Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #91
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen_angel727 View Post
We did tip this time, even though we usually don't, and frankly I don't know if we will again, we left $10 on the first day ($5 per couple) and the same on the 2nd then stopped...even with the tip the garbages weren't emptied, no new towels (we put used ones in the tub to be brought to laundry...usually we don't do this but they were dirty - mud from our feet). and we had to call down to ask for toilet paper twice during our week stay...so frankly I don't think the $20 was worth it at all
This would not have been okay with me. I would have made a call and not just for TP. I'm sorry you had this experience. For me, one of the best parts of a vacation is that I don't have to replace towels, change sheets, empty trash and check TP levels. I expect to have all of these things taken care of.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #92
tidefan
DIS Veteran

We had never heard of tipping housekeeping until reading these boards either...

As to a "tipped position", they will fight it like crazy because if it is considered a tipped position, then minimum wage laws are different and they could be subject to making a little over $2/hour like the waitstaff...

Upcoming: AKV, SSR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #93
PrincessShanShan
Mouseketeer

Another Alabama southerner (ROLL TIDE!!!!) who never heard of tipping housekeeping until I read about it here. I don't tip housekeeping unless I've specifically asked for something---extra towels, blankets, pillows, soap/shampoo, etc.
Disneymoon Dec. 2006 BWV & Cont. Atrium Club
~December 22~
Living our happily ever after
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #94
catnik

DIS Veteran

Having worked as a waitress in my high school and college days and understanding that many of the "mousekeepers" are moms with kids, I tip $1/person each day. I can honestly say that we have never, in all our trips, had any issues with housekeeping other than our room being cleaned later in the day when the kids were ready to unwind from the parks. Is our room cleaned better because we tip or because we are lucky? I have no clue. I just know that whatever they are paying the housekeeping staff is probably not enough to support a family and I can spare an extra $4/day (the cost of what, a coke in any park??) to help them out.

1993@Contemporary; 1995@Buena Vista Resort; 1996@Wilderness Lodge; 1997@Dixing Landing; 1998@Port Orleans/French Quarter; 1999@Polynesian; 2000@Disneyland Hotel (concierge); 2004@Polynesian (concierge); 2005@Beach Club (concierge); 2006@Port Orleans/Riverside; October 2007:Wilderness Lodge Villas and AKL (concierge); May 2010: Bay Lake Towers; Wilderness Lodge Villas November 2011; Poly CL May 2013; upcoming: Poly November 2013

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #95
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

The way that I handle it is to leave one dollar per person per day at a family resort.

If I am staying at a business hotel for a business trip, I tip two dollars per day per person.

The reason being that at a family resort (disney) there are many rooms that have children and adults in them. There are far fewer rooms with one person in them than there are rooms with three or four people in them. In business hotels, there is mostly one person in a room, or maybe two if a spouse comes along. In each case, the mouse/housekeeper cleans about sixteen rooms per day.

If a mouse/housekeeper makes an average of two dollars per room per day in tips, that adds up to about eight thousand dollars a year in tips, or about fifty percent of their base salary.

If my stay is only two nights at a family resort or one night at at business hotel and it's just me or me and a girlfriend, I leave five bucks when I leave.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #96
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMomma View Post
Well now I have to ask where you stayed!? I certainly wouldn't have continued to leave a tip.
We were at POP...we only left a tip fir the first 2 nights, the fist night just because, the 2nd to maybe step things up a bit...but nothing after that. However, the last time we stayed at POP they were wonderful, even put towel animals and our stuffed mascot in funny poses and such (for 2 adults)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
This would not have been okay with me. I would have made a call and not just for TP. I'm sorry you had this experience. For me, one of the best parts of a vacation is that I don't have to replace towels, change sheets, empty trash and check TP levels. I expect to have all of these things taken care of.
We're pretty easy going, so as long as nothing was "dirty" we were OK. I did talk to the desk and they said they would "look into it" and I did send an email when I got home. But we had bigger issues on our trip (Only 2 of our reservations included the allergy I requested, the others we had to deal with at every meal) so this wasn't a big deal to us THIS time around

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (POP)

Last edited by fallen_angel727; 06-06-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #97
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

We tip

We didn't have mousekeeping clean every day we were there (didn't think we needed anyone to remake the beds, etc since we were going to be there a whole week), we had the privacy sign out the whole time but even when the sign is out unless we have called to tell them we don't need mousekeeping that day, they left a bag with the supplies needed for the next day. A couple of days I caught the gal doing the cleaning and just got what we needed. Every other day, I gave her an envelope with $5 in it. It happened to be the same gal all the week we were there (Marie was I think her name). At the end of our stay, I personally gave her another envelope and thanked her for her service.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #98
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I read an article not long ago about tipping housekeeping in the US and they did a poll and found it split straight down the middle just about 50/50 of those who do and don't. Not sure if it's regional or what.
30% tip according to CNN-
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/24...ing/index.html

Prior to the Dis I never even considered tipping for general house keeping.

The responses here on Dis are very skewed towards tipping, heck look at how many people wind up spending money to make up fancy envelops for "mousekeeping"... it's bizarre, lol.

I have tipped in the past for things, for example asking for something extra or someone making an extra trip, sure. When my girls were smaller, sometimes some cheerios would get spilled or something and I'd leave a tip because there was something extra to clean up that there shouldn't have been.

I'm in the crowd that there is was too much tipping going on for positions that are historically not a tipped position.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #99
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post

30% tip according to CNN-
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/24...ing/index.html

Prior to the Dis I never even considered tipping for general house keeping.

The responses here on Dis are very skewed towards tipping, heck look at how many people wind up spending money to make up fancy envelops for "mousekeeping"... it's bizarre, lol.

I have tipped in the past for things, for example asking for something extra or someone making an extra trip, sure. When my girls were smaller, sometimes some cheerios would get spilled or something and I'd leave a tip because there was something extra to clean up that there shouldn't have been.

I'm in the crowd that there is was too much tipping going on for positions that are historically not a tipped position.
I agree also.... In 1977, we started our visits to WDW and their brochettes stated, no tipping necessary but appreciated...

We felt even back then, the price for the room was more than enough to cover the help...still feel the same way, housekeepers are laid a rate ( which the know beforehand) that is decent in the industry... no subsidy necessary and that how we feel...

This board are the ones creating this tipping procedure... If you feel it's necessary, have at it.. But tipping to garner better service, towel animals is not right... They are paid to do a job, do it and move on... All I paid for is a clean room, amenities and towels.... sorry, but it's how I was brought up...

If we drive to WDW and stop in route at a motel, we never left a tip, never crossed my mind...never even seen the housekeeper...!

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #100
smiths02
DIS Veteran

We didn't tip our first time b/c we didn't know we should...
I discovered Disboards and we did the two other times. So I dont mind it BUT Disney and our cruise are the only places we have tipped housekeeping.

However, I figured that cleaning my room was included in my room fee. According to Disney it is.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #101
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post

I agree also.... In 1977, we started our visits to WDW and their brochettes stated, no tipping necessary but appreciated...

We felt even back then, the price for the room was more than enough to cover the help...still feel the same way, housekeepers are laid a rate ( which the know beforehand) that is decent in the industry... no subsidy necessary and that how we feel...

This board are the ones creating this tipping procedure... If you feel it's necessary, have at it.. But tipping to garner better service, towel animals is not right... They are paid to do a job, do it and move on... All I paid for is a clean room, amenities and towels.... sorry, but it's how I was brought up...

If we drive to WDW and stop in route at a motel, we never left a tip, never crossed my mind...never even seen the housekeeper...!
The boards did not create the tipping procedure. I have been tipping housekeepers for 30 years. I do think that message boards do create discussions that share other people's choices, and if you had never been exposed to choice, you might get that impression. I do agree that a tip should not grant you better service, and itn Disney, it will not. For me, it is a simple thank you for enhancing my vacation, and well worth the few dollars a day.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #102
gschon
Mouseketeer

good tippers get better service...that's just how it is.

I'm not saying bad/no tippers get bad service. But, If you want to make a good experience great, be friendly and be a good tipper.

Dixie Landings

Caribbean Beach Resort, September 2014
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #103
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

The only time I tip housekeeping at a hotel is if my group has made a mess in the room. If I'm by myself or with people who are clean and organized, the room barely looks used when we're done. And at WDW I spend almost zero time in my room to begin with.

Back when I used to cram 12 people into a hotel room for anime conventions as a teen, we left money for the housekeeper because we would make a horrible mess, my high school friends were slobs. People would dye their hair in the hotel sink, etc.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #104
bookgirl2632
DIS Veteran

Growing up, our family always left a tip for housekeeping, even when we were only staying one night on the road in a motel. It was just something that I thought was the norm in the industry. I didn't know that not everyone tipped until I started reading these boards. I was surprised that so many people don't.

For my part, I will continue to tip. I appreciate the service that they are doing and I know it can't be all rainbows and sunshine for them. I realize they get a salary to compensate them, but if I can show my appreciation by giving them a bit more, I will.

1976 Offsite 1990 Offsite in Kissimmee 2001 CBR 2006 POR 2010 HRH
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #105
Babsy
DIS Veteran

It's up to you to decide....

I tip about $1-2 per day alone and $5 per day for hubby and me. It doesn't seem to impact service at all. I have had both good and bad housekeeping service regardless of tipping.

It frustrates me that housekeeping staff will not listen to requests that I make such as NOT Making my bed after I made it!!! I like to keep the bedspread off the bed and leave sheets untucked and prefer to set the room up to my own preferences. Amazing to come back to tucked sheets, bins back to the usual spot, etc. It is more work for me to undo their work at the end of each day. All I really want is to have the trash emptied and fresh towels left. Requests and written notes to that effect just get ignored.

So, sometimes I have wondered if I didn't tip if I would get what I want and less work done! LOL

Anyway, I have always tipped and can't bring myself not to do so except in cases of flagrant poor service.

Ironically, this is the first time that I heard the housekeeping is considered an UNTIPPED position. We were taught that tips were a necessary indication of appreciation of another's efforts on our behalf.

Tipping or not for a known untipped position is at each guest's discretion, IMO.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: