Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #46
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

jungle cruise is probably my favorite non-thrill attraction at disneyland. i love it. and i love the cheesy jokes - if you are going for excitement, thrill, or suspense (like you find with jaws), i think you're missing the point of the ride.

besides the fact that i love the cheesiness. i love that every experience is different depending on the skipper, to some extent. the jokes are usually the same. but sometimes they add in a new joke that is fun and surprising.

Anderson
Headed to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort November 10-24, 2012. Check out my Tokyo Trip Report
Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder with Monthly trips, 2007 to 2012
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century) and hopefully Sept 2013
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #47
JosieGirl71
Dreaming of sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightred View Post
My boys and I love the Tiki Room. DH had never been. He was hungry and cranky and he made us miserable he was so unhappy! Too bad because he loves parrots and birds, go figure! Nothing's fun if you are starving I guess!

Midnightred
The bolded section made me laugh.

November/December 2013: Ayres Inn Orange
November 2012: Crowne Plaza
September 2011: VGC to celebrate our 20th anniversary!
October 2010: Crowne Plaza
December 2008: Hyatt Regency
December 2007: Hilton
December 2004: Hojo's
JosieGirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #48
goooof1
Mouseketeer

The "immersive adventure" of the Jungle Cruise was decidedly MORE when we were kids! Once you have been on it a few times, you know what is out there. It's a known jungle and not so mysterious. Yes, the jokes are silly and corny, but they have ALWAYS been! That is part of it's charm and the fun.
The "first time" on a ride is always the best, so put yourself in a first time mode and enjoy it.
goooof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #49
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

It depends on your skipper, it depends on which jokes he tells, and it depends on your attitude.

Last trip it was kind of backed up getting back into the dock so our skipper started doing what would be called "crowd work" if you were at a comedy club. He made asked about my DD's zombie Barbie and when she told him it was a Monster High, he said something about getting a Monster High later on tonight, and every single younger adult and teen on the boat got a bad case of the giggles. best skipper we've had in awhile!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
disneydeb64
Got My Ears, Thank You : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney
It depends on your skipper, it depends on which jokes he tells, and it depends on your attitude.

Last trip it was kind of backed up getting back into the dock so our skipper started doing what would be called "crowd work" if you were at a comedy club. He made asked about my DD's zombie Barbie and when she told him it was a Monster High, he said something about getting a Monster High later on tonight, and every single younger adult and teen on the boat got a bad case of the giggles. best skipper we've had in awhile!
I'm far from being a prude, but if any CM made cracks about getting high within earshot of my child, I would be none too happy.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #51
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydeb64 View Post

I'm far from being a prude, but if any CM made cracks about getting high within earshot of my child, I would be none too happy.
Maybe this one is up to the individual mind. What might be offensive to one could've been meant as an innocent joke. Why did the kids giggle? The innocent ones giggled because they pictured him buying himself a doll later on. The others probably have grown up too fast and know more than they should and they interpreted it as such.

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #52
disneydeb64
Got My Ears, Thank You : )

Either way, not acceptable. IMO.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #53
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Either way, not acceptable. IMO.
I actually would consider myself prude-ish, and it was fine with me. It wasn't said on the mic, and it went over the head of those whose heads it should have gone over. Maybe I've been in So Cal too long!

IMO, it is no worse than at the end of Toy Story 2, Buzz's erection-style wing pop when he meets Jessie, or in the Incredibles (my favorite line of the movie, BTW) when Syndrome says "Elastagirl? You married Elastagirl....and got BUSY!" Except that instead of being a comment made by one CM to a few dozen people those are seen by millions of children every year.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #54
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In this case, though, you are most certainly being a prude.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #55
ahsquared
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Where I live smoking pot is legal soooo it's something my kids will hear about directly from me and plenty others I'm sure. I definitely wouldn't be offended by a silly joke that would go over their head. It's not like he urged them to go get a monster high.
I think this is an example of the American "don't say anything that might offend someone" mentality. It just results in things like jungle cruise scripts. They are so worried someone will get offended and throw a fit they dull the ride for everyone. Just because someone's offended doesn't mean they have the right to dictate others words, thoughts, or behaviors.
ahsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #56
Dot2Vegas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney

I actually would consider myself prude-ish, and it was fine with me. It wasn't said on the mic, and it went over the head of those whose heads it should have gone over. Maybe I've been in So Cal too long!
Same here. I'm not really prudish, but I am pretty strict with what my kids are exposed to. This joke would not have bothered me. I would have chuckled and my kids (ages 7 & 10) would not have understood anyways.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #57
old lady
DIS Veteran

I like the old Jungle Cruise because it was exciting to be attacked by hippos and dangerous to see old Smiley who is always lookig for a hand out. I didn't go on the ride the last time since the line was too big.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #58
whoever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsquared View Post
Where I live smoking pot is legal soooo it's something my kids will hear about directly from me and plenty others I'm sure. I definitely wouldn't be offended by a silly joke that would go over their head. It's not like he urged them to go get a monster high.
I think this is an example of the American "don't say anything that might offend someone" mentality. .
I don't expect to hear that kind of insinuations from any establishment which caters to children... EVER.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #59
monkeymers
Mouseketeer

Is it just me, or is this thread getting off track a bit?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #60
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post

That's funny. I've got 3 daughters and I wouldn't have been offended had we been on that boat.

As to the ride itself, I honestly can't recall it not being cheesy.

It's a once and done ride per trip. I do want to ride it in the dark this trip, I've never done it at night. Which is bizarre considering how many times I've been to MK. Perhaps it's because at night we always wind up in Tomorrowland for some reason?

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: