Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Packing tips: How do you fit all your stuff in your luggage?

I didn't know where to ask this question so mods please move it if not appropriate. Anyone have any good packing tips, I'm not to good at folding techniques and space saving? And I always am worse on the way home with dirty clothes all shoved in. I'm thinking maybe actual using the drawers in the room and then neatly packing dirty clothes, any other suggestions?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
soccer mom
DIS Veteran

We lay our pants and shirts in the suitcase and then shove/stuff socks, underwear, bathing suits, pjs, plastic bags with toiletries, flipflops around the edges to fill in the small spaces. Polos/tops are folded in half widthway, folding sleeves across front. A lot less wrinkles than folding in half lengthways. Also, we always unpack, using drawers and hanging up everything we can. We then set a suit case on end in a closet leaving the end unzipped and use it as a hamper. If/when it is full we just change it out with the next one. No need to fold dirty clothes. Just keep stuffing until the suitcase is full!
CSR - December 2011
POFQ - November 2010, 2009, 2008
WL - Return from Iraq Celebration! - December 2007
BWI - First Time No Kids! - January 2007
ALK - December 2005
POR - January 2005
WL - November 2003
BC/Poly - November 2002
AKL - November 2001
POFQ - December 1999
FW Cabins - December 1994, 1991
FW Campgrounds - March 1985, 1981, 1976
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
railwife
Earning My Ears

I use eagle creek packing cubes. Roll you clothes instead of folding.
railwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
railwife
Earning My Ears

Oh! I also bring drawstring laundry bags. At the end of the trip all the clothes are in there... Just lay it in your bag. Great for when you go home and need to wash them.
railwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I have started using those vacume bags....they are awesome.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
s87dew
Earning My Ears

I bought compression packing bags from Walmart for my upcoming trip. You fill the bag and roll the end so that the air escapes.
s87dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

First off I allocate one set of clothes per day +1 more. I fold the shirts or pants to a point then roll them up. I only take 2 pairs of shoes, wearing one while traveling. The other pair gets filled with sox. I can pack for 5 days in one carry on and a back pack(goes under the seat) with a little room to spare. I wear a coat on the plane or use it as a pillow or arm rest. The key is to not over pack. You then fill in the holes with sox/underwear and things that don't matter if they get squished.

If for whatever reason I might have to laundry at the destination then I'll do it.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by s87dew View Post
I bought compression packing bags from Walmart for my upcoming trip. You fill the bag and roll the end so that the air escapes.
Been using these for years...I fill and press against the side of the bed to purge the air out....

After loading suitcase you scratch your head wondering why you have so much room left... So easy to overpack ....excess weight....these don't require a vacuum....

I can easily pack for 9 nights, do no laundry in a rolling duffle bag suitcase...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I roll my clothes and pack them really tightly into ziplock bags. Works nicely!

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
red712371
Mouseketeer

I buy giant ziplock bags at the dollar store. I have also bought the more expensive Ziplock brand at target. I put my clothes in there and squeeze out the air and then pack the ziplock bags. Seems like I can fit more in the suitcase like that and it makes unpacking and bag searches a breeze. Makes it super easy to find things, too.
red712371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
Been using these for years...I fill and press against the side of the bed to purge the air out....

After loading suitcase you scratch your head wondering why you have so much room left... So easy to overpack ....excess weight....these don't require a vacuum....

I can easily pack for 9 nights, do no laundry in a rolling duffle bag suitcase...
Just curious about these and the wrinkle effect on clothes? Is it bad? I would love to give these a try!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
fisherjenn
Caught the running bug <3

I've taken space bags in the past and they do help free up some space. And I have folded my clothes so they are super small and compact when I pack them (haha that's the best way I can describe it).

Fox on the run
Turkey Trot 5 Miler November 2013
Cheddar Challenge 5k June 2014
runDisney Castaway Cay 5k July 2014
fisherjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

I recently used those vaccum space bags. awesome! Really scary to see how condense stuff can get. I used them for two king size pillows ( we dont h ave thosesize were i live) and not even half of the suitcase bottom was filled. It was an extra large suitcase, but before it was over half.

Just keep in mind. Nby condensing, you will add more as you have space. Remeber airlines go also by weight. I knownfor myself, I couldnget in trouble here.

My tip, roll, use these or pack less and do laundry. We wash midtrip while swimming. IMO I'd leave half a suticase empty for shopping.

Btw. I checked and most resorts have mousekeepimg using vacs with a tube attachment. So i plan on hunting one down. Or i can sit on the bag
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Bellestreak
Mouseketeer

Another vote for compression bags. We have Eagle Creek ones and love them. We don't have wrinkle problems, but I always fully unpack as soon as I get there.
Just like other posters said, watch the weight though.
We always take enough clothes for the whole trip (that's 2 outfits a day for my 5 year old Messy Pants Kiddo), but this time I plan to take half and do laundry. Of course, I'm taking the same amount of luggage, should have plenty of room for....other things
Bellestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
plumsiren
DIS Veteran

Oh goodness, I haven't had to pack a suitcase to go on a plane in 6 years! Usually we drive to our destinations, and it's gotten so easy to say, hey, I have an SUV! I can just pack another bag. I think I'm gonna be in trouble!
plumsiren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: