Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
pooch
I feel so special now!!

when its just DD and me

we stay at POP. We are looking for a clean room in which to sleep and shower. We are gone all day and don't hang out at the pool. I request building 1 or 2, high floor, facing the parking lot - a quiet area. By the time we get to the food court for breakfast, the early risers have cleared out & we're never there for lunch or dinner. The bus situation at park close can be challenging but we aren't in a hurry and have learned to be patient. Eventually we'll get back to the resort. We could spend more but find we don't need to.

When DH comes, its got to be Moderate or Deluxe as he does want to spend time at the resort. We loved WL but the Moderates are more than fine for us.

I'd like to stay at a Deluxe again some time but, for me, I can't justify the cost.

Last edited by pooch; 08-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

I'll be honest: I'm very budget-minded. We've been able to go to Disney 3 yrs in a row due to the fact that we stay in the Value resorts, plus we book when the free dining comes around. We're by no means wealthy, but by no means poor. We're an average family with a budget. When we're at Disney, we're in the parks all day. I'm sure some resorts offer some nice things to do during the day, but honestly, I'm not traveling all that way to sit by a pool. I can do that at home. That all being said, we are perfectly happy at Value resorts, and have had nothing but great experiences. Maybe one day we'll try a mod or a deluxe....maybe. All we need is a bed and a shower and we're good. Each to their own, but don't knock it til you try it!

Dragging the Kids Back to WDW, a Sept. 2014 PTR!
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
leafE
Mouseketeer

A lot of it depends on your touring style. If you're the type who wants to hang out at the resort a lot, then a value probably won't work for you. I personally have never stayed anywhere but a value because I spend all my time in the parks and just want a place to sleep and shower. There's no point in paying extra for amenities I'll never use. If amenities are important to you, there's nothing wrong with that, but it is a tad bit unfair to harshly judge a resort that you haven't even visited.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

I am a lover of the Deluxe resorts. I am not going to lie about it. If I could go and stay deluxe every time I would. However my next two trips are solo and semi solo. In Sept I am going for two nights, staying at ASMo the first night and SSR the second (only switching because that is where my friend is staying, however i just got an enticing pin that may make me switch to two nights at SSR). In November I am coming down for Wine and Dine and staying at POR, i did the math on that one and it would only be $100 more to stay Mod verse Value, so I bit, but otherwise I would have had no problem staying at one of the All Stars. I am trying to stay at every hotel on property to find my favorite. Although I have to admit the themes to ASMy and ASSp don't really appeal to me.
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

A few thoughts....
Room size..yes the values are smaller than the moderates. BUT...not by much. Maybe a foot each way. There is only the one sink at the values. I like the larger vanity area and double sinks at POR. Storage is about the same at both. Bed size can be an issue. I have no issue with a double bed. But, we don't stay in a value if there are three of us...it's either my dd and myself or my dh and me. So we each get our own bed.
Theming.....yes, the moderates are more adult in theming. There isn't anything nicer than walking around POR and just enjoying the landscaping. But in all truth?? I really enjoy my walks around both Pop and AoA!! Not as 'lush' but nice all the same.
I seldom use hot tubs at WDW. Almost every single time I've tried to use one, I've been hugely bothered by kids playing in the hot tub. Then there are the adults who sit there and drink. I have nothing against drinking but it's a bit obnoxious to behave as some do in the hot tubs!!!

It all boils down to what you want and need. I'm staying at Pop in November, with my dh. We cancelled our Dolphin reservation and got Pop for a huge amount less!!! I normally like to stay DVC but there were literally no rooms to be had that weekend!!! Big race weekend as well as Veteran's Day.

I usually take care of tidying up the room before we leave. Literally all housekeeping has to do is replenish toiletries!! So, not having daily housekeeping while staying on DVC points isn't a huge deal for me. In fact? I will hang out the privacy thingie on my door every other day so as to not have anyone in my room!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #36
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I mostly go solo - I've stayed at all level of resorts and discovered that for me - a value resort is for a short trip or just a couple of days.

Any more than that and I get tired of the big icons, noise, and extra crowded food courts.
The standard rooms to me are only for 2 people - those rooms feel crowded to me with more people than that in them and I won't share a double bed with anyone.

Many people only sleep and shower at their resorts and love the big icons so the values are great for them.

The 4 of us went and stayed in an ASMu Suite in June 2013. It worked ok but by day 3 I wanted a nicer resort - we were spending alot more time at the resort than usual and I was bored.
I guess I should be glad it was only a 4 night trip.

I've been doing mostly moderates lately since the ever rising costs of deluxes is starting to push me out of those unless I do a split stay with value/deluxe.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: