Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Cabins

We are thinking of the cabins for 2014. My kids will be 9,almost 11 and 12 at the time.. I know the campground is big but thats ok.. we wont be renting a golf cart ( $$$)... give me the good the bad and the ugly please!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I have stayed in the cabins a few times. As a solo, I could never justify the cost of a golf cart. I used the bus system and never had any issues getting where I needed to go. If you have a car, it's nice to have your own little driveway so you can drive to the parks without worrying about finding a parking space at the resort. I usually request to be near transportation and have been placed near the front of loops with bus stops. The whole area feels more like a neighborhood than a hotel.

The cabins themselves are very nice. There is only one bathroom, but there is a vanity counter in the bedroom and the kitchen sink that can be used during the morning rush. The full size refrigerator comes in handy because it holds so much more and has a freezer. I like the fact that you don't share any walls with anyone else. The cabin always seemed quiet. The bedroom is a little small but should be fine for kids the ages of yours. Also, if you are concerned about those motion sensor thermostats, they don't have them here. You can make the cabin as warm or cold as you want.

I find the cabins work best for my trips where I will spend as much time at the resort as the parks.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

There is NO ugly!

Good (well actually GREAT!)
They are separate from anyone else's room, so no noise from neighbors to hear at all hours.
Really peaceful.
Ton's of stuff for the kids to do,
2 TVs, separate bedroom for kids with bunkbeds
Great pool and recreation area for games, crafts, shuffleboard, basketball,
The beach at night for fireworks and electrical water pageant.
The boat to MK and Contemporary (monorail resorts and EPCOT monorail access) and Wilderness Lodge.
Great food for take-out from Trail's End
Full kitchen and grill outside for cooking full meals. Housekeeping loads and runs the dishwasher. Full size fridge.
Deck to hang out under the trees, watch the wildlife.
Bus transportation is really frequent, it's fine without a golf cart unless you plan your park days to the minute. Otherwise, it's a nice pace to vacation.
Loop 2500 - right next to pool and laundry room, and a bus stop is right there. Second choice, loop 2600 for same reasons (across the street).
Park at your front door. If you drive, it makes it SO easy to drive to all the parks, except for MK. Really easy to pack and unpack too.
Good central location for everything at WDW.

Bad (actually "different from other resorts that could be a negative")
No food court like other mods
Dealing with HDDR visitors on the transportation. The boat from MK can be suddenly crowded with people who don't know what they're doing. Same with buses.
Idiots driving golf carts - doesn't happen often, but it can happen and you need to be alert.
Can't drive your car around the resort, just go in and out to other destinations
Storage can be a challenge if you don't use EVERY cabinet. Use the bathroom cabinets, kitchen cabs, ones on either side of Murphy bed, under TV, under kitchen bench area. Closet is smaller than other mods.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit my post. Honestly, our family LOVES it there. It really fits us well. We will pick this over a DVC 1 bedroom, it's become our #1 choice. And there's noplace better at Christmas.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: