Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Regardless of the popularity of Soarin', I don't agree with the idea of killing an entire pavilion to double it's capacity. They should come up with a NEW E-ticket, such that it can absorb some of Soarin's popularity so they can take each concourse down for the updates.

Just building more Soarin' is just "more of the same" and isn't moving forward, which is what Disney used to be known for.
You can't be shopping if your standing in line an hour and a half for Soarin'.

New and digital film is much needed. The amount of scratches on the Soarin' film are distracting at this point.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
You can't be shopping if your standing in line an hour and a half for Soarin'.

New and digital film is much needed. The amount of scratches on the Soarin' film are distracting at this point.
Soarin' definitely does need attention and upgrading. More capacity wouldn't be a bad thing, but it is a reasonable point that if there were additional e-ticket attractions (inclusive of a retro-Journey) there would be less time spent in line for Soarin'.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando

seems like they could film and develop several different flights that are random
Once they switch to digital projection this will be easy to do. Don't know if they are planning on it...they don't seem to need to draw people back.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Sorry, your CM friend is ill-informed. They showed this with the second part of the rumor. As soon as they stated that they were going to reopen Wonders of Life - the entire rest of the rumor is suspect.

(A) Body Wars is completely non-functional. They scavenged all the ride vehicle parts for Star Tours - they had the same ride mechanism. They couldn't bring it back if they want to.

(B) Cranium Command is similarly gone.

(C) The rest of the pavillion is big empty space. It is NOT reopening as Wonders of Life.

Back to the Imagination Pavillion. There is NO WAY they are bulldozing the building. I know they did that for Horizon/Mission Space, so I suppose not impossible if there is really a need, but I don't think that happens. Re-doing the ride to something fans would enjoy would probably cost $20-50 million. Bulldozing and rebuilding you are probably talking $250 million, and it just doesn't make any sense. It's not like they are going to turn it into a thrill ride.

A couple of pieces of information about the Soarin' Film:
1) They change the print every 3-4 months. I am not sure why it looks so bad - maybe Florida humidity - but you are not looking at an "old" print.
2) Digital is coming, but probably not for a few more years. Maybe 2016.
3) It is unlikely you will get a "randomized" film at any point. It might happen that there would be two films. However, as long as Soarin' is as popular as it is, you will not see a new film. When peak lines drop below 120 minutes, maybe.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
DLFT
Mouseketeer

As much as I wish the WOL reopening would be true, I think it may happen but definetly not till later in the decade at the earliest...once avatarland and the new HS lands are open I'm sure Disney will take a good look at WOL, U of E, Innoventions, and if not already Imagination! as well.

My vote for a short term solution would be to put Muppet Vision where Captain Eo is right now (since Muppets will probably be remove in the coming years anyway for Star Wars and/or Pixar) and redo the pavilion entirely in 2016/17/18 along with the other things in Future World that need some love. I can dream, right?
DLFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #36
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
A couple of pieces of information about the Soarin' Film:
1) They change the print every 3-4 months. I am not sure why it looks so bad - maybe Florida humidity - but you are not looking at an "old" print.
I'd be a bit surprised if they changed that often...but then again I'm not. IMAX films are generally not designed to be run near constantly like that, and they have special cleaning systems, etc.

A typical IMAX print costs $35-50k, IIRC. Soarin' is obviously shorter. Don't know if they use a short print, or perhaps a long print with it repeated several times.

2) Digital is coming, but probably not for a few more years. Maybe 2016.[/quote]

No sooner that 2014. They haven't even released IMAX-worthy digital projection systems yet, but that is due soon. Then they have to adapt for the Omnimax dome screen. There is a rumor of a new film in 2015 to coincide with Shanghai, so that would be an ideal time to change.

Quote:
3) It is unlikely you will get a "randomized" film at any point. It might happen that there would be two films. However, as long as Soarin' is as popular as it is, you will not see a new film. When peak lines drop below 120 minutes, maybe.
Digital makes it easy, but I likewise said earlier I don't see it until they need to draw people back. They don't need to do that now, and wouldn't need to do it with a new overall film - but they might have the new film ready to be chopped up for it.

Star Tours was a bit different - they have excess capacity, and they are trying to draw from TSM.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #37
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
That is actually good to know. Still, a film that is run that many times per day is going to get scratched up. It does not bother me. Doesn't anyone remember the good ol' days of cinema?

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

Soarin needs to double it's size though so the crowds can be healthier for the park. And I thought the sinkhole theory for horizons was true
PuppyJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
DLFT
Mouseketeer

I don't think doubling Soarin's size is the right answer to make the crowds healthier...if that was true we would have two TSM's, two Expedition Everests, ect. What Epcot needs is one more E-Ticket. They have the space with WOL, the Odyssey, and Millennium Village to make that happen. The matter of fact is that HS and AK need more love at the moment than Epcot...but that will change in a few years once Avatarland and Star Wars Land and/or Pixar Place Expansion occur.
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #40
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'd be a bit surprised if they changed that often...but then again I'm not. IMAX films are generally not designed to be run near constantly like that, and they have special cleaning systems, etc.

A typical IMAX print costs $35-50k, IIRC. Soarin' is obviously shorter. Don't know if they use a short print, or perhaps a long print with it repeated several times.
I got the changeover frequency directly from one of the Soarin' CM leads. I can't remember what he said the prints cost, but it was tens of thousands. As you say, they run the reel at least 70 times a day. (~every 10 minutes for 12 hours a day). Considering the way movie prints used to wear being shown 6 times a day...

He is also the one that said they are a few years away from digital.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFT View Post
I don't think doubling Soarin's size is the right answer to make the crowds healthier...if that was true we would have two TSM's, two Expedition Everests, ect. What Epcot needs is one more E-Ticket. They have the space with WOL, the Odyssey, and Millennium Village to make that happen. The matter of fact is that HS and AK need more love at the moment than Epcot...but that will change in a few years once Avatarland and Star Wars Land and/or Pixar Place Expansion occur.
I thought Expedition Everest wasn't really that busy? I know it can get crowded but on average it has the crowds Tower of Terror gets
Old 08-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
DLFT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
I thought Expedition Everest wasn't really that busy? I know it can get crowded but on average it has the crowds Tower of Terror gets
It's not as crowded compared to the E-Tickets at other parks, it's just the only "headliner" attraction at AK...HS has 3 1/2 (RR, TOT, TSM, 1/2 for Star Tours). AK has 1 1/2 (EE and Dinosaur, which while its my second favorite attracition at WDW, had a <20min wait in the middle of the day over my trip this past spring break).
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #43
HollyEpcot
Mouseketeer

I like the idea of different films for Soarin- it would be like the new Star Tours-
The original Figment ride was amazing- would love for it to return. Can we also bring back Horizons?
I really dislike having abandoned buildings at EPCOT- so strange seeing the remains of the wonder of life pavilion when they use it as a welcome center for food and wine and garden feet! A very badly managed use of the pavilion! And what is the deal with the abandoned Greek restaurant on the water? That's been empty for how long? 10-20 years? Why hasn't something new opened there?
HollyEpcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #44
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

You may have forgotten Kilimanjaro is a headliner too
Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #45
Gingerg11
I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Checked back again. Yes, he definitely said bulldozing the bldg as opposed to gutting it. He either did not hear what was going to happen to Figment/Imagination or chose not to share. Confirmed he said that WoL would be reopened to "compensate" for Imagination being down (his words). And I found out he is now a full time CM. I have no idea where he heard this information.

I had heard that some of the attractions in WoL were dismantled years ago but never heard anything definitively. Who knows? Last Oct the tour guide on the KTTK tour told us SpectroMagic was coming back in Dec. that never happened, obviously. But years ago a CM at the CR told us about the game room/Food & Fun Ctr move and the vacation club (BLT) due to be built and we pooh-poohed him. Never happen we said. The joke was on us.
Gingerg11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: