Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #3181
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

We had a great stay at the GCH last week. I had paid for a Woods/Courtyard view, and we were placed into room 3351 which was awesome. We had a nice filtered view of DCA and the entrance from the hotel into the park. We could see the fireworks very well, we were very pleased.

There was a daily pool party, with music and games, at the Fountain pool for "all ages", but generally only children participated. It seemed fairly popular. The pool party happened each day from 2-3 when we were there. I would guess it will go until Labor Day, or so. It was not listed on the activities sheet that I received, so I thought parents may want to know.
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #3182
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Are there any recent CL reviews for the GCH? We are returning to DL next summer and trying to decide whether to return to GCH (have stayed there 4 times and love it) or try DLH for a change. We would do CL either way. Had great CL experiences in the past but its been over 5 years and wonder if it's still as good.

Also, why don't the villas show up as an option online? We might want to stay in one as cash guests.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #3183
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
Are there any recent CL reviews for the GCH?
I have not noticed any significant changes from my first concierge visit in 2005.
Sodas are now in cans rather than bottles, and water bottles must be requested (rather than self-serve).
The Nespresso machine produces decent espresso (I believe these are in all 3 lounges).
Quote:
...why don't the villas show up as an option online? We might want to stay in one as cash guests.
My theory: The inventory of villas available for rental is too small and specialized to bother putting online. Suites also do not appear online.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #3184
disneyobsessed808
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
Does anyone know if we need to make a reservation if we would like to eat in the Napa Rose Lounge? We're thinking of stopping in for dinner/apps and/or dessert one evening, and we just weren't sure what to expect in terms of crowds, if reservations are accepted or needed, and if the lounge is as popular as the restaurant. We've never been to either Napa Rose or the lounge. Any answers appreciated!
You do not need reservations and the lounge doesn't accept reservations

Depending on the evening you go, it can be pretty popular, but I've only had to ever wait a few minutes. You can enjoy the entire menu in the lounge.

Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012 Check out my Nov 2012 Tokyo Trip Report
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder since 2007
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century)
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #3185
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl2790 View Post
...There was a daily pool party, with music and games, at the Fountain pool for "all ages", but generally only children participated. It seemed fairly popular. The pool party happened each day from 2-3 when we were there. I would guess it will go until Labor Day, or so. It was not listed on the activities sheet that I received, so I thought parents may want to know.
Disney Parks Blog:
Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests Enjoy More Fun in the Sun with Summer Pool Parties
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #3186
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Are there any recent CL reviews for the GCH? We are returning to DL next summer and trying to decide whether to return to GCH (have stayed there 4 times and love it) or try DLH for a change. We would do CL either way. Had great CL experiences in the past but its been over 5 years and wonder if it's still as good.

Also, why don't the villas show up as an option online? We might want to stay in one as cash guests.
The Villas book up so quickly that DVC members who don't own there often can't get in. I can't imagine that there would be any left for cash reservations.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #3187
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
The Villas book up so quickly that DVC members who don't own there often can't get in. I can't imagine that there would be any left for cash reservations.
Points used by a VGC owner outside of DVC (a cruise or non-DVC timeshare), allows Disney to accept cash reservation for villas. This only creates a small inventory for cash reservations, and prices will be high.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #3188
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Okay.....totally new!! We have been staying @ VGC as well as ALL the DLR hotels since 2009 (consistently for the last 2 yrs) and have NEVER seen these scheduled events except for the 2011 Pirates movie premiere!!
We were wondering why they don't do this like WDW resorts?
That should be so much fun for the kids!!
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #3189
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

On check out day, can you access the concierge lounge all day or only until you check out at 11am?
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #3190
Lexxiefern
We were blown away
It will be nice to compare the 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
I just checked the VGC grocery list and no..... sorry! Although if you really want fresh baked cookies you could order some groceries from Vons or if you have a car hit up a local grocery store nearby! Enjoy the villas!!
Thanks for checking! I ordered through Von's but since we switch rooms partway I didn't want to chance any refrigerated stuff. I will just have to find other things to snack on!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #3191
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all of your great tips, pics, and information in this thread. It's been really helpful in planning our stay at the GCH starting Monday!

I'm still wondering about all of these different view categories, though. We booked something called "premium view." Which is confusing, because we thought premium referred to being a higher floor and might mean theme park or DTD?

Also, for room requests: we usually request a room as far from the elevators as possible in WDW (quieter and rooms tend to be bigger), but I see that a lot of people request rooms near the elevators at the GCH. Is this to minimize a long walk, or is there something particularly horrible about the views or rooms at the ends of hallways? We don't mind a long walk, but if we have a theme park view, we'd rather not end up with a view of only trees.

Any help would be awesome and very much appreciated!
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

VBsHustla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #3192
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

I always request a quiet room, away from elevators at the GCH. We stayed there last week, and we were far enough, but not too far from elevators. Also, at the end of our hall, there was the exit leading down stairs. We used it a lot to go downstairs. It dropped us out right near White Water Snacks, and the pool.
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #3193
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always request a quiet room, away from elevators at the GCH. We stayed there last week, and we were far enough, but not too far from elevators. Also, at the end of our hall, there was the exit leading down stairs. We used it a lot to go downstairs. It dropped us out right near White Water Snacks, and the pool.
Nice! That sounds perfect!! Thanks so much.
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

VBsHustla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #3194
twinspirit
Mouseketeer

I'm torn on the view. What if we get a park view and my kids will just stare yearning to be in there on our non park days lol. I was also thinking it might help them shut down easier in the evening if its out of sight out of mind kind of thing. :D
twinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #3195
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had a great stay at the GCH last week. I had paid for a Woods/Courtyard view, and we were placed into room 3351 which was awesome. We had a nice filtered view of DCA and the entrance from the hotel into the park. We could see the fireworks very well, we were very pleased.

There was a daily pool party, with music and games, at the Fountain pool for "all ages", but generally only children participated. It seemed fairly popular. The pool party happened each day from 2-3 when we were there. I would guess it will go until Labor Day, or so. It was not listed on the activities sheet that I received, so I thought parents may want to know.
Thank you! We are going to GCH soon and when we stayed there a couple yrs ago we only visited the water slide pool - I had no idea there were more pools.
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: