Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #1006
Celestine
DIS Veteran
 
Celestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 1,605

We did everything but Naples without using Disney. Transfer from airport to Barcelona was simple, although less so if you have heavy bags, and at 9.80 euro was a bargain for the 4 of us (especially with 6 more trips still to use on the T10 card).

Villefranche - train to Monaco was easy. Wandered around & caught the little train - waited about 30 mins because of the queue but was a great way to see almost everything

La Spezia - a 30 minute walk to the station and a train to Pisa romma??? (not central) a 5 minute walk and we were at the field of miracles. Climbed the tower (prebooked 21 days out). Just remember to validate your train ticket before boarding as saw lots of families getting a 5 euro /person fine.

Rome - we used cruising excursions.com and it was perfect for us as it was an unguided guided tour!

Naples - did the scavenger hunt at Herculaneum through DCL - waste of money. Guide was good, but not for kids who were expecting (as was I) to go looking for things/info. etc. Wish we had just hopped in a cab and DIY'd

Venice - went to Murano first day on the boat from the port - big mistake as it took forever and was the only way of getting back & there was only 2 an hour. Now we know where the railway station is I would use the proper water buses.
On the second day got up and out. Again took boat from port to St Marks Square as we walked back which was the best way to see many of the sights, including a trip to McDonalds for the free restrooms.

Dubrovnik - caught the shuttle bus and then climbed the city walls and wandered around the old town. Beautiful. Also used the supermarket at the port to stock up on diet coke as the ship had run dry!

Valletta - caught the lift up (1 euro return). Watched the cannon firing at noon then walked through the streets and slowly made our way back to the ship. Lots of horse drawn cabs trying for business. Advertised price was 60/hour but by the time we had walked through town it was being offered for 25!

Celestine
__________________

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #1007
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyNurse19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 190

Celestine, how did you get the lift? It wasn't working when we walked by

We did all our excursions through DCL and i can;t complain about any of them
__________________
DisneyNurse19 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #1008
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran
 
Stinkerbell1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northwest GA
Posts: 613

Wow!!

You guys have no idea how helpful this thread is for those of us that have Med cruises booked for next year!! My family is on the May 31 seven nighter and while thumbing through this thread is a little overwhelming (sooo much information), that's a good problem to have!! So excited to scrub it a little closer and make some plans.
Thanks to ALL of you for putting so much time and energy into the thread and helping the rest of us out.
__________________
Me (41) DH (40) DD (10)

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13, Sept 14 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Girl's Weekend! - Yacht Club, Nov 2014
Getting in the Christmas Spirit! - Boardwalk Inn, Dec 14
Reunion with friends from UK we met on our Med cruise - Apr 15
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #1009
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer
 
texasgirl29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 253

We just got off the 7-night Magic (August 10-17) and will do a thorough trip report when I get home. But here's the very short version:
Barcelona: Runner Bean tour of the old city, pay what you wish. Great tour, we paid 20 euros each. Used HOHO bus to get an overview of the city.
Villefranche: private tour for seven with Ingrid of Kultours, independent licensed guide. Drove us around all day in her van, saw Eze, old town Nice, and St. Paul de Vence medieval town. Very accommodating, very reasonable. Speaks French, English, German and Italian.
La Spezia: DIY, walked to train station (about a mile) took train to Pisa, walked to Field of Miracles. Didn't have tickets to go inside and too hot to wait in line anyway.
Citivecchia: used Cant Be Missed Tours. Prepaid via PayPal, tour operator was waiting for us with tickets for transportation and colosseum. Had radio devices to hear the guide. Fast paced, lots of walking. Used train, metro and city busses. The guide, Stefan, also does Disney Port Adventure Tours so we felt like we were getting a good bargain. Knowledgeable and no stress figuring out where to go.
Naples: Again used CBM tours. Had two small busses with drivers and guides. Our guide was Guido. Drive to Sorrento and Postiano was beautiful. Very knowledgable about Pompeii. It was a big holiday for Italy but the guides and driver kept us out of traffic and delivered us back to the ship on time.

I would definitely use Runner Bean, Ingrid, and CBM again.
__________________
Star Princess April 1997 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2005 - Mexican Riviera
Island Princess December 2009 - Panama Canal
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1010
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyNurse19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell1973 View Post
You guys have no idea how helpful this thread is for those of us that have Med cruises booked for next year!! My family is on the May 31 seven nighter and while thumbing through this thread is a little overwhelming (sooo much information), that's a good problem to have!! So excited to scrub it a little closer and make some plans.
Thanks to ALL of you for putting so much time and energy into the thread and helping the rest of us out.
I am on that cruise as well, see you there
__________________
DisneyNurse19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1011
Celestine
DIS Veteran
 
Celestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 1,605

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNurse19 View Post
Celestine, how did you get the lift? It wasn't working when we walked by

We did all our excursions through DCL and i can;t complain about any of them
It started working at about 11.45am. It was supposed to have been shut all day due to electrical works but they finished ahead of schedule!

Celestine
__________________

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1012
cforsythe
Mouseketeer
 
cforsythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
We enjoyed most of the tours we booked through DCL, some more than others. The ones in Athens & Rome were two of the best. Our tour guides for both were outstanding. The one we had for Delos Island was the only disappointing one. The tour guide was terrible, gave very confusing directions at the end and lost the whole group when it was time to meet up after free time. Fortunately, we ran into the same tour guide we had from our Athens trip who remembered us and "adopted" us She was amazing! Loved her!
Which tour did you all do in Rome?
__________________
SSR Grand Villa 12/19-12/24/07
PC 08/28-09/02/06,POR 06/02/06-06/10/06
Offsite April 2005
Cruising Western 08/28/04-09/04/04
cforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #1013
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
We did everything but Naples without using Disney. Transfer from airport to Barcelona was simple, although less so if you have heavy bags, and at 9.80 euro was a bargain for the 4 of us (especially with 6 more trips still to use on the T10 card).

Villefranche - train to Monaco was easy. Wandered around & caught the little train - waited about 30 mins because of the queue but was a great way to see almost everything

La Spezia - a 30 minute walk to the station and a train to Pisa romma??? (not central) a 5 minute walk and we were at the field of miracles. Climbed the tower (prebooked 21 days out). Just remember to validate your train ticket before boarding as saw lots of families getting a 5 euro /person fine.

Rome - we used cruising excursions.com and it was perfect for us as it was an unguided guided tour!

Naples - did the scavenger hunt at Herculaneum through DCL - waste of money. Guide was good, but not for kids who were expecting (as was I) to go looking for things/info. etc. Wish we had just hopped in a cab and DIY'd

Venice - went to Murano first day on the boat from the port - big mistake as it took forever and was the only way of getting back & there was only 2 an hour. Now we know where the railway station is I would use the proper water buses.
On the second day got up and out. Again took boat from port to St Marks Square as we walked back which was the best way to see many of the sights, including a trip to McDonalds for the free restrooms.

Dubrovnik - caught the shuttle bus and then climbed the city walls and wandered around the old town. Beautiful. Also used the supermarket at the port to stock up on diet coke as the ship had run dry!

Valletta - caught the lift up (1 euro return). Watched the cannon firing at noon then walked through the streets and slowly made our way back to the ship. Lots of horse drawn cabs trying for business. Advertised price was 60/hour but by the time we had walked through town it was being offered for 25!

Celestine
Thanks Celestine!

I added a link to your post re DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
We just got off the 7-night Magic (August 10-17) and will do a thorough trip report when I get home. But here's the very short version:
Barcelona: Runner Bean tour of the old city, pay what you wish. Great tour, we paid 20 euros each. Used HOHO bus to get an overview of the city.
Villefranche: private tour for seven with Ingrid of Kultours, independent licensed guide. Drove us around all day in her van, saw Eze, old town Nice, and St. Paul de Vence medieval town. Very accommodating, very reasonable. Speaks French, English, German and Italian.
La Spezia: DIY, walked to train station (about a mile) took train to Pisa, walked to Field of Miracles. Didn't have tickets to go inside and too hot to wait in line anyway.
Citivecchia: used Cant Be Missed Tours. Prepaid via PayPal, tour operator was waiting for us with tickets for transportation and colosseum. Had radio devices to hear the guide. Fast paced, lots of walking. Used train, metro and city busses. The guide, Stefan, also does Disney Port Adventure Tours so we felt like we were getting a good bargain. Knowledgeable and no stress figuring out where to go.
Naples: Again used CBM tours. Had two small busses with drivers and guides. Our guide was Guido. Drive to Sorrento and Postiano was beautiful. Very knowledgable about Pompeii. It was a big holiday for Italy but the guides and driver kept us out of traffic and delivered us back to the ship on time.

I would definitely use Runner Bean, Ingrid, and CBM again.
Great endorsements! I was wondering about Runner Bean

I will add your recommended companies to the 1st page. Is there a website for Ingrid?

Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1014
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's
 
bats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Hi Bats!

Welcome back! How exciting -- I didn't know you were doing a B2B! Sounds amazing... hope you do a trip report!

I added the 2 companies you recommended. I can't believe I forgot about Suntransfers. We used them also and their prices were amazing.

Too bad I hadn't heard about Your tour in Italy prior to our trip. One of our excursions didn't go that well. We will try them out next time for Naples/Sorrento.

Anyways....feel free to add more tips and I'll compile them for the 1st page.
It was our first B2B and we loved it!!
When you email them, please tell them you were recommended by me (Joa) ... No commission for me, but you may be able to tweak your own itinerary more if they know you've been recommended. Our driver for Naples was a lovely man called Carmine. He was very proud of his home town and told us loads of details as we drove past churches, bays, beaches and magnificent views on our way to the old town area.

Sorry your tour didn't go well.
Joa
__________________
Bats
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1015
liberty6201
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 253

Celestine

We are booked on the Herculaneum tour. Why was it disappointing? We are expecting to hunt for things, what was the scavenger hunt left if you didnt go looking for things?
Thank you. We go on Saturday
liberty6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #1016
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's
 
bats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNurse19 View Post

I am on that cruise as well, see you there
Us too!!! See you on board!
__________________
Bats
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1017
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer
 
texasgirl29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 253

Ingrid's website is http://www.kultours.fr/index.html
__________________
Star Princess April 1997 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2005 - Mexican Riviera
Island Princess December 2009 - Panama Canal
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #1018
Celestine
DIS Veteran
 
Celestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 1,605

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty6201 View Post
Celestine

We are booked on the Herculaneum tour. Why was it disappointing? We are expecting to hunt for things, what was the scavenger hunt left if you didnt go looking for things?
Thank you. We go on Saturday
It was an incredibly knowledgable man talking at us for the whole time - no scavengering at all. It was only half way through I realised I was supposed to have answering questions. Needless to say we only got 4 out of 10! Girls (8 & 13) were bored. Guide seemed to suggest it was too hot to send kids off looking for things, and it was hot & humid, but I think we would have been better off DIY

Celestine
__________________

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #1019
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
Also used the supermarket at the port to stock up on diet coke as the ship had run dry!
oh yikes - did they restock before the end of the trip?
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1020
heatherbelle
DIS Veteran
 
heatherbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,298

I've just booked marked this thread for future years, thanks for putting it all in one place.

Sadly I didn't make it on the Mickey boat this year, but I did cruise the Med with Carnival, on the beautiful Sunshine, at 1/3 of the DCL price.

We do all of our own trips, so hopefully this will help those who like to do that.

Venice, take the people move and start walking and exploring. There are signs on the buildings that point to Rialto Bridge, St.Marks and the Accademia Bridge. We caught the boat back, but it was very hot and packed to the gills. Next time I would do it the other way, boat out walk back. If there is a large group of you a water taxi will be a good option, as you can share the cost.



Dubrovnik one of my favourite places. There is a sign up at the port with the prices of taxis. We took the Panaroma tour which cost 50¬. Our axi driver who was fab and spoke really good English, drove us over the new bridge, pointed out a map with all the places we would stop for photos. Explained about the old and new town etc. we made a couple of photo stops and then he took us to the top of the cable car, where he explained about the war and showed us photos of the bombings and holes in the wall. He took photos of us up there and then dropped us at the gate. The tour lasted 1 hour. A taxi to the gate was ¬20 and the port were running a shuttle which I think was ¬8 each. I pre purchased our wall tickets before we left, so no standing in line. Make sure you have the local currency before you go up the wall for drinks and ice creams.

Athens. Walked out of the port passed the HOHO buses and and negotiated a tour with a taxi driver for ¬60 for 4 hour tour. Taken to the ruins, museum, temple of Zeus, changing of the guard, the Olympic stadium and shopping in the Plaka for an hour. His English was not that great, but the price was. I had left DS on the ship and didn't want to be too long. We did intend on getting the metro and then riding the road train, but because DS was on the boat, I felt better getting the taxi tour.

Naples - Caught the hydrofoil to Sorrento at 9.00, left the boat at 8.00 in case of queues, there were none this time. We caught the 2.00 hydrofoil back. You can also get tickets to the Amalfi coast, which I learnt from one of my new cruise buddies, so next time we will do that. We rode on the road train to help get our bearings and I think this was 6¬ for adults.

Izmir Turkey, they wanted 20¬ to take us to the Bazaar, so I kept walking and haggling with different drivers in the end I got one for ¬5, so try the haggling.

Rome, we just looked around the port, nice local beach. There was a HOHO bus that goes Taraquina, but it was too hot to bother with this. We have been to Rome before on the train and then used the HOho bus and metro. No desire to go here in a hurry again.

Livorno DCL dock at La Spezia. After Dubrovnik, this was my favourite. We took the train to Lucca, hired bikes for 3¬ per hour each and rode around the castle walls. On the way back we got off at Pisa Rosse, 5 minute walk to the tower. We walked to Pisa Centrale for the return journey. If I was to do it gain, I would catch the train at Pisa Rosse and then change at Pisa Central. Lots of lovely pastry shops in Lucca, a charming place.

We also had the ports of Marseilles, Barcelona and Messina, which we did on our own too.

All together we spent £600 on food off the ship and local transport for those who are travelling on a tight budget it can be done.
__________________
2005 - WDW -Off site LBV, 2006 WDW Regal Palms, 2007 - WDW Regal Palms, 2008 - Disney Old Key West, 2009 - Disneyland LA/SD, 2010 Yacht Club, 2011 Med Disney Cruise. 2012 Yacht Club again! 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med, 2014- Carnival Breeze & Yacht Club .

Last edited by heatherbelle; 08-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: