Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #61
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I know the safe was locked. But the act of a housekeeper stealing from a locked safe is very, very, very (etc, etc, etc) rare. Think about how many people stay at Disney properties and how many times have you read about thefts for a locked safe? Bxccah will be perfectly safe keeping her cash locked up instead jumping through a bunch of hoops to get a vanilla card and the paying some company for the pleasure of using her own money.
Unless there were complaints then why the sting operation to catch this person?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #62
Ziggie
Gets "ziggie with it" for Disney
The TF is inspired by Ziggie!!!
Winner of the "Who's been extra nice on the boards this week" Award

Ok, I'm going to have to back out of this thread as I certainly don't want to get into a debate about using vanilla debit Visa cards. I've been using them for years without any issues.

Plus, there is a lot of misinformation being posted here about the card, it's uses, its fees, losing it, etc.

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #63
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Okay so I have to ask what is a Vanilla debit Visa card?

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #64
livndisney
DIS Veteran

wrong thread
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #65
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Okay so I have to ask what is a Vanilla debit Visa card?
It is a card with the Visa brand on it that you can put money on and use it like a debit or credit card.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #66
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

I'm from Canada, and every time we go, we bring a large amount of spending money with us -- most times around $2,000. I always put my money onto my room account, and just use my room key as a "debit card" for purchases. Last trip was the first time I decided to keep the money in Travelers cheques and keep it locked in the safe at the POLY....worked fine.
I may go back to the putting the large sum onto the room key again.....
but I think overall the safes are pretty safe

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Unless there were complaints then why the sting operation to catch this person?
I am not disputing that fact. I think that some of our foreign visitors get all caught up with US crime reports and statistics and feel they need to do *something* to keep themselves safe. What I am saying is that a housekeeper taking something from a locked safe almost never happens and *I* am not the type of person to worry about stuff that has a one-in-a-million chance of happening. For most people, protecting themselves against something that has a very, very low probability of happening -- and paying through the nose for that protection -- is overkill.

FWIW, I also don't douse the room with Lysol in an attempt to kill every germ or check for bed bugs. I don't have to make everything *just so* for my piece of mind. If you are, then that's OK if it makes you feel better . If it makes you feel safer to put your cash on one of these vanilla credit cards that's OK too. It's just not for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
People worry way too much about things. We have left laptops, phones, video games, DVD players, coins, and trading pins in our rooms. Cards and cash are in the save. Never once has anything been taking.
I believe it is not worry but preparedness...those who would have prepared differently had they been aware of a risk. We carry a lot of valuable electronics, Ipad, Iphones, etc. if those are stolen, does Disney cover all expenses? Likely not, one of those caveats you signed away as a guest. Would this make you invest in comprehensive travel insurance? Possibly, our homeowners policy has a thosand dollar deductible...not worth a claim, but who can easily replace an Ipad or who would want to?

I read these threads not to worry but to find options to protect ourselves on vacation, no clue front desks had safety deposit boxes until I read this...be informed, not worried.

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #69
dismom22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Would this make you invest in comprehensive travel insurance? Possibly, our homeowners policy has a thosand dollar deductible...not worth a claim, but who can easily replace an Ipad or who would want to?

I read these threads not to worry but to find options to protect ourselves on vacation, no clue front desks had safety deposit boxes until I read this...be informed, not worried.
I work for State Farm and just thought I would throw this out there...we offer a policy called a Personal Articles Policy or with other companies sometimes referred to as an inland marine policy. It offers a zero dollar deductible and 100% replacement cost on scheduled jewelry, electronics and more...and it's only a minimum of $30/year premium. Definitely something folks should look into if you have valuables...it also helps keep your homeowners policy claim free!
Walt Disney World-Off Site-2009
Coming Soon: WDW POP Century Sept 2013!!

dismom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #70
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I know the safe was locked. But the act of a housekeeper stealing from a locked safe is very, very, very (etc, etc, etc) rare. Think about how many people stay at Disney properties and how many times have you read about thefts for a locked safe?
Probably about as rare as a room fridge catching fire...

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #71
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Probably about as rare as a room fridge catching fire...
*snork* You have a point .
Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #72
karriealex

According to our news that shows a picture of the mousekeeper she had stolen from several rooms.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #73
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Once at the Poly we returned to our room late afternoon and housekeeping had been there, but the room was left unlocked. The little latch that they use to keep the door open while cleaning was still between the door and casing leaving door slightly ajar. No housekeeper or maintenance person - no one in site. It wasn't noticeable if you were just walking by but was a little unsettling thinking about how long our room must have been unlocked. Never reported it. Likely was accident. Still... Now I really don't travel with valuables and gives more peace of mind. What little I have, bit of cash, credit cards just stays in safe. Better there then carrying around parks and pools.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #74
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Ok, I'm going to have to back out of this thread as I certainly don't want to get into a debate about using vanilla debit Visa cards. I've been using them for years without any issues.

Plus, there is a lot of misinformation being posted here about the card, it's uses, its fees, losing it, etc.

Everyone have a wonderful day!
Why not just state the facts? I just read through what people had said, and they have posted a sentence or two about losing it and what might happen, or saying to check the fees (always a good idea). Why not just simply state the facts as you know them as a user of the card? Why back out of it, and why see it as a *debate*? There haven't been two sides posted other than "use them it's easy" and "check the fees and don't lose it".

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #75
plumsiren
DIS Veteran

I was just thinking...I can't remember my parents ever in my life putting anything in the room safe! Of course this was before the days of laptops and whatnot, but they always had traveler's checks, and kept those and their credit cards with them at all times (I'll never forget having to call Amex to cancel from our room at CBR after dad's wallet flew out of his pocket on BTMRR - fortunately when we went back a CM had turned it in, cash still in it). I've done the same when traveling by myself.

And re: the other post about the person's watch, why would you take an expensive watch on vacation? Or are these the kind of people who don't own any other kind?
plumsiren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: