Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #346
allbluezoo
Mouseketeer

I've lost my mind - husband arrives to San Antonio from San Diego 1:15am 12/21. We board the Wonder starting at 11:00am on.......12/21. Sounds like I'll be driving to Galveston while he sleeps! I reserved a spot at the terminal parking as we are surprising our kids and thought it would be easiest?
allbluezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #347
ShelleyLynn
Mouseketeer

Port Arrival Questions/Tips on Holiday Inn

We are flying into Hobby the day before our cruise. I have made arrangements with a town car service to take us to Galveston. We won't arrive at the hotel until about 10pm. I am going to check rates at the Holiday Inn on the beach since several people have recommended it. My main question is we have a port arrival time at noon, can anyone tell me if we can arrival earlier? My daughters will be climbing the walls to get on the boat and I would like to try and show up at 11. I don't want to do that if we will just have to stand outside and not be admitted inside. Any experience from previous travelers? TIA
ShelleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #348
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyLynn View Post
We are flying into Hobby the day before our cruise. I have made arrangements with a town car service to take us to Galveston. We won't arrive at the hotel until about 10pm. I am going to check rates at the Holiday Inn on the beach since several people have recommended it. My main question is we have a port arrival time at noon, can anyone tell me if we can arrival earlier? My daughters will be climbing the walls to get on the boat and I would like to try and show up at 11. I don't want to do that if we will just have to stand outside and not be admitted inside. Any experience from previous travelers? TIA
They don't enforce PAT in Galveston so you can get there early. You may have a higher boarding group number but boarding goes fast and typically starts at 11:45 am. The only thing to be aware of is that there isn't anything to do at the terminal except one photo set up that has the characters rotating through it. Lots of people show up early, so seating is pretty packed. HTHs!!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #349
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

Anyone try this code recently?
Cruise parking: Discount Cruise Parking http://www.discountcruiseparking.net/ -- They have indoor seating if the weather is bad, restrooms, a convenience store, a deli. Use promo code "8115" for an additional $5 off your parking.

I just tried the code for the 11/23 (Thanksgiving) cruise and the website returned "MSG23: Promo code not valid with this ship"
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #350
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Any Galveston questions, just ask!
About car rentals: We have booked a car for the week out of Houston Hobby (NOT through Enterprise) because when I called Enterprise, they said they don't allow one way rentals anymore. Just wondered if you've heard anything recently on Enterprise? Or if there is a new car rental place? I'm sure others are frustrated that it's so hard to get transport from HOU to Galveston. I watched until I got a decent rate for the 8 night car rental, but I know I'm not the only one to go through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo Girl View Post
We are cruising out of Galveston at the end of Sept. We are coming in around 5 p.m. Friday to Hobby and are trying to find the best way to get to the Holiday Inn Galveston on the Beach. The hotel has a shuttle to the port on Saturday morning, so we need transportation from Hobby to the hotel and then from the port to Hobby at the end of the cruise. Any suggestions?
Also, any suggestions for restaurants for Friday evening?
I called limos.com, looked at taxi services, looked at Super Shuttle, and out of everything I looked at? My cheapest price came from renting a car out of Houston Hobby for the 8 night rental and leaving it at our hotel (or actually their sister hotel, for free) Lots of advice on the transportation thread on codes and such for rental cars. Hope this helps!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #351
pharmd08
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Updated with a new code for EZ Cruise Parking! And we're working on a Lighthouse Parking shuttle right now where I work -- I'm hoping I can ask them for a code for us all too. :-)
We have used Lighthouse Many times for parking and always had a wonderful experience!
pharmd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #352
krosmith
Mouseketeer

I have read about parking and am getting confused with all the options. We need handicapped parking, and the closest parking to the ship. Does anyone know what that would be, and should I look at pre booking the parking for our Dec. 14-21 trip?

TIA
krosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #353
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmith View Post
I have read about parking and am getting confused with all the options. We need handicapped parking, and the closest parking to the ship. Does anyone know what that would be, and should I look at pre booking the parking for our Dec. 14-21 trip?

TIA
None of the parking is really close to the Galveston port. Most is a block or two. Almost all have shuttles. You can, however, drop passengers off directly at the terminal then park and come back to join your party.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #354
ShelleyLynn
Mouseketeer

Hobby Transfer for Oct. 5th cruise

I am getting frustrated! My family of 4 flies in Friday, Oct 4th at 8:30pm. We are booked at Hotel Galvez for cruise on the 5th. I cannot find a decent rate on transfers! The best deal I found was with Houston 24 hour airport taxi and town car but all the reviews I find are awful! I looked at renting a car, either one way or for the 8 nights since I could park for free at Hotel Galvez but no good deals that route either. I am seriously bummed and in need of some pixie dust . Please, any help would be appreciated. I know we can always book super shuttle but they don't get good reviews also and when you travel with two kids you don't want to mess around with poor service.
ShelleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #355
mydisneydream
Earning My Ears

BUMP

The Disney Wonder Sep 28-Oct 5, 2013 (Parents Only Cruise!)
The Disney Fantasy March 16-23, 2013
Port Orleans Riverside March 15, 2013
The Disney Dream (1st cruise) Oct 20-23, 2011
Port Orleans Riverside Oct 19, 2011
WDW/Port Orleans Riverside June 19-24, 2007
mydisneydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #356
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher

None of the parking is really close to the Galveston port. Most is a block or two. Almost all have shuttles. You can, however, drop passengers off directly at the terminal then park and come back to join your party.
This is what I am planning to do
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #357
Southtxmom
Earning My Ears

See you on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbluezoo View Post
I've lost my mind - husband arrives to San Antonio from San Diego 1:15am 12/21. We board the Wonder starting at 11:00am on.......12/21. Sounds like I'll be driving to Galveston while he sleeps! I reserved a spot at the terminal parking as we are surprising our kids and thought it would be easiest?
We will be driving too!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #358
MemphisMickey
Mouseketeer

Bump
Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #359
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyLynn View Post
I am getting frustrated! My family of 4 flies in Friday, Oct 4th at 8:30pm. We are booked at Hotel Galvez for cruise on the 5th. I cannot find a decent rate on transfers! The best deal I found was with Houston 24 hour airport taxi and town car but all the reviews I find are awful! I looked at renting a car, either one way or for the 8 nights since I could park for free at Hotel Galvez but no good deals that route either. I am seriously bummed and in need of some pixie dust . Please, any help would be appreciated. I know we can always book super shuttle but they don't get good reviews also and when you travel with two kids you don't want to mess around with poor service.

This might not be a suggestion that would make everyone comfortable, but perhaps check your cruise message board and get several families to go in together on a big SUV or 15 passenger van. Renting one of those, and splitting the cost, might be more economical than doing SuperShuttle etc.

\
I've eaten at 159 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
dcassetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #360
MemphisMickey
Mouseketeer

I see many people are booking their parking ahead. Is this really an issue with finding parking? I just planned to use port parking. Will there be an issue with getting a spot for November cruise?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: