Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man's Wife View Post
T-Man wouldn't hurt a fly...
But he might crush a pkondz with his fist... :

Quote:
Do we have to have a "Birds & bee's" talk?
Yes. Please.
I'll wait here until you post it.

Quote:
Famous last words...
"What does this button do?"*

*As said by the passenger visiting the cockpit of the Hindenburg.

Quote:
I don't know how they do it in Canada, but here...unless you show your driver's license to everyone you meet, you can be 16 as many times as you want.

Quote:
I've turned 21 for the 13th time last month.
Happy Bir... oh forget it. I'll getcha next time it comes around.

Quote:
If it looked anything like this......then it was probably a mixture of both.
Yup. That's pretty much it.

Quote:
I think you and T-Man really need to get together someday...You can run each other ragged, while me and Ruby just stroll along behind, actually ENJOYING ourselves, instead of whizzing past everything and then coming back and getting the *look* when you don't remember certain things.
Works for me.

Quote:
So much for preparation...Again, Ruby is just like me. T-Man starts talking about travel ideas and I've gotten to the point where i just say, "OK"...
Yup. Otherwise we pout.

Quote:
Sounds good to me...I'm living vicariously through you this trip, since i will never have the chance to go out there and see any of it...
Never say never.

Quote:
Awww...taking the wife's ideas into account...Nice one!
Just wait...

Quote:
I'll come along. Do I need to sneak into luggage? Hide in a cage and act like a dog? Whatever...
Not the luggage! Those things were heavy enough as it was!

You'll see.

Quote:
K...................I'm waiting...
One moment please.
Please stand by.
Your post is important and will be mocked in the order in which it was received.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu

Last edited by pkondz; 08-22-2013 at 07:25 PM.
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Okay, I'm switching fonts here for the rest of the TR. Just helps to keep things a bit more orgeenized. Hopefully no one has a prob with bold and blue...

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu

Last edited by pkondz; 08-22-2013 at 07:27 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
The last time we were in Disney. I wanted to make sure that the kidlets got to experience as much as possible.

That means rope drop.
That means commando style.
That means go, go, go.

That means that I broke Ruby.

Ponzi, my man, I have just the answer for you for the 2015 trip.
Fastpass+. Schedule your fastpasses from the comfort of your home in advance, stroll into Space Mountain or Toy Story Mania at your leisure, no criss crossing the park and running for passes. Should make for a much easier trip for Ruby. You can also reserve spots for parades and fireworks

PS: change your mind and would rather swim? Just change your time. Or change the attraction, or change your dining reservation. All from your phone or a kiosk in the park
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #34
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Hopefully no one has a prob with bold and blue...
Bold and blue? BOLD AND BLUE?? What are ya- some kind of rabid Leafs fan???

Just saw that you live in the 'Peg. Nevermind. Please continue.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post

Fastpass+. Schedule your fastpasses from the comfort of your home in advance, stroll into Space Mountain or Toy Story Mania at your leisure, no criss crossing the park and running for passes. Should make for a much easier trip for Ruby. You can also reserve spots for parades and fireworks

PS: change your mind and would rather swim? Just change your time. Or change the attraction, or change your dining reservation. All from your phone or a kiosk in the park
That all sounds good... but would it surprise you to hear that I'd be perfectly happy going to Disney.... and not go on a. single. ride????

You're talking about the bracelets, yes? Or is that only part of it. And is the + going already?

And yeah... I'd use it. Who am I trying to kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Bold and blue? BOLD AND BLUE?? What are ya- some kind of rabid Leafs fan???

Just saw that you live in the 'Peg. Nevermind. Please continue.
Was wondering if anyone'd make the connection.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Great day in the morning! This TR is hopping with just your teaser intro so far. I'm not surprised one bit. And it figures.....I played it straight and didn't check the boards today and look where that got me?

I love the TR title!

Venice? I think I may have mentioned Venice is one of the places DH and I did not visit on our sweep of Italy back in 2004. I love Italy, so trust me I will be living vicariously through your TR. Who am I kidding? All of Europe is great and exciting. I'm a history person, I enjoy other cultures and experiences and I can not wait for it to begin.

Well, I can wait and patiently too, I'm in for the long haul, but it sounds better to say I can't wait as it denotes my enthusiasm for your TR. It's kinda along the same principle of when someone calls you and asks "Are you busy?" and you say "No" despite the fact that you almost literally have multiple fires burning on your desk.

I would say you have quite the captive audience!
buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #37
bellebud
DIS Veteran

I'm in... and I may just steal your idea! DD13 has been asking to go to Italy for years... what a great sweet 16 trip!

And just to ask - wouldn't a trip to Italy cost almost as much as a used, first car for a 16yo??

Can't wait to read details! I'd like to put in some requests if you don't mind... airline, how you decided where in Italy to go, hotels, etc. All the little details will help me plan our trip
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
That all sounds good... but would it surprise you to hear that I'd be perfectly happy going to Disney.... and not go on a. single. ride????

You're talking about the bracelets, yes? Or is that only part of it. And is the + going already?

And yeah... I'd use it. Who am I trying to kid!

Was wondering if anyone'd make the connection.
Yes, the bracelets, which I am sure your female family members would be more than happy to personalize with Bandits (like Croc thingies) or overlays, conveniently available at the Resort stores.

The system is currently in Beta testing and should be available to every one for the 2015 trip where you will meet all your favorite Disers

Start selling Ruby on it now...
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #39
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
Great day in the morning! This TR is hopping with just your teaser intro so far. I'm not surprised one bit. And it figures.....I played it straight and didn't check the boards today and look where that got me?
Well look who's here! Hi DeeDee!
I did say I was going to start it soon, ya know.

Quote:
I love the TR title!
Thanks! I had it as my ticker title for... oh... about a year.

Quote:
Venice? I think I may have mentioned Venice is one of the places DH and I did not visit on our sweep of Italy back in 2004. I love Italy, so trust me I will be living vicariously through your TR. Who am I kidding? All of Europe is great and exciting. I'm a history person, I enjoy other cultures and experiences and I can not wait for it to begin.
Funny you should mention history. I tried to add little tidbits of info here and there about the things we were seeing. I usually got blank looks that translated as, "Dad, we're not in school ya know."

Ah well...

Every now and then, though, I'd hit 'em with a fact that'd surprise them. (Did you know that the Eiffel Tower was meant to be a temporary exhibit only? "What? Really? Why?".... score one for me.)

Quote:
Well, I can wait and patiently too, I'm in for the long haul, but it sounds better to say I can't wait as it denotes my enthusiasm for your TR. It's kinda along the same principle of when someone calls you and asks "Are you busy?" and you say "No" despite the fact that you almost literally have multiple fires burning on your desk.
Thanks Buzz.

Quote:
I would say you have quite the captive audience!
Oh, come on. I lengthen the chains to their shackles every Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
I'm in... and I may just steal your idea! DD13 has been asking to go to Italy for years... what a great sweet 16 trip!

And just to ask - wouldn't a trip to Italy cost almost as much as a used, first car for a 16yo??
First off... Welcome to the TR! Do I call you Belle or Bud? Or Budding Belle?

And I see that I've already planted false seeds here.
Let me clear something up.

When DD15 said she wanted to got to WDW for her 16th, it caused some consternation to occur amongst the parental units.
Because standing beside her was DD11...

If you give one kid a trip to Disneyworld, ya gotta do the same for the other, right?

Okay, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

As the numbers were crunched and the teeth were gnashed, we soon decided that a trip to Europe would be the way to go... but not as a birthday gift.... but as a family vacation.

So we talked it over with DD15. It went something like this:
"So you said you wanted to go to Disney for your 16th, right?"
"Right."
"Here's the deal. We have a chance to go to Europe... but it wouldn't be for your birthday... and we can't do both."
"Would you do something else for my birthday?"
"Yes."
"I'd rather see Europe, 'cause when will I get another chance to go?"

And there ya have it.

What we did do for her birthday was twofold
1. We sent her on a solo trip to Toronto to spend a few days just her and her aunt.
2. We threw a huge surprise party for her involving 30 friends, renting out an entire roller rink, and a rather largish stretch SUV limo.

All the above costing considerably less than a good used car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
Can't wait to read details! I'd like to put in some requests if you don't mind... airline, how you decided where in Italy to go, hotels, etc. All the little details will help me plan our trip
How did we decide on Venice? Looks like I'm gonna need a mini chapter here... so hang on a bit and I'll get to that.

Quote:
Yes, the bracelets, which I am sure your female family members would be more than happy to personalize with Bandits (like Croc thingies) or overlays, conveniently available at the Resort stores.

The system is currently in Beta testing and should be available to every one for the 2015 trip where you will meet all your favorite Disers

Start selling Ruby on it now...
Thanks Marita. I'll start working on her... tonite!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:

This is all good in theory and early reports show promise. Yes, it's still in the testing phases. Early test results are positive, but that's only because only certain resorts are part of the testing phase. Its working great now for the test people, because they only make up about 10-15% of any park's attendance at any given time. What about when this goes into full effect for everyone and the numbers jump? Not just for the certain resorts now, but for all the Disney resorts and for all the offsite people.

And what about people like our friends Smidgy and Nebo who don't have a smartphone or like to use their phone while on vacation? I know there will be the kiosks, but will these kiosks be available at various spots throughout the park? One thing Lady H and I like to do while on vacation is to put our phones away and enjoy the sites. Sure we'll check them every now and then, but only on occasion. It's going to be the norm now to have everyone's faces buried in their iPads, Tablets and smartphones.

The main thing I'm not liking about this is you're limited to a certain amount of FP's and they're limited to a certain park. There's no park hopping ability with this yet. It would be nice if I could book TSM over at DHS in the morning, then hop on over to Epcot and book TT at night. And now you'll only be limited to 3 and will be categorized. Can you imagine that you'll be able to FP Stitch now. Last trip to WDW, Nebo and I were able to ride EE 3 times utilizing FP. To my understanding it won't be like that anymore with the new system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against it. One thing I like about this idea is yes, you can be sure to get a TSM FP. Or schedule your FP time around your ADR time so they don't interfere with each other.

Sorry Marita, but until this goes into full effect, I had to show the not so wonderful side to FP+. Hopefully Disney is taking notes on all this and address these issues.

Sorry Ponzi, didn't mean to be the Debbie Downer here. There are plenty of threads discussing this at the moment. We'll leave this discussion to those threads.

Now on with the show.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Thanks Marita. I'll start working on her... tonite!
TMI

What you do at your house, should stay at your house.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #42
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
But he might crush a pkondz with his fist... :
Well I gotta get into those nuts somehow. But she's right, I wouldn't hurt a fly. This coming from the lady who has me killing bugs and spiders all the time.

"Lady H, have you seen the fly swatter lately?"

Quote:
Yes. Please.
I'll wait here until you post it.
Wait, I need to give her a lesson first.

Quote:
Works for me.
Ponzi may get the look. I on the other hand, won't. I'll be lucky to be let in the door.

Quote:
Never say never.
That's what I told her. She just laughed at me.

Quote:
Just wait...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
What about when this goes into full effect for everyone and the numbers jump? Not just for the certain resorts now, but for all the Disney resorts and for all the offsite people.
I'll field that one. It's the same reason why UG touring plans work. Because only a small percentage of visitors are willing to do the research. I think it'll be the same with FP+. There'll be a small percentage of people who'll have FPd TSMM and walk on and there'll be the same line up of people stating, "You have to pay extra and/or stay at an expensive Disney hotel to skip the line."

Quote:
And what about people like our friends Smidgy and Nebo who don't have a smartphone or like to use their phone while on vacation?
Or us? We don't have smart phones either. I'm more then happy to book a few FP rides a few months in advance. If that means I can avoid the "running of the bulls" for TSMM I'm all for it.

Then again, I usually stick to plans once made. So it's unlikely that I'd be changing plans ala smart phone anyway.

Quote:
Can you imagine that you'll be able to FP Stitch now.
I actually can see people coming out of Stitch saying, "I can't believe we wasted a FP on that!!!"

Quote:
Last trip to WDW, Nebo and I were able to ride EE 3 times utilizing FP. To my understanding it won't be like that anymore with the new system.
True.

Quote:
Sorry Ponzi, didn't mean to be the Debbie Downer here. There are plenty of threads discussing this at the moment. We'll leave this discussion to those threads.
And for those who're wondering, here's a pic of Thumper_Man:

Quote:
TMI

What you do at your house, should stay at your house.
Full disclosure on this TR.

Quote:
Well I gotta get into those nuts somehow.
TMI

Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

No really. How did this happen?

So "This_Bud's_for_Belle" asked how we picked Venice, the airline, hotels, etc.

Here's the backstory.

Several eons ago, when dinosaurs still roamed the land, a very young pkondz was taken on a trip to Europe.

I was about 10 at the time.
We caught a ride with a returning Viking party.

Pleasant enough people, but dull. All they wanted to talk about was pillaging. It gets a little old after a while.

Anyway.

When I first went to Europe, we went to London for 3days, Paris for 3 days and then a couple of weeks in Germany where my Father's Sister (my Aunt) and her family lived.

So I wanted to recreate that trip. A few days in London (to see the Queen), a few days in Paris and the rest of the time in Germany where both Ruby and I had some familial history.

I began researching places to stay in Paris and Bavaria...
Why not London? I guess I just wasn't that keen on it.
No, I don't know why.
When I started researching Things To Do In London, I started to get more excited, but at first... meh.

Once I started to get more interested in London and had done a fair bit of research, Ruby mentioned that she would much rather see Italy than London.

Okay. We switch gears.

"Okay, Ruby. We can't see all of Italy... we just don't have the time. If you had to pick just one city, which would it be?"

Of course I knew that she'd say Rome, I know my wife.

"Venice." She replied without hesitation.

See? I told you she'd pick Venice.

Our plans now have us flying in to Milan (closest major airport to Venice that I could find flights to), spending the day there then taking the train (a three hour tour... a three hour tour ) to Venice. A few days in Venice then grab a train up to Munich. Spend a few days in Bavaria, up to Hanover to visit the relaticks, if there's time, over to Cologne to see the Cathedral then over to Paris where we end our trip and fly home.

Plans evolve and change and I found that if you're travelling by train in Germany, you're entitled to a free ride on a KD Rhine ship.

Hmmm.... a Free Rhine cruise, hunh? (A Free Rhine Cruise... for you purists)

After some more planning, the final trip was this
1. Fly to Milan - explore same before passing out at the end of a very, very long day.
2. Take the train to Venice. Explore for 2 - 3 days.
3. Take the overnight train to Munich (saves on hotel cost as we travel)
4. Rent car and drive to some small town somewhere in Bavaria. Explore for a few days.
5. Take the train up to Hanover. Stay 2 days and see relaticks and Hameln (original home of the Pied Piper)
6. Go to Cologne and try to fit in a Rhine cruise somewhere.
7. Train to Paris. Explore for a few days.
8. Fly home.

Okay! We're all set.

Except it didn't happen that way.

I did tons of research on flights and the cheapest option was this:
1. Use Airmiles points to get round trip airfare from Winnipeg - Toronto - return. We have enough points.
2. Book separately flights from Toronto - Milan then Paris - Toronto.

The above option was about the same price as a flight out of Minneapolis. Except of course we wouldn't have to drive down and stay in hotels. Plus that would cost us two extra days of vacation time that we just didn't have.

So now that I've got our itinerary pretty much set, I can start looking into hotels.

I'd already done some research on Paris, and had pretty much decided on where to stay.

Did I mention that Paris is slightly expensive? Where the average three-star hotel price is $350... a night?
Heck, a thousand bucks a night isn't uncommon.

One of the first places I checked was the Mandarin Oriental Paris.
I almost choked when I saw the $3000 per night estimate!

I was getting a little overwhelmed with all the research I was doing and decided to call in some reinforcements.

I asked Ruby for some help.
She was invaluable.
What she said was, "I don't care. Whatever you pick will be fine with me."

I went to see a TA that we've used in the past... before it became easier to use the internet. Yes kids, I was alive when there was no internet.

Say it again, go ahead. "No internet."
No iPods either.

We didn't have thumbs then. They evolved later when we had a use for them.

I asked the TA to look for hotels in Venice. She asked if I needed anything else:
"Flights? Rail passes? Tours?"

I assured her that everything else was taken care of. I told her about my plan to use Airmiles to save a few bucks.

"Have you looked into that new Air Canada discount airline? I think they fly into Venice."

"Huh?"

So she did what TAs do and found that if I started in Paris instead of Milan, and ended in Venice instead of Paris....

uhh.... I think I just confused myself, let alone you guys.

Basically if we flipped the trip end for end we could fly from Winnipeg with connections in Toronto for about the same price... without having to use up our airmiles.

woot!

As for the hotel... I'll be honest. She sent us an email with a hotel that she'd found that wasn't break the bank expensive and by then I was so sick and tired of researching that I just went ahead and booked it. (There are over 650 hotels in Venice that can sleep four in a room! )

We had one more change that had to be done.
If we wanted to do what we wanted to do... ummm... what?

Something had to give. Either it was not seeing the aunt and cousins (whom we never have contact with and the DDs had never met) or cutting short our time in Bavaria and cutting out the Rhine cruise.

Darn it! We're paying for this trip and we're darn well gonna do what we wanna do!

The side trip to Hanover fell by the wayside and we never looked back.

So here's the final itinerary:

1. Leave Winnipeg Friday August 2 - Arrive Paris Saturday August 3.
2. Travel to Cologne on Tuesday August 6 for 2 nights - Rhine cruise while there.
3. Travel to Munich on Thursday August 6 - pick up car and drive into Bavaria. Stay 4 nights.
4. Monday August 12. Drop car off in Munich and take the train down to Venice. Stay 3 nights.
5. Leave Venice Thursday August 15 - Arrive Winnipeg same day.

One last thing. Almost always, a Eurail pass is the best way to travel around Europe. But if you already know exactly what you want to do and can book 90 days in advance, buying individual tickets is often cheaper. By booking tickets in advance, we saved a few hundred bucks over buying passes.

Okay, so that's how the planning, etc. happened. Now whaddya say we get this trip started?

Anyone?

Last edited by pkondz; 02-26-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Giddy up!

Yay for the TA saving all your miles!

I cashed in my miles in 2007 and flew open jaw into Venice and out of Rome. Fantastic trip! I fell in love with Venice and can't wait to go back some of these days.

Jill in CO

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: