Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The article says the items were in the safe. It does not say the safe was locked. Nor does it say how she gained access to the safe if it was locked. It also says she worked at the All Stars. While some resorts now have safes with electronic locks, the values still have safes with keys. Those safes could probably be pried open or picked.

If there is a master key or a master code, I find it difficult to believe it is given to the housekeepers. If it is, that's really bad practice.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
It does happen everywhere, like a previous poster said. I'm just glad they caught and arrested her. But this is why I was totally freaking out on our last trip when the mousekeeper kept leaving the curtains to my room open.... I travel with two laptops as well as a bunch of other electronics. You can't stash them all (and you can't fit laptops in the safe). At one point, I even clothespinned the curtains together, she obviously didn't get the hint.
You can't? No you can stash them all. You just chose not to. Plus you can buy locking devices that attach the laptops to the furniture.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

a long time ago ( actually it was in April 2004 ) my husband & I took a kids free trip for a weekend and stayed at POR.

For whatever reason, I moved the iron in the room which was mounted on the wall in the closet area. A safe key was hidden under that iron, and when tried to open our room safe, it opened it!! I can't remember what we did with the key but I'm pretty sure we took it so it did not happen again...I know we did not notify the hotel, not sure why not..... anyway I do not trust safes with keys anymore.....now I'm worried about electric ones!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
It does happen everywhere, like a previous poster said. I'm just glad they caught and arrested her. But this is why I was totally freaking out on our last trip when the mousekeeper kept leaving the curtains to my room open.... I travel with two laptops as well as a bunch of other electronics. You can't stash them all (and you can't fit laptops in the safe). At one point, I even clothespinned the curtains together, she obviously didn't get the hint.
Maybe she assumed that you did that for privacy reasons when changing or sleeping in the room. Unless you left her a note that said "please keep curtains closed at all times to protect the valuables I leave laying around", I'm not sure there was any hint to get

I think people in general place too much trust in the higher ups. Sure there may be a master key, or someone knows a master code, but what is to stop them from giving it to the individual mousekeepers who are in your room daily? There are only a few ways to get into those safes if they are locked, a key, a code or it was pried into.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

The safes at the Polynesian are now electronic and you have to set your own passcode. That said there is also another way to gain access and that is to slide your room key through the lock. Either this mousekeeper had gotten access to a master code or somehow picked up a room key for that room. I would think it would be much easier to get a hold of a room key.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Since the All Stars still have the old safes which open with a key, it was likely not one of the nicer, larger, electronic keypad safes like the Poly has (LOVE those, HATE the value safes).

I'd like to think this might be enough to prompt Disney to upgrade the key safes to the electronic safes, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

shyjade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Since the All Stars still have the old safes which open with a key, it was likely not one of the nicer, larger, electronic keypad safes like the Poly has (LOVE those, HATE the value safes).

I'd like to think this might be enough to prompt Disney to upgrade the key safes to the electronic safes, but I know that's just wishful thinking.
If that is true then it would be very easy to steal from those safes. All a mousekeeper would have to do is get a key out of a room when it wasn't in use and have a copy made. They could do that multiple times with different rooms. Would make sense for Disney to upgrade. I never thought of this when we used them and always considered them safe. Not any more. Of course if they do upgrade each person who stayed there would need to take responsibility for not leaving a key laying around as you can bypass the code using your key.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
Ziggie
Gets "ziggie with it" for Disney
The TF is inspired by Ziggie!!!
Winner of the "Who's been extra nice on the boards this week" Award

I want to really know how she got into the locked safe. I know there's been speculation (duplicate key made.. not sure how that could happen though, aren't the keys copy proof to the average person?)

This disturbs me. I know "it happens"... but it still ruffles my feathers

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post

I want to really know how she got into the locked safe. I know there's been speculation (duplicate key made.. not sure how that could happen though, aren't the keys copy proof to the average person?)

This disturbs me. I know "it happens"... but it still ruffles my feathers
Where there is a will there is a way. I don't think the mousekeeper probably went through normal means to get a key made as it might be questioned.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
So, they set up the bait inside the locked safe, and didn't point a camera at the safe? What kind of surveillance team does that?
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
Ziggie

What I'm looking to learn is how she actually did it, know what I mean? I'm quite curious about it. I'm realistic enough to know that I'll probably never find out though

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
So, they set up the bait inside the locked safe, and didn't point a camera at the safe? What kind of surveillance team does that?
Amateur sleuths! lol!

Seriously, that part makes no sense at all. With the tiny size of cameras, you could put one virtually anywhere.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Subbing here. We are staying at BC in October & i always use the safe to store meds, iPod etc. that spooks me!!
Spooked me too, I'll be storing $400 cash, as I don't have a credit card!

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
We are talking about Florida here and yes I live here. We can't get an election correct much less surveillance LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The article says the items were in the safe. It does not say the safe was locked. Nor does it say how she gained access to the safe if it was locked. It also says she worked at the All Stars. While some resorts now have safes with electronic locks, the values still have safes with keys. Those safes could probably be pried open or picked.

If there is a master key or a master code, I find it difficult to believe it is given to the housekeepers. If it is, that's really bad practice.
The safe was locked.

Quote:
On Tuesday, investigators planted a wallet with $100 inside and put another $400 inside a locked safe and set up surveillance in the room to see if Francois would take the bait, her arrest report said.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6027089.story

Even if the safe wasn't locked and she took something that didn't belong to her, she's a thief.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: