Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Wow you listed some of the best options so you can't go wrong. Having said that if MK is your favorite go with CR given the Poly will be under construction. If you enjoy EC and the food than BC is your spot.

Also, WL is a great option as well even though that wasn't on your list.

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

I would choose the Poly or YC! Enjoy!
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
shana398
Mouseketeer

I would go with WL also. We were there last year and loved it. We went to Poly and CR while we were there, and even looked at the rooms. We liked WL better than either, plus it is a little cheaper. I think it is a romantic resort. It feels sort of secluded, yet it is a very short boat ride away from MK and from there you can take the Monorail to Epcot. Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time!
shana398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Congrats! DH and I spent our honeymoon at the Beach Club and loved it. It's a perfect location if you go to Epcot and HS a lot. There are also several restaurants between the YC/BC and the Boardwalk.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- AoA 3/15-BC, 5/15-YC
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabetforrest View Post
Wow. Thanks so much for all of the insight. For those of you recommending AKL for the entire stay, do you remember approximately how long it took you on average to get to the various parks. We do love that resort we were just worried it would really cut into park time, etc.
Unless you want to walk to Epcot or MK, I wouldn't worry about time to get to parks. If you have to take transportation to get somewhere, the length of time of the ride is only part of the equation. How long you wait for the bus/boat/monorail is part of the issue, plus the time it takes for you to get to the transportation stop from your room. Therefore, AKL takes no longer to get anywhere than other resorts, and is often quicker. I've stayed at Kidani and Jambo 4 time so far, and it is no worse than anywhere else. If the bus comes immediately, the ride to MK is 20 minutes. I've had to wait 20 minutes for buses from WL, take a 3 stop boat ride from BW, and walk, take an escalator, then wait for the monorail at CR and GF. Also, AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts. Transportation at AKL isn't an issue, so don't let it impact your decision if this is where you really want to stay.

If you need any specific info on AKL, check out the separate thread, the DVC Resorts thread, or message me. I've been going there since 2008.

Marie
DVC Member AKV, BLT
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

My sister had her 10 day honeymoon at the Poly and loved it. But, I think you're right about worrying about construction.

My favorite resort is Boardwalk Inn. Great location and I love the rooms.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Unless you want to walk to Epcot or MK, I wouldn't worry about time to get to parks. If you have to take transportation to get somewhere, the length of time of the ride is only part of the equation. How long you wait for the bus/boat/monorail is part of the issue, plus the time it takes for you to get to the transportation stop from your room. Therefore, AKL takes no longer to get anywhere than other resorts, and is often quicker. I've stayed at Kidani and Jambo 4 time so far, and it is no worse than anywhere else. If the bus comes immediately, the ride to MK is 20 minutes. I've had to wait 20 minutes for buses from WL, take a 3 stop boat ride from BW, and walk, take an escalator, then wait for the monorail at CR and GF. Also, AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts. Transportation at AKL isn't an issue, so don't let it impact your decision if this is where you really want to stay.

If you need any specific info on AKL, check out the separate thread, the DVC Resorts thread, or message me. I've been going there since 2008.

Marie
DVC Member AKV, BLT
I totally agree with this. I never understand when people complain about AKL being too far away. The buses are really great! In 2011 we did a split stay at Poly/AKL and I honestly felt like we were waiting *less* at AKL than we were at Poly for the monorail. Maybe it was just bad timing on our part at Poly, but I really felt like the AKL buses were easier/more efficient. Honestly, if the fear of longer transportation times is the only thing keeping you from booking AKL the whole time, I'd say go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed. Congrats!!
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

Personally I would go with the resort that most appeals to your taste, its really hard to go wrong with any of them. I know @ CR the sinks are a big issue for me. A man obviously designed those! There is NO space to put ANYTHING. Which gets really annoying when you are trying to get ready and doing your hair and makeup. If you like CR then you may want to try renting DVC points and staying at BLT. Also if you like AKL then I would stay there more than one night. You can easily spend one day just looking around the resort. Have you looked into AKL club level? I would think that would be comparable in price to the poly or CR.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
rabbitxstyle
Earning My Ears

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
rabbitxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #25
elizabetforrest
Earning My Ears

Well, you sold us on AKL. We extended our reservation there for the whole honeymoon. He had wanted to stay there the whole time but was just trying to make me happy. Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance. We couldn't be more excited!
elizabetforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, you sold us on AKL. We extended our reservation there for the whole honeymoon. He had wanted to stay there the whole time but was just trying to make me happy. Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance. We couldn't be more excited!
Yay!!!! Great choice. Have fun!!!!!
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
CONGRATS!! You'll LOVE AKL!! it's a little slice of Disney Heaven! Actually -- A BIG slice!!

It's our families favourite resort -- I always stay club level at Disney, and AKL has the best and most affordable Club Level! it's not much more than a Savahnah view room per night, I'd definitely recommend upgrading to it for your honeymoon if you can swing it -- it would add a whole other dimension to your stay and it's so convenient in the AM to get a quick start on the nice continental breakfast (they have a delicious one! I LOVE the Quinoia with the oatmeal ) --then free beer/wine/cordials later at night, with Appy hour and snacks through the day, desserts to wind down with at night, it's so wonderful, I adore AKL CL!!!

I stayed at AKL CL in Jan 2008 for 8 nights, and Sept 2009 for 12 nights. We've stayed at POLY CL and Beach Club CL too in 2011/ 2012 respectively -- and hands down, my teen son (17) and I pick AKL as our favourite every time!!
My next trip will be in Jan 2015, probably my first time without club level, but that's only because I need the extra space in a 1 BDRM at Kidani. I'll add on deluxe dining to make up for the loss of club level!
If the trip ends up being just DH and I instead of my son, his GF, DH and I --then I might just switch over to AKL CL because it honestly has been my favourite stay out of all of them!!

Have a great wedding and honeymoon

Marie

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: