Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
wishdreambelieve
Earning My Ears

Family Suite or Two Rooms?

We have six people with us, four adults, one teen, and one child. We are going to be staying off property in a condo for most of the trip but the first four nights we planned on staying at Art of Animation.

Should we get a family suite? I know there is two beds and a pull out couch. (Teen and child don't mind sharing a bed for a few nights, and the adults are two sets of married couples. So three beds would be fine).

OR would it be better to get two conjoining Little Mermaid rooms?

We won't be spending too much time in the room, as we plan on not getting back to the room until late. The main concern is which is going to have more space for getting ready in the mornings? Which would you recommend?
wishdreambelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
mum2four
DIS Veteran

We stayed in an AOA suite with 6 people, but it was DH and I with our four kids, so it worked out fine. However, given the make up of your party, I would probably opt for two rooms to give everyone a little more privacy if needed. I think it would be tight in one suite with 4 adults plus a teen and child.

Keep in mind, though, that if you go with two rooms, they will not guarantee connecting rooms. It's only a request. So, if it's very important for you all to be together, then you might want the suite instead.

Not sure if I helped you at all LOL!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
We stayed in an AOA suite with 6 people, but it was DH and I with our four kids, so it worked out fine. However, given the make up of your party, I would probably opt for two rooms to give everyone a little more privacy if needed. I think it would be tight in one suite with 4 adults plus a teen and child.

Keep in mind, though, that if you go with two rooms, they will not guarantee connecting rooms. It's only a request. So, if it's very important for you all to be together, then you might want the suite instead.

I agree! I would go with 2 separate rooms and hope that you can get as close to each other as possible if you can't get connecting or adjoining. Put a note in the reservation requesting what you want and althought its not guaranteed, they will try their best to accommodate!
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP,
2014-POP,

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four

Although I haven't stayed at either, I agree. Also, in 2 rooms, all the beds are equal (no arguing over who sleeps on a bed vs a pull out). 2 rooms is also less expensive, isn't?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
mickeygirl78
Mouseketeer

I would do two rooms, request they be connecting. Our group of 7 (five adults, two kids) always request connecting and while not guaranteed, we've always gotten them.

I priced out two rooms vs the suite at AOA when it looked like only 5 of us were going and two rooms was cheaper. Either way you get two bathrooms, so I think getting ready would have no impact.
mickeygirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Princess Vespa
Mouseketeer

I would also do the 2 rooms. We always travel where there are at least 7 of us and request connecting rooms. I have never had an issue with the request. I know its not gaurenteed, but they do a pretty good job with putting them together.
Princess Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
blue gatorade
Earning My Ears

Another vote for 2 rooms. We were all set on a family suite at ASMu last year until the CM told us it was cheaper to just book 2 rooms. We were so glad we followed her advice! We had 4 adults (mom, dad, 22 yo, 18 yo)... "kids" in one room, parents in the other. Connecting rooms weren't available when we checked in. but it wasn't a big deal. We got rooms 1 door apart.
blue gatorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I would do 2 rooms. Everyone will have an actual bed and I think it's cheaper to do 2 rooms.

We did a Suite at ASMU in June and while it was ok, I would have liked to have 2 rooms instead with 4 actual beds.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

With the age range of your party, I would get two rooms
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

I am going to vote two rooms as well! We have 5 adults going in December and we opted for two rooms since it was less expensive and gave us more space.
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I would do 2 rooms. Everyone will have an actual bed and I think it's cheaper to do 2 rooms.

We did a Suite at ASMU in June and while it was ok, I would have liked to have 2 rooms instead with 4 actual beds.
It depends. Usually a family suite is cheaper than two preferred rooms. Two standard rooms are usually cheaper than a family suite.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
rosiegmendez
Mouseketeer

2 rooms

We stayed in 2 connecting rooms at AoA. Was cheaper than the suite option. Just request connecting rooms when you reserve, and then call the front desk to confirm the connecting rooms again closer to your arrival date (I called 24 hours before).

The CM told me they move heaven and earth to prioritize families with young children, so they are likely to accomodate your request.

Enjoy!

2013 - AoA LM / POR WDW
2007 - 2009 Annual Passes to Disneyland
2006 - GC Disneyland
rosiegmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
stauncie
Mouseketeer

we have stayed a couple of times at AOA, and are going back in 83 days.

This trip will be 6 adults.
We were also waffling between 2 rooms or a suite, too.

Really the difference is:
2 reg. rooms = no microwave.
4 full size beds

family suite. microwave, but
only 3 beds
1 queen bed (in the bedroom)
and the other 2 beds-( sofa bed and pull down) are only full size and 'share' the common area.
stauncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
jcvalenti
Wine Snob

Trying to figure out these hassles is why our travel group usually just rents a house offsite. I'll stomach the 5 minute drive in in order to let everyone have their own room and save $250 a night.
Trip History: June 1983 - Treehouse Villas | June 1984 - Fort Wilderness | July 1992 - Euro Disneyland | June/July 2004, October 2004, June 2005, June/July 2008, June 2009, July 2011, June 2012 - Offsite (usually with a Huge Family Group) | Oct 2008, Oct 2011 - Dolphin (Epcot F & W) | Oct 2013 - Swan (Epcot F & W)
Next Trip: August 2014 - Offsite (with an even huger family group)
Favorite Restaurants: Jiko, Il Mulino, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Biergarten, Kouzzina
Favorite Disney "Stuff": Haunted Mansion, A 40th Bday Illuminations Cruise with a 1971 Chateau Haut Brion, Enjoying the Hospitality of Benito at Tutto Gusto, Watching the kids build their own list of favorites, Renting boats at the Polynesian, Seeing "Bo Duke" at Cali Grill during last F&W
jcvalenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
I agree! I would go with 2 separate rooms and hope that you can get as close to each other as possible if you can't get connecting or adjoining. Put a note in the reservation requesting what you want and althought its not guaranteed, they will try their best to accommodate!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: