Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I never understand the laughing at others because they aren't as informed as the DISers
I agree. I feel bad for them.

I can't even imagine what it must be like to plan a Disney vacation now. We started going in 1985, when there was only MK, EPCOT and Disney Village. Everyone stayed offsite, there was only Poly, CR, Disney Inn and FW. So we have been able to add each new park, hotel, etc. as they happened so it's never been overwhelming. To think that folks are planning their first trip now is incomprehensible, how do you figure it all out if you haven't seen it.

I'm helping a friend at work and I've been mindful to tell her that you have to take HIGHWAYS between theme parks, that it's similar to visiting New York and every theme park is a different borough, etc. I'm shocked that folks feel okay with a 4 day vacation because that's all they need when they haven't seen it yet.

I also feel bad for folks who come on here for their first trip and think they have to do every little "secret" that long timers have figured out. Honestly, that has ruined a lot of those little things like the scuba diver at Coral Reef, etc. I wish every newbie understood they need to read and research, not just jump on here and ask random questions that cause more questions, more threads, more "will I like...".

Yes, I guess I sound holier than thou, that's not my point. I love answering questions from people who know what they're asking. I hate seeing questions from people who have no idea, I won't touch those threads other than to tell them to go away and research. Folks like Robo, and Cheshire Figment, etc. have so much more patience than I and are truly DISboard saints!

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of dropping a few thousand dollars (park tickets, resort, flights) on a multi-day trip and not need a plan.
Funny I'm not talking about not needing a plan, I'm talking about those who aren't as all knowing as the DISers about how to plan.
People get overwhelmed, mis-informed or just confused with all the info that is out there. I don't see that as a reason to hysterically laugh at them because they don't know something that you think they should. YMMV
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not everyone realizes the planning that is involved in a WDW vacation, remember you were all once newbies in that dept. How did you know you had to plan? The only reason I did was because I have a family member who frequents WDW and warned me. If I didn't I wouldn't have a clue. Not everyone knows to search the internet for WDW gurus.
I'm taking my first trip this year and was going to wing it until I talked to my brother who set me straight. I knew it was multiple parks but thought each was just a better version of other amusement parks I've been to and I'd just go with the flow. I didn't realize it was 50 square miles, didn't know about MDE, transportation, DDP, APR's, importance of rope drops, etc, etc.

WDW is massive and complex and the options are infinite but I don't see why that means people can't laugh at funny things people say or do.

Last edited by Viva Las Disney; 08-23-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
People get overwhelmed, mis-informed or just confused with all the info that is out there. I don't see that as a reason to hysterically laugh at them because they don't know something that you think they should. YMMV
I haven't seen any evidence of hysterical laughter here. Amusement, certainly. I see nothing wrong in finding amusement in some of the situations that have been described here. Obviously a sense of humour is as variable and different amongst Disers as it is in the general population.

I remember a post from several years ago (and I doff my bonnet to the original poster, whose name now escapes me). He described being outside the general store, near the bus stop at POR. He sees a middle aged man suddenly run to the door of the store, yank open the door, and yell inside "Martha, come quick, you gotta hear this!" Intrigued, the poster unashamedly continues to eavesdrop. The man's wife, accompanied by several teenagers comes out of the door. "Martha, you ain't gonna believe this! This is only the hotel! This place is so big you gotta take a bus to get to the park. And the bus driver fella just told me they got 3 more parks too!!"

Now if that's not a lack of planning and research, I don't know what is.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying this thread. I have subscribe to a couple of others, but they haven't been active lately. But if you all want a few more laughs, check them out!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2036006

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3054672

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989890
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

You know, I just knew that someone out there would have a problem with my post.

It's not about how much money people have or don't have. I don't think too many folks would really believe that the monorail travels off Disney property to the Super 8, Walmart or IHOP. If you do, then I really have no words for that.

For goodness sake!!!! Lighten up! It was funny!!

I help folks all day long who clearly are on their first trip here. I would take all the time in the world (and have) to give folks directions and any help they ask for.

I don't think I am all knowing by any stretch of the imagination. But hearing that Security Guard say, "No mam, there's no monorail to the Super 8 motel" was hilarious.
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

I totally agree. It is funny and I really like this thread. People need to stop getting their panties in a bunch. I've made mistakes and am able to laugh at myself. There is no reason to get all upset, everybody makes mistakes and sometimes it's funny. I'm still learning and if people find humor in it then so be it.
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I never understand the laughing at others because they aren't as informed as the DISers

Not everyone realizes the planning that is involved in a WDW vacation, remember you were all once newbies in that dept. How did you know you had to plan? The only reason I did was because I have a family member who frequents WDW and warned me. If I didn't I wouldn't have a clue. Not everyone knows to search the internet for WDW gurus.
FTR, I don't plan and I try to inform myself but I'm sure I don't have 1/4 of the knowledge some of you have. I'm so glad that if you over hear me asking a "stupid" question it will force you into hysterics.
I started going to WDW back in '99. I knew nothing about it...not one thing. My mother had been once before but that was long before this trip. It was 'supposed' to be that once in a lifetime trip...dd was going to turn 6 there, my mother had just gotten a clean bill of health after breast cancer surgery. So, knowing that I knew nothing, I went to our town travel agent. She got us booked in the resort we were interested in. I told her that I really wanted to eat in CRT for my dd's 6th birthday. I did know that I had to book that 60 days out...at that time. Well, the ta called me in late Sept, and told me that she hadn't been able to book CRT..she had called that afternoon but nothing was available!!! Yeah, no kidding.
So, when we decided to go again, I bought a guidebook..actually two of them. I learned as much as I could. And obviously, that wasn't the 'trip of a lifetime' since my trips now number close to 40!!!

In all reality? People spend a ton of money on trips to WDW. You would think that they would buy a guidebook and figure out what the plan should be. I never laugh at someone's not knowing, or thinking they know, when they obviously don't But I do feel really badly for them. It's so sad to see so many guests wandering around, with no idea what they are doing or what they are missing. I have actually stuck my nose in on some conversations in order to set someone on the right path!!!

Disney World is no place for spontanaity...it just isn't. You have to have some idea of what you're doing. Otherwise, you miss things and you spend too much time trying to figure out what to do next or get stuck eating at only counter service places. It's those guests that come back and tell us how awful their WDW vacation was!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

The thing is now a days how can you invest money or time into anything before researching it? Like I said before, if its anything new to me that I will research and study up on before going wether it's the outlets 2 hours from here or starting the tech school 20 min from here..

Sometimes ppl just genuinely don't know, some of it is common sense & some if it plain just didn't bother to take the time to research it.

The ppl who just don't bother than show their behind when they don't understand something or b/c it's not how they thought it was.. Yes those ppl I laugh at..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #25
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:

FTR, I don't plan and I try to inform myself but I'm sure I don't have 1/4 of the knowledge some of you have. I'm so glad that if you over hear me asking a "stupid" question it will force you into hysterics.
People can take an hour or two before their trip and look on the Internet. If they have no computer they can go to the library.

I look online when we go on vacation so I can see what is there before I go. We may not do the things but at least I know stuff is available.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of hysterical laughter here. Amusement, certainly. I see nothing wrong in finding amusement in some of the situations that have been described here. Obviously a sense of humour is as variable and different amongst Disers as it is in the general population.
In my world, where I have a very twisted sense of humor, laughing so hard that you think you need Depends (yes I know the OP meant that figuratively ) is hysterical laughter. Maybe its not in your world. Having said that, I don't find other's lack of knowledge on Disney something to laugh that hard about. If you do, that is okay, I'm just sharing that in a thread about laughing at people who aren't "in the know". I also wouldn't assume that because someone thought the monorail went to Motel 6 that they didn't plan. Maybe they were just confused about that part of Disney transportation. Maybe someone gave them bad info. Again, you are free to pee your pants when you hear someone ask about that, I'm free to think its not funny
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
luvmy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailsilver View Post
People can take an hour or two before their trip and look on the Internet. If they have no computer they can go to the library.

I look online when we go on vacation so I can see what is there before I go. We may not do the things but at least I know stuff is available.
Fair enough, but have you ever been wrong about something? There is a ton of info about WDW out there, and it is overwhelming. It is possible for people to miss things, or get wrong info etc. It is also possible that some people just don't know to research and plan 6 mnths ahead of time for their trip.
You are all free to roll around laughing at those people, but it still doesn't mean I understand why you would.
So I leave this thread and leave you all to your fun.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I started to research my vacation by buying a book. It was then I realized I was in over my head, and started researching even more on the internet. I see a vacation that I am spending thousands on no different than buying a car, a camper, a fridge, etc. I would never walk into those purchases either without doing a little research upfront. Did I know every little fact or trivia about each park before our first trip? No (and I still don't). I did know the ins and out of the dining plan, tickets, fp, understood rd, and how transportation works.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
luvmy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelane1 View Post
I totally agree. It is funny and I really like this thread. People need to stop getting their panties in a bunch. I've made mistakes and am able to laugh at myself. There is no reason to get all upset, everybody makes mistakes and sometimes it's funny. I'm still learning and if people find humor in it then so be it.
Um, nobody is upset, all I did was say I don't understand why one would think being misinformed is so funny. Seems that is what got people's panties in a wad
Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

What I find funny is who when using common sense would think that the MOTEL SiX would have a monorail going to it? Even if you have never been to WDW in what city does Motel 6 or super 8 or holiday inn have a monorail or subway or anything like that? Besides how did she get to the park from Motel 6, she knew it wasn't on a monorail! Common sense.. Yeah I've said or thought or done something where I didn't think it out and I laughed about it as did others around me..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: