Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
underminer
Mouseketeer

Tired of Jungle Cruise "schtick"

So we are happily preparing for another trip to the parks next month and as we discuss our itinerary and favorite attractions, the jungle cruise is something of an enigma. I love the history, concept and theming of this ride but I've grown tired of the skippers jokes. I have fond memories as a kid of the immersive excitement of this ride with the skipper adding to the whole experience. Now when you ride, it's all a big joke. It was amusing at first but hearing a lot of the same jokes over and over again gets old. Can you imagine if Pirates had a tour guide that made fun of every animatronic and scene? It would ruin the immersiveness of the experience! I would love to see them plus up the ride, add some new surprises and return it to classic attraction status like pirates and HM. Maybe i am in the minority here but I would love to see Jungle Cruise become a true adventure again! What are your thoughts?
underminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
MickeyFan18
Mouseketeer

I love the Jungle Cruise but I agree its not on my must do list since I feel i have heard it all. Last time we rode we were so excited because we heard a new joke so we rode again and heard the same new joke... Its like they must have just got it added to their spiel... I wish they would give the skippers a little more freedom so each ride could be a little different!
MickeyFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Swtonscrappn
Mouseketeer

When I went on the ride in March, the skipper tried a whole bunch of new jokes...and IMHO they all fell flat. I like the corniness of the ride...it still makes me giggle

Swtonscrappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

Maybe b/c I only go to Dland once a year, I have found that my rides on the Jungle Cruise are a nice mix of old (classic) jokes and new ones. It is still a v fun ride for me and my family. I look forward to the classic backside-of-water jokes (it is like looking forward to hearing the pirates yelp "We wants the redhead!" - happens every time but you'd miss it if it went away), and I am delighted by the new material that has crept in since my last visit.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
NiceOneSimba
DIS Veteran

For me, the schtick is the whole point of the ride! Yes, it's incredibly corny, and even groan-worthy...but it wouldn't be the Jungle Cruise without it!

I do like it when the skippers mix it up a little, (so it doesn't seem like the same exact thing every time you ride), but I would be really disappointed if I didn't get to hear some of the old faithfuls (Dr. Albert Falls, backside of water) on my cruise.
WDW Trips: 11/1978 DLR Trips: 7/1988 (first visit!), 7/1991, 4/2008 (with students) Anabella, 4/2011 (with students) Anabella, 9/2011 (DD's first trip!) BWPPI, 8/2012 Tropicana, 1/18-20/2014 (Tink Half Marathon) BWPPI, 1/29-2/2/2014 (DD's 5th birthday surprise!) DI&S
Upcoming: Innaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend (Rebel Challenge) DI&S
NiceOneSimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

I love all the old stuff. I think that the CM delivery makes all the difference to me. You can tell some of the CM have a lot more fun with the material than others. So I'm good with the old jokes done with great timing and enthusiasm. The kidding around with guests adds to the fun as well.

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2001, April 2003, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

I'm with you. I wish the skippers were still allowed to ad lib with some of their own shtick like they used to do. I can't remember when Disney decided the skippers had to go strictly by the script, but after that the jokes went flat for me on most rides. There is still the occasional skipper who manages to infuse enough of his/her personality to make it funny, but most of the time I find it hard to muster up a chuckle though I feel obliged to do so for the sake of the poor skipper who has to say it.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
disneycat321
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceOneSimba View Post
For me, the schtick is the whole point of the ride! Yes, it's incredibly corny, and even groan-worthy...but it wouldn't be the Jungle Cruise without it!
Agreed! I love the corniness! But the CM really does make a difference -their delivery is everything.

I'm an AP holder so we go to DLR all the time, and we do frequently go on Jungle Cruise. I just love it even though I've heard the jokes a million times. It's just - there's something about it that makes it special.

DLR:
DLR Visits (No longer locals!): Dec 2014...(more to come!)
2009-2014 SoCal local DLR AP holders (went more times than I can count!)

WDW:Always dreaming of another trip...
May 2013 POR
June 2010 Honeymoon POR
disneycat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
jlindley9
Permanecer sentados, por favor

This is actually my favorite attraction. I believe that the skippers are still allowed to do some of their own material, mixed in with the required lines. I agree that most of the jokes from most of the skippers are too corny and fall flat. However, every once in a while, you get a really clever skipper and it is a great experience. I have also heard that if you go on one of the last boats of the night, especially if there are no children on board, the skippers will be a little more original with their material.

(me) (DW) (DD8) (DS3)

"Life is so much easier when you are nice to people"

-------------------------------------------------
jlindley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
kylie71
Can't wait for more!
I love mexican food, sooo Much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underminer View Post
So we are happily preparing for another trip to the parks next month and as we discuss our itinerary and favorite attractions, the jungle cruise is something of an enigma. I love the history, concept and theming of this ride but I've grown tired of the skippers jokes. I have fond memories as a kid of the immersive excitement of this ride with the skipper adding to the whole experience. Now when you ride, it's all a big joke. It was amusing at first but hearing a lot of the same jokes over and over again gets old. Can you imagine if Pirates had a tour guide that made fun of every animatronic and scene? It would ruin the immersiveness of the experience! I would love to see them plus up the ride, add some new surprises and return it to classic attraction status like pirates and HM. Maybe i am in the minority here but I would love to see Jungle Cruise become a true adventure again! What are your thoughts?
So do not ride it! It is what it is, you know that going in........ it's for sure better, if the Skipper is into his character, skip it if you are not "feeling the corniness".... it's a original ride that Walt worked on.....

Thanks!
Lori
kylie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
ajrwdwgirl
Mouseketeer

I love the jokes! The cornier the better! It does kind of depend on the skipper, luckily we have gotten some good skippers.
ajrwdwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

I agree, so I just don't go on it! I love the ride and this history of the ride, but the jokes have become boring to me and almost secondhand embarrassment. I go on it every once in a while but it is not my favorite.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer

It all depends on your skipper. If he/she is really into the character, then no matter how corny or bad the jokes are, they will be entertaining. I dont understand those who are embarrassed by the corniness of the jokes since you know they are going to say them anyway.

And as many times as I have ridden JC, our last trip was the first time we rode it at night! It certainly adds something to the attraction! The skipper added a few things that she could only use when the sun goes down. So I suggest that you try that.
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

The jokes are bad!!!!

We are APs and ride it frequently, to the point where I have their script memorized...

I wish I could skip it as suggested by PP, but DD just love the ride.

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Midnightred
DIS Veteran

I love the nostalgia of the ride, but have been going on trips to DL since I was 5. DH however did not grow up with the Jungle Cruise and commented, "Gee, this ride would be great if those guys wouldn't talk so much". I guess I had kinda been thinking the same, but when he said that, I was more aware of it. However, I can't imagine it being any other way!

Midnightred
Midnightred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: