Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
LAS321
When you wish upon a star...

For the past several years we have gotten the DDP and liked the idea of knowing our meals were paid for up front. But last year we just felt it was too much food for us to consume in a day and that we weren't really eating what we wanted to. We love appetizers and since they aren't included in the DDP we ended up either paying OOP or skipping them. So this year we decided to skip the DDP. We were very happy ordering a few appetizers and splitting a meal and skipping dessert at the restaurant and getting something later in another place (Ghiardelli's, Dole Whip, Kringla Bakery). We ate plenty of food, had some nice wine and sangria and when we figured it all out we saved $271.00. For us, the flexibility of ordering what we wanted and not worrying about what was included in the plan just made dining more enjoyable.
Everyone has to do what's best for them and we think paying OOP makes more sense for us!
1983 ~ Polynesian, 1986 ~ Hotel Plaza, 1988,1991,1993 off-site, 1995,1997~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza, 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~Caribbean Beach Resort Port Orleans Riverside 2008,2009, 2010 July 2014~ CSR and POR!!
LAS321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
wysteria
Mouseketeer

We are going this year with my family (hubby+son) and my parents and my uncle.

My dad insisted that we get the dining plan that way everyone can order what they want without feeling guilty about ordering the most expensive thing. He knows my uncle would, for a fact, order the cheapest thing on the menu if we were paying OOP. My husband also has the uncanny ability to be able to pick and order the most expensive thing on any menu without even knowing prices beforehand lol.

Of course the only pin offer I have so far for our march 2014 is the stay/play/dine so it works out well anyways lol.
October 2006 - All Star Sports
December 2011 - Pop Century
March 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside

WDW March 2014 Facebook Group

wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
PSULion
Mouseketeer

We fall in the "rarity" category I guess. With 2 small kids who love characters, are picky eaters at times, and don't like to sit still very long waiting for food, we do almost all character meals/buffets. Just works better for our family.

I make adr's and then do the math every year, and still come out ahead with the dining plan. We do a military room discount, but then add the dining plan on.

I totally understand why it doesn't work for everyone, but for anyone doing all/mostly meals with a set price, its a pretty good deal!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #34
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion View Post
We fall in the "rarity" category I guess. With 2 small kids who love characters, are picky eaters at times, and don't like to sit still very long waiting for food, we do almost all character meals/buffets. Just works better for our family.

I make adr's and then do the math every year, and still come out ahead with the dining plan. We do a military room discount, but then add the dining plan on.

I totally understand why it doesn't work for everyone, but for anyone doing all/mostly meals with a set price, its a pretty good deal!
I take back my "rarity" statement

Clearly there are many examples where it works.

It's all about the math and knowing what your family habits are.

The key is to be an informed consumer...there really is no right or wrong way to do it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #35
pooch
I feel so special now!!

for our upcoming trip

11/29 thru 12/6. We are going down to visit DD who lives in Kissimmee. DH is not a WDW fan so the original plan was to stay off-site at the Marriott Grande Vista. Cost - $1750.00 for 7 nights and 2 3-day WDW passes (DD has AP). Then WDW Guest Services called and offered Free DDP for our trip. Cost now $2190.00 for 7 nights (only 6 on DDP) and 3 2-day passes.

So for the additional $440.00 we will get approx 5+ full days of food paid for 3 adults and DD will have a 2 day ticket to apply toward her AP renewal next year, a value of around $185. Couldn't feed 3 adults for 5+ days for $255.00. And we won't have to rent a car. DME from/to the airport, access to DTD and Boardwalk on WDW transp and DD's car will cover us. I've chosen TS meals that give us a variety (ie Italian, Meat & potatoes, Irish pub, Thanksgiving meal, chicken & ribs) and have something for everyone.

We've used Free DDP since its inception. I keep my receipts and have always come out ahead. As is the general consensus here, works for some, not for others.

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
PSULion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
I take back my "rarity" statement

Clearly there are many examples where it works.

It's all about the math and knowing what your family habits are.

The key is to be an informed consumer...there really is no right or wrong way to do it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #37
Tormania
Mouseketeer

I've built a spreadsheet to try to do an accurate estimate of our costs on the DDP and OOP for our upcoming trip. Have it broken out into Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snack for all three of us (2 adults, 1 child) for 7 nights. Taking into account tax/gratutity as well. Still haven't estimated all of our CS meals yet, but do have some averages already calculated. For us it looks like the DDP will provide some savings if we were to order exactly the same thing if we go OOP. But we're talking less that $100 savings.

Doing several character meals as well.

But obviously any realized savings varies for different folks. I know that years ago the plan was MUCH better than it is now.

I have about 6-7 weeks to finalize my estimates and make the decision to pay for the DDP early or pay OOP there. If the savings was much bigger one way or the other it would be an easier decision to make compared to the "convienence" of one or the other.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysteria View Post
We are going this year with my family (hubby+son) and my parents and my uncle.

My dad insisted that we get the dining plan that way everyone can order what they want without feeling guilty about ordering the most expensive thing. He knows my uncle would, for a fact, order the cheapest thing on the menu if we were paying OOP. My husband also has the uncanny ability to be able to pick and order the most expensive thing on any menu without even knowing prices beforehand lol.

Of course the only pin offer I have so far for our march 2014 is the stay/play/dine so it works out well anyways lol.
And we were the exact opposite.

When I'm on the ddp I end of stressing over the cost of the meal and I make sure I order t he most expensive thing even if I only want a salad because God forbid I didn't maximize my credits.
That's why I never understand the "not think about what you order" line of thinking.
The two times I did the ddp that's all I did was over whether or not I got the most out of my credits.

Was anyone around when they first introduced the ddp? Do you remember all the post we had that asked "where can I get the most expensive meal in the park" or some variation of that. Remember when people would advise you never to use your ts credits for breakfast because it was not the best use of credits?

I find people obsess way more about food on the ddp than off.

now that my kids are all disney adults and the plan is way over 50 bucks per person, it's a no brainer. It's no longer the cheaper option, we simple would not eat 220 dollars worth of meal every day.

I like op did the same breakdown 2 summers ago. haven't gone back and since I always stay deluxe it's not even a deal with free dining.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
For us, DDP, even if free doesn't work as 2 adults. The way we like to eat isn't conducive to the contstraints of DDP. Have we done it in the past? Yes. Would I consider it when LO gets older and we want to do character breakfasts with her. Definitely. But at the present time, doesn't work for us OOP.

And yes, FD is a completely different story. It makes me want to research based on a family of X number kids and adults staying at X level resort, what the actual % shakes out to be. A project for this afternoon!
I agree with this, even though I'm a huge fan of free dining and am using it for 10 days in November!

My uncle and I go almost every year and share a room, and meet my brother's family there (they live near Ft. Lauderdale.) The timing is based on my niece's birthday at the beginning of November, so the time we are already going happens to coincide well with Free Dining promos, and my uncle strongly prefers to stay on property, so we aren't picking our hotel based on getting free food. For us, it truly is FREE, IMO, so any money it saves is a gain for us. We both think the counter service meals are too big for one person, so we generally share everything. Even with getting three counter meals a day to share, we end up with one extra per day. We're both snackers, so we normally use all our snacks and pay OOP for a few at the end. It was great when you could convert counter service to three snacks, but those days are apparently over. We did use a couple of our extra meals last year to get "continental breakfasts" the night before our VERY early bus to the airport and save them for the next day. We still had meals left over, but we feel like it works out really well for us by using it the way we want and not worrying too much about what we pay OOP.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #40
pooch
I feel so special now!!

totally OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
And we were the exact opposite.

When I'm on the ddp I end of stressing over the cost of the meal and I make sure I order t he most expensive thing even if I only want a salad because God forbid I didn't maximize my credits.
That's why I never understand the "not think about what you order" line of thinking.
The two times I did the ddp that's all I did was over whether or not I got the most out of my credits.

Was anyone around when they first introduced the ddp? Do you remember all the post we had that asked "where can I get the most expensive meal in the park" or some variation of that. Remember when people would advise you never to use your ts credits for breakfast because it was not the best use of credits?

I find people obsess way more about food on the ddp than off.

now that my kids are all disney adults and the plan is way over 50 bucks per person, it's a no brainer. It's no longer the cheaper option, we simple would not eat 220 dollars worth of meal every day.

I like op did the same breakdown 2 summers ago. haven't gone back and since I always stay deluxe it's not even a deal with free dining.
But Eliza61, the quote in your signature made my day and brought peals of laughter to the office. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for brightening our day!!!

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Found the same to be true. And we were well fed. Ate what we wanted, when we wanted, and did the table service places I wanted (not based on which cost more or less).

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #42
SDTeaGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion

We are doing the DDP this December. Didn't get it free. We have a lot of character meals CRT. Cp tusker 1900 park fare for bfast and dinner. Fultons . H & v with F! Biergarten with cp askerkus t rex. Plus all qs and snack meals. I figured me dh and dd that is nine on the DDP will break even or come out a couple of dollars ahead. I figured what we would eat each day and totaled it up before tax. DDP WAS $30 HIGHER but when u add tax into meal we will be saving. I like the convience of it Nd done have to worry about forming the money out on vacation. It will be paid for in advance. If we didn't do all the character meals we would not do the dining plan
SDTeaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #43
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

here's my experience/breakdown...in the past i got the DDP because it was free...this time around there was a big discount on the rooms and i passed on the dining plan...

The cost was somewhere around $660 for me (big eater), wife and 10YO daughter (likes lunch and her snacks), who counts as an adult....here's the cost of our meals from start to finish:

8/18:

Breakfast at IHop- $38 incl tip
Lunch at Seasons in EPCOT- $50 = 1QS
Dinner at LTT- $120 incl tip = 1TS

8/19:

Breakfast at Wave- $58 incl tip
Dinner at Casey's Corner- $50 = 1QS

8/20:

Breakfast at Rainforest Cafe- $55 incl tip
Dinner at Plaza Restaurant- $60 incl tip = 1TS

8/21 (Departure Day):

Breakfast at Crystal Palace- $84 incl tip = 1TS
Lunch at Cosmic Rays- $40 = 1QS

Snacks

about 10 total snacks at $4 each or $40
-------------------------------------------

total spent was $595, which includes the cost of 3 breakfasts which would not have been covered under the DDP....

IMO the DDP works if you're going to do a lot of expensive character meals...had we eaten at Chef Mickey's, CRT, etc the DDP makes sense but in the end not getting the plan was best for us...the savings here was about 30% but if i carve out the tips, not included in DDP, the savings would be an additional 20%....

Last edited by Zeppelin; 08-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #44
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

I usually tend to break even or come out $50 ahead with the DDP. I have looked at the menu this time with the places we plan to eat and what we will be eating versus how much the dining plan would've cost ( we're getting free dining ), and still breaking even. For my family getting the dining plan and breaking even is awesome! We do not always order the most expensive items, but hubby does like his steak and cheesecake. I love the character meals. We would eat as much and the same things on or off the plan, in fact I always wish we could eat more but the dining plan kinda forces me to stick to a plan.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #45
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

We are getting free dining in november, but I have always felt for us, the room discount was a better deal (being at a deluxe). This year we are staying at a moderate and taking advantage of the FD. I used the dining plan once before when you got apps, entree, and dessert. It was a lot of food, but a much better deal on paper. I wish you could sub apps for desserts though-that would work better for us.

me, DH, DS(6)
OCT 2001-AKL / OCT 2002-engaged at AKL / OCT 2006-AKL
DEC 2008-DS first trip-GF / MAY 2010-GPs, AKL / OCT 2011-Poly / NOV 2012-DL with cousins/ NOV 2013 CSR with GPs/ SpringBreak 2014-CR
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: