Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Jenne03
Earning My Ears

Of course people make false claims or think they have been bitten by a bed bug and report it. That's why I like to read the reports. You will see someone say they were bit by a bed bug but not report it until a week later and then refuse any treatment. If they have made a report and describe what happened, normally you can kind of see whether the person is mistaken , making it up or really believes that it was bed bugs. Sometimes they include pictures of the bites. But I will say that if I see multiple reports ..that definitely raises suspicions and I would stay elsewhere.

I like when people report it because alot of times it gets the hotel manager's attention and they will say what happened on their end..I have seen that a lot on tripadvisor and bedbugregistry. I don't think it's useless at all.

Fyi: I just went on the bed bug registry and was looking at a Disney hotel's reports. Some that were reported were from a couple months ago and in the persons report they said that they were "confirmed cases". They took the person's luggage , moved them and also gave them some $$ from clothes. That seems right on par with what the OP was reporting. There was also a report that said housekeeping found some in a persons room and reported it(big applause for mousekeeping!!!). Don't think it's useless at all .

Honestly, I think its fine to be a little paranoid about it...just because of the nonsense that you will need to go through if you bring them home.

You can also go to any of these websites and see how to check for bed bugs. You have to check nooks and crannies, lift up the mattress, check the box spring, check the tags , look at the headboard, open up drawers,etc. I also heard to put your luggage either on the luggage rack or in the tub. Keeping everything in those giant ziploc bags has been said to be helpful too. I like using them anyway. I always pack my clothes in the bags and then in the suitcase. I pack an extra so I can put my dirty clothes in there and seal it up.

I was also told that if there is a concern, not to bring the bag into your home. Leave it in the garage for a bit. Take out the clothes and immediately wash them as hot as possible..

With all that being said, you can still get bed bugs and at some point just have to cross your fingers. I feel like if I check as well as I can using reviews and checking the room...then I have done all I can do.

Last edited by Jenne03; 08-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #32
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Thanks OP, no one should fault you for giving out this info. If someone wants to cancel their trip because of it, it is their right to do so. I was interested to see how WDW handles the problem, and from what you reported, they seemed to take it very seriously and appropriate action was taken. Hope your friends injuries improve. I can understand that WDW would not give you any $ for her ankles, since true medical attention was not needed, but I have heard other stories of WDW assisting when medical attention was needed and paying for it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelPel View Post
Rite Lite UGHBUG Bedbug Detector from Amazon.com. $9.24, well worth the $ if u ask me. Since these bugs cant be detected by naked eye, it helps in detection.
Thanks, found it. In cart. I get that someone said you don't need it, but if you travel a lot, that is a low price for peace of mind and ease of use. Even flashlights could be that price.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Bedbugs can happen at ANY resort. So there is no need to warn people to stay away from the Beach Club. That won't guarantee a bug free vacation.

It is nice to know Disney took immediate action.
Truer words were never spoken! Sux when it happens to us, or folks we know, but it is a cruel part of our trips sometimes! Sounds like the staff did all that could be asked, and then some. I'm rarely bothered as much by a problem, as I can be when they don't deal with it to my satisfaction. Kudos BC staff.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boski View Post
.... Do you check your seats at the movies??? ..............
Gee...Thanks Boski!...(I sure hope my son doesn't read that one!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #36
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFan88

Thanks, found it. In cart. I get that someone said you don't need it, but if you travel a lot, that is a low price for peace of mind and ease of use. Even flashlights could be that price.
While you are at it, I would like to sell you this.....you can see them without a flashlight or the miracle light someone suggested you buy. There is a sucker born every minute.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #37
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
While you are at it, I would like to sell you this.....you can see them without a flashlight or the miracle light someone suggested you buy. There is a sucker born every minute.
Thanks! When I saw this in my inbox, I didn't even have to see who wrote it!

How much?

2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
This is a public discussion board. It is my understanding that people are free to share their opinions and reviews. While you may not agree with all of them, a certain level of maturity and respect is common courtesy here. Please do not tell me " to get over it" again.

2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #39
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

We're done here.

With a reminder that shouldn't be needed. As long as a topic does not violate the DISboards guidelines, and is relevant to the discussion of Disney's resorts, it's an acceptable topic for these boards. Attacking a poster for simply relating an experience they had at a Disney resort, good or bad, is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

If you don't want to read about bedbugs, then close the thread and move on.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #40
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmel View Post
Thanks for the post, OP. I always stay YC or BC. I ALWAYS check for bed bugs, best as I can anyway and always Lysol down the phone, light switches, door knobs, etc. Maybe all for not but makes me FEEL better. I certainly appreciate the heads up and glad the resort is due for a remodel in January!

What I have found o these boards is some people take an observation/critique/report on their favorite hotel so personal, it is almost like you are attacking them? I have seen it time and time again and marvel at it really.

Thanks for the info
Remodeling the resorts doesn't lessen the chances for bed bugs. There were reports of bed bugs in the first couple months of AOA's existence. Guests bring bed bugs in.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: