interested. We're doing an fe, planning to get together, even a beer exchange and watching football games.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I have seen a thread where staterooms were swapped with the OK of the Original stateroom guests.

It was similar to yourself, they required the stateroom next door to their family, they asked the family next door and they said yes then both went down to guest services and it was done. It all depends on the family. I'm sure one of the rooms either side of your mum and Dad will hopefully agree.

We are on this Cruise and we are in the Cruise meet. We are on the 10th floor though.

This is the Cruise Meet for your Cruise.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....994128&page=38

I have posted on our Meet that you are looking for these Rooms.
Would even 9552 be an option, its not adjoining but its next door.

Last edited by Callymum; 08-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
yogik
Earning My Ears

Thank you Disney Dreamer!!!
This cruise is actually part of our Honeymoon vacation staring in Disney world for 10 nights and the parents are about to celebrate their 35th anniversary. So we'll see how it goes But thank you so so so much for the invitation it is so so kind of you!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

VGT's are really a wonderful way to save some money. I also think you will not have as many problems as you foresee. You should be fine. You can go with your parents to their cabin and meet their stateroom hosts and communicate any concerns with them.

There are many non-English speaking guests onboard all the time that crew deal with so I really don't think it will be bad. There are many Russian speaking crew onboard as well. Look at the "where is my favorite DCL cast member" thread and post on suggestions for requesting a Russian speaking server...that may make your parents feel more a part of the dining experience (and I know many servers LOVE when guests peak their native language....who often miss communicating in their native language). If you can't request one in advance, once you board ask about requesting a Russian speaking server.

Good luck and definitely join your meets thread and get acquainted there.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
kathi
DIS Veteran

I agree with Chris31997 - speak with their stateroom attendant and make sure they know how to use the wave phone to call you if they need translation. People don't generally spend that much time in the room. I would just make sure they know how to find things on the ship (take them on a tour the first day) so they don't feel trapped in their room if not with you. Have a great cruise!!

You might also go visit the DIS cruise meet board for your cruise and see if there are any other members who either speak Russian or Hebrew. I bet it's likely you will at least find Hebrew speakers. They might like to be able to talk to other folks during the cruise.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
yogik
Earning My Ears

Well I guess you all made me feel ok with this situation.
Besides, now Sergey (my other half) seems to be very happy with the upgrade to the 4c category we got and the fact his mother in law will be slightly in a different location so i guess i will do my best to explain them everything, talk to their room attendant and make sure they can use the phone.
Thank you so much you are all most helpful!!!
We are a Diamond member with Royal Caribbean and this is our 1st Disney cruise, hope we'll like it
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
ldo
DIS Veteran

there is really little communication needed with the cabin steward that hand signals can't do--like more towels, ice, pillows. There is a "make up my cabin" and a "Do not disturb" signs to put outside the door. Explain that you your inlaws and they should be fine--and I agree with others--you can ALWAYS have the wave phone with you for anything else--just be sure to explain and test the wave phones with them in the room and you outside the door so that they understand how it works. I agree that a little space for a honeymoon is a good idea. Also, request that guest service seat you for dinner with a Russian speaking server or asst server--I am pretty sure that they have them, as they now have a number of Eastern Block employees.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

We once traveled in a group where one person did not speak fluent English and was often not understood. We created index cards with phrases in her language (Chinese) on one side and English on the other. Not too many, just the basics. We hooked them together with key rings and she carried them in her pouch.
Restroom, towels, elevator, Disney Ship (in case lost from us in port) etc. This gave her the freedom she enjoyed.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogik
Hello everyone!
This is my first time to write here and the first time to cruise with DCL, so hope anyone have any suggestion how to resolve our problem.

We Booked 2 rooms on Disney Fantasy cruising on 14sep2013, we actually made a mistake and decided to take for our parents the restricted category VGT, for ourselves we booked category 5E GTY. Now we got the rooms assigned- our 5E GTY was upgraded to category 4C room 7106 and the parent got category 5A room 9550. The only thing we didn't take in consideration when booking these categories is that even if we link our bookings no one can guarantee the rooms to be close to each other.
Our parent don't speak English at all and we have to translate and assist them when we cruising together. Do you know of any way we can contact the guests in room 9548 category 5A and offer them our upgraded 4C 7106 so we can be connected to our parents?
I spoke several times to Disney but they can help with any thing and they have no recommendation how to resolve this problem... Many thanks to you all Alexander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum
I have seen a thread where staterooms were swapped with the OK of the Original stateroom guests.

It was similar to yourself, they required the stateroom next door to their family, they asked the family next door and they said yes then both went down to guest services and it was done. It all depends on the family. I'm sure one of the rooms either side of your mum and Dad will hopefully agree.

We are on this Cruise and we are in the Cruise meet. We are on the 10th floor though.

This is the Cruise Meet for your Cruise.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....994128&page=38

I have posted on our Meet that you are looking for these Rooms.
Would even 9552 be an option, its not adjoining but its next door.
Have you thought about askingntongive up your upgrade to be next to them. Maybe the cabin next to thwm would like the upgrade. It would be harder to move your parwnts to the upgrade verses down grading your room. I would think.. good luck.. regardless you and your parents will have a blast..
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: