Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #91
jedijuhl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post

Some of the posters are from the UK and Canada so it's easier for them to exchange their currency to US Dollars than to charge to their credit cards and pay a conversion fee. I don't even know if their debit cards would work here and most credit cards charge a couple percent in addition to the exchange rate.
Speaking from a Canadians view.... All of my bank/debit cards as well as Visa and MasterCard works no problems in the USA. Tested in Wash state, Oregon, Cali, Arizona, Texas, Florida so far I do however make it point to contact my bank and the credit card company to alert them and add a note on my account that I will be using the card in such and such state or region for a specific timeframe. That way they won't immediately think its fraud and stop any transactions. If there is an issue with the card or if it ever were to be stolen I would just call the toll free # for it and get it resolved ASAP.

As for the conversion, there is going to be a conversion rate either way. Either when you convert the cash or convert through a card. For the most part I have found them to be fairly close. The one thing to be aware of is if your bank or credit card company charges a "Foreign Transaction Fee". Thats what can really add additional coats. Google search will come up with cards that do not.

Unfortunately I can not speak for our UK DIS Fans.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

jedijuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #92
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The article says the items were in the safe. It does not say the safe was locked. Nor does it say how she gained access to the safe if it was locked. It also says she worked at the All Stars. While some resorts now have safes with electronic locks, the values still have safes with keys. Those safes could probably be pried open or picked.

If there is a master key or a master code, I find it difficult to believe it is given to the housekeepers. If it is, that's really bad practice.
IIRC with the room safes which are operated by key, you cannot remove the key without turning it to the locked position so I am guessing that if it was locked the key may have been left in it, or the key turned to the locked position and then removed meaning the safe door could not close.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #93
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijuhl View Post
Speaking from a Canadians view.... All of my bank/debit cards as well as Visa and MasterCard works no problems in the USA. Tested in Wash state, Oregon, Cali, Arizona, Texas, Florida so far I do however make it point to contact my bank and the credit card company to alert them and add a note on my account that I will be using the card in such and such state or region for a specific timeframe. That way they won't immediately think its fraud and stop any transactions. If there is an issue with the card or if it ever were to be stolen I would just call the toll free # for it and get it resolved ASAP.

As for the conversion, there is going to be a conversion rate either way. Either when you convert the cash or convert through a card. For the most part I have found them to be fairly close. The one thing to be aware of is if your bank or credit card company charges a "Foreign Transaction Fee". Thats what can really add additional coats. Google search will come up with cards that do not.

Unfortunately I can not speak for our UK DIS Fans.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks for the Canadian perspective . We travel internationally and there is always an exchange rate, but most US credit cards charge an additional fee (the Foreign Transaction Fee you mentioned) on top of the exchange rate. We found an AMEX card that does not and we used it last year when we went to France & Germany. IIRC our credit union did not charge an additional fee either so we simply use the ATM and withdrew Euros from our checking account.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #94
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
IIRC with the room safes which are operated by key, you cannot remove the key without turning it to the locked position so I am guessing that if it was locked the key may have been left in it, or the key turned to the locked position and then removed meaning the safe door could not close.
The article I read said that the safe was locked. I can only assume that they were also locked in the rooms that she stole things in. I can't see someone safeguarding something in a safe and leaving it open.

On the note of her being suspended and not fired and people not wanting to go back. I can see both ways. I have no problem going back as I stay at a deluxe and the safe is harder to get into and I don't bring cash. I do bring electronics but if they are going to steal it is more likely cash they want and not something they have to fence. Those that stay at the Values may have had their beliefs shaken a bit. Everyone likes to feel they are safe but to know you stayed or are staying at a hotel that was hit several times and knowing they are not firing the person and then knowing that the exact safes are still in the rooms might lend to some to get a little nervous.

The mousekeepers must be union because seriously if any one else had been caught as she was they would have been fired on the spot. I have seen it numerous times. There is no wait and see its See Ya Baby. I made a mistake one time that cost the store I was working at money and I was fired immediately. There was no wait and see the outcome of an investigation. I made a mistake that could have been proven, she was caught red-handed.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #95
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex

The article I read said that the safe was locked. I can only assume that they were also locked in the rooms that she stole things in. I can't see someone safeguarding something in a safe and leaving it open.

On the note of her being suspended and not fired and people not wanting to go back. I can see both ways. I have no problem going back as I stay at a deluxe and the safe is harder to get into and I don't bring cash. I do bring electronics but if they are going to steal it is more likely cash they want and not something they have to fence. Those that stay at the Values may have had their beliefs shaken a bit. Everyone likes to feel they are safe but to know you stayed or are staying at a hotel that was hit several times and knowing they are not firing the person and then knowing that the exact safes are still in the rooms might lend to some to get a little nervous.

The mousekeepers must be union because seriously if any one else had been caught as she was they would have been fired on the spot. I have seen it numerous times. There is no wait and see its See Ya Baby. I made a mistake one time that cost the store I was working at money and I was fired immediately. There was no wait and see the outcome of an investigation. I made a mistake that could have been proven, she was caught red-handed.
She doesn't have to be union. We had someone at my old workplace buying phones on our dime and sending them to her b/f in prison. She was fired and threatened discrimination lawsuit and came BACK to work. Then they had to write her up....insane!
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #96
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

I am not defending or accusing anyone, but whatever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" ?

Regarding the electronic safes: They can be locked either by a password, or by any card with a magnetic stripe. However, it is recommended NOT to use a room key, because if a key is lost/reprinted, the replacement card will have a different ID # encoded onto the magnetic stripe, and it will not work to open the safe. There are safe reprogramming devices, but those are only used by the housekeeping manager, and are stored in a secure location.

Regarding non-electric safes: A key could have been removed/copied. Even if it says "Do not duplicate" on the key. I've seen self-serve key copying machines at big box home improvement stores.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #97
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
I am not defending or accusing anyone, but whatever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" ?

Regarding the electronic safes: They can be locked either by a password, or by any card with a magnetic stripe. However, it is recommended NOT to use a room key, because if a key is lost/reprinted, the replacement card will have a different ID # encoded onto the magnetic stripe, and it will not work to open the safe. There are safe reprogramming devices, but those are only used by the housekeeping manager, and are stored in a secure location.

Regarding non-electric safes: A key could have been removed/copied. Even if it says "Do not duplicate" on the key. I've seen self-serve key copying machines at big box home improvement stores.
It would be hard for her to plead innocent when she was seen doing it. If there was any question I would be the first to say give her the benefit of a doubt. Also not trying to start a debate I just don't understand it.

I am ROFLing at your signature!! Too funny!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: