Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I had zero interest in the movie and don't think it has the lasting power of Star Wars, say. But I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm just not all that excited about it.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Postal68
DIS Veteran

The idea of an Avatarland is completely unappealing and even annoying to a point for me. However, with Disney's recent track record with building new attractions, I'll be dead by the time this one comes online, so I guess it really should not bother me
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfan View Post
I agree. I think Avatar is so over-rated. Will not be visiting this section of the park as it has no interest to me what so ever. No one I know even liked the story. What a waste.
Exactly.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
kastoney
Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Seriously, Avatar? Didn't that movie come out like a decade ago? Hated the movie and have no interest in a single attraction let alone an entire land. Not sure what the disney connection is either.

If they want to do something with Avatar how about just replacing the aliens portion of the great movie ride? Even better replace stich with James Cameron in the great escape and take it back to alien encounter days. I find him just as creepy as the alien from back in the day : )

Last edited by kastoney; 08-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
kastoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I fell asleep watching the movie,as others have said the graphics were great but the movie was not,I however don't link movies with attractions at theme parks,I love Disney World but I don't sit at home watching Disney movies,there's a good amount of them I haven't even seen so as long as Disney builds a good land with good rides and attractions I wouldn't care if the movie was horrible.I hear Avatarland is going to have a slow boat ride and a Soarin style ride,nothing groundbreaking but could be good.If they decided to build Avatar because Universal nailed it with Potter,which have been the rumors since it was announced they're most likely going to flop if you compare what each park did with their movie.You have Universal building a huge castle with a truly groundbreaking type ride and for phase two building another land with more rides,restaurants and shopping in the original Universal park with a Hogwarts Express train ride connecting the lands at both parks??Disney is taking like a decade to build Avatar which unlike Potter does not appear to have even 1/100th of the fans Potter has while Universal pumps out the lands in 3 years.Avatarland is going to have to be good,really good!!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Well, to be honest I've been staunchly opposed to Avatarland since the day they announced it. The main reason wasn't really because it was an awful movie (it wasn't...just a bit contrived). It was because the movie was barely a flash in the pan. It doesn't have any following or super fans or any staying power...particularly when you stack it up against things like Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Lord of The Rings 9which I hear is being courted by Universal). Can anyone name any of the characters? The animals? The plants? The bad guys? Other than "unobtanium" can you name anything relevant to the movie? Cause I can't. Okay, maybe I remember the giant blue cat people were called Navi.

HOWEVER...and this kills me to admit...after watching the D23 Expo and seeing the Imagineering pavilion, I was pretty impressed with the level of detail they put into the small Avatar area they had set up. It was very interesting and at least gave me the hope that when they insist on going through with this (and they ARE going through with it) it will at least be impressive when it's done.

All that said, I still think it's stupid to waste all this money kissing James Cameron's butt when they could be doing spectacular things with Star Wars, Muppets and Pixar. Hopefully they won't ignore those properties. I regularly huff the pixie dust but between FP+ and Avatar, they've spent a great deal of money recently doing things I am not on board with...and I'm concerned.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
mejo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
So, you'll skip it even though you have no idea right now what the final attractions will be like? You can honestly say that just because you didn't like the movie?

Did you like the Space Mountain Movie? How about the flick that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was based on? And, I'm sure evryone that rides Rock N Rollercoaster is an Aerosmith fan. Let's not forget how much money Test Track made in the theaters.

I hope the Avatar attractions turn out to be the best attractions in all of WDW. Based on what I'm seeing here, crowds should be low, because everybody here already knows they are going to hate it.
Exactly!!!!! Finally a post that makes sense

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I've never been crazy about the Avatarland idea either. I've seen bits and pieces of the movie, but I've never seen it the whole way through and honestly have no desire to. I know the movie made a ton of money and the graphics were incredible, but I don't see it going down as a "classic" that people will enjoy for years to come. I certainly don't see it being the type of draw that Harry Potter is to Universal.

That said, if Disney builds this thing and I go to AK, I'm sure I'll check it out. It won't be one of the reasons I'm going, but I won't avoid the place either because of it.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Katherine View Post
I'm more excited about death than this recent development! If they go through with this I will never enter AK again. Ew.Katie
Wow you really must dislike Avatar to want to die rather than have to go to Avatarland?! Either it's that or you're like 12 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
So, you'll skip it even though you have no idea right now what the final attractions will be like? You can honestly say that just because you didn't like the movie?

Did you like the Space Mountain Movie? How about the flick that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was based on? And, I'm sure evryone that rides Rock N Rollercoaster is an Aerosmith fan. Let's not forget how much money Test Track made in the theaters.

I hope the Avatar attractions turn out to be the best attractions in all of WDW. Based on what I'm seeing here, crowds should be low, because everybody here already knows they are going to hate it.
No kidding! It's only largest box office movie of all time. Right around it's opening with be the second movie which will renew interest in it. I thought the movie was really good and I expect the next one to be the same. Plus I think any collaboration between Disney and James Cameron is likely to be a winner. So I'm with you Delirium, I hope this naysayers do stay away so crowds are low, but you know they won't.

p.s. Moderator this isn't a rumor or news!! Avatarland has been announced as a future project for the Theme Parks. There was no reason to move this thread!! You didn't move every FL thread after it's announcement did you?

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Last edited by Bullseye; 08-18-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

I just find it funny that people complain constantly that Disney won't build anything. Then they come up with something and just because it wasn't what they exactly wanted they continue to complain! How can Disney win?

I personally have not seen the movie. And I'll be honest I'm not totally crazy about the idea but I'm willing to give it a shot. At the very least it'll be some additional attractions to experience in a park that's been in grave need of some since opening day
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
thegib95
Mouseketeer

This is all a tad ridiculous, seriously, Disney can and will do it well, and with three more avatar projects on the way, there is huge tie in potential...

I have never even seen avatar, but will I go to avatar land, absolutely, if I don't like the attractions, or the scenery, or something in the section, maybe I wouldn't return, but I'd still go to AK...

To a previous poster that says you'll never set foot in AK again If they go through with it, why?
What do you go there for now? Them adding in to the park wouldn't change whatever you go there for now... Just don't go into that section of the parking you are that against it....

I say why not give it a shot.... I'm not a little mermaid fan but ill ride the new Voyage into the little mermaid this year.

Me DW DD (1.4.11)

Trips: 1982: Mom's Belly | 1992-CB | 1997-PO | 1998-BWV | Summer 1999-BWV | Christmas 1999- BWV | Summer 2001-BW | Summer 2002-YC | Spring 2005-BCV | March 2010- POFQ
September 2012 -- BCV |December 2013-AKL |September 2014-AKL

thegib95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegib95 View Post
This is all a tad ridiculous, seriously, Disney can and will do it well, and with three more avatar projects on the way, there is huge tie in potential...

I have never even seen avatar, but will I go to avatar land, absolutely, if I don't like the attractions, or the scenery, or something in the section, maybe I wouldn't return, but I'd still go to AK...

To a previous poster that says you'll never set foot in AK again If they go through with it, why?
What do you go there for now? Them adding in to the park wouldn't change whatever you go there for now... Just don't go into that section of the parking you are that against it....

I say why not give it a shot.... I'm not a little mermaid fan but ill ride the new Voyage into the little mermaid this year.
True, I may be a tad harsh. But I have strong dislike for Avatar and if I thinks it's I unnecessary why shouldn't I avoid it.

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
I had zero interest in the movie and don't think it has the lasting power of Star Wars, say. But I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm just not all that excited about it.
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Wow you really must dislike Avatar to want to die rather than have to go to Avatarland?! Either it's that or you're like 12 years old.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post

No kidding! It's only largest box office movie of all time. Right around it's opening with be the second movie which will renew interest in it. I thought the movie was really good and I expect the next one to be the same. Plus I think any collaboration between Disney and James Cameron is likely to be a winner. So I'm with you Delirium, I hope this naysayers do stay away so crowds are low, but you know they won't.

p.s. Moderator this isn't a rumor or news!! Avatarland has been announced as a future project for the Theme Parks. There was no reason to move this thread!! You didn't move every FL thread after it's announcement did you?
You got it! And I'm 13.

Surprised at how many don't get sarcasm.

Katie
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
mvk
Mouseketeer

People having such strong feelings about a land that they haven't even seen concept art for is really bizarre.

The land is going to just be visually based upon the movie, it's not like you're going to be forced to become an Avatar and join the Navi. The visuals of the movie were fantastic, the land will be as well.

Please go watch Song of the South before you ride Splash Mountain the next time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: