Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Bedbugs can happen at ANY resort. So there is no need to warn people to stay away from the Beach Club.
I don't think the OP was warning people to stay away from the BC. It was just a reminder to be vigilant and aware, which I appreciate. Thanks OP
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
cassie
I did run free in the 70's
Connecticut Yankee
desperately wants to be like the others

I've never known Disney had dogs to sniff out bed bugs and spiders. It's been almost 2 years since I've been there, so maybe things have changed.
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't care that much about bedbugs if they weren't the sort of bug to bring an infestation... a very expensive, time-consuming, infestation.

I don't mind being called paranoid. It's better than having a bedbug infestation in my home. I do the check and take additional precautions (has to do with x-large and xx large Ziplocs, etc.

I just got back from the world but if I was on my way in I would greatly appreciate a head's up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that.

Thanks, OP!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
Jenne03
Earning My Ears

Omg that is my nightmare!! I would freak out. I always check too and pray that it doesn't happen. They are like lice to me....incredibly hard to get rid of...Have no clue why anyone should "get over it". You can bring tem home and infest your house.

I always check bed bug registry , reviews and raveable. I have not stayed at hotels with reports. That isn't to say that other hotels without reports don't have them....but it makes me feel better since it is completely out of my control.

Three years ago I chose the poly over Por because Por had bed bug reports. Last year I saw poly had a report. With disney having as many guests as they do ...its inevitable.

I appreciate knowing so I can make an informed decision and is a reminder to be vigilant.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne03 View Post

I appreciate knowing so I can make an informed decision and is a reminder to be vigilant.
The problem is that the OP's friend was vigilant! They checked the bed before they used the room. Not sure what else we all can do to protect ourselves, if you can't even see some of the bugs because they are so small.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
MelPel
Earning My Ears

As far as a I know, Disney did not offer any medical attention or offer to pay medical expenses. Her ankles were badly bitten/bloody so I find It surprising they they didnt offer or take care of the problem. I will talk to her again today and make sure this info is correct.

Can you tell me more about the bed bug registry? I had no idea there was one.

I found a travel light/detector from amazon for bed bug it costs $9. worth getting if u ask me.

The dogs that were used at Beach Club were beagles.
Feb 1973 DisneyLand offsite,Apr 1975 WDW offsite,July 1980 WDW offsite,Aug 1983 WDW offsite, Feb 1989 WDW offsite, Oct 1990 WDW offsite, Oct 1995 WDW offsite, Oct 1998 WDW Contemporary, Feb 2000 WDW Dixie Landings, Oct 2000 WDW Contemporary,June 2001 DisneyLand Hotel Apr 2002 WDW Polynesian, June 2003 WDW Boardwalk Villas, Dec 2003 DisneyLand offsite, Oct 2005 WDW Boardwalk Villas, Apr 2006 WDW Contemporary, June - July 2007 WDW Villas at Fort Wilderness,Oct 2007 WDW All Star Sports, May 2008 WDW OKW, Sep 2008 WDW OKW, Dec 2009 WDW Bay Lake Tower OKW, Jun 2011 DL GCV, Aug 2011 DCL, (Dream Ship) & BLT, Jun 2012 DCL (Magic ship), Oct 2012 AKV (Kidani), Jan 2013 DCL (Dream ship) SS Member Only Cruise , June 2013 DL GCV, Aug 2013 D23 EXPO DL...
** Oct 2013 AKV (Kidani)** ,
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelPel View Post
I found a travel light/detector from amazon for bed bug it costs $9. worth getting if u ask me.
Can you provide the name of it so I can search for it? I got just the strips when I tried.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Wow! I was traveling this summer staying in 5 different hotels throughout Florida, ending in the World. It was definitely on my mind, and I checked as best I could. The light sounds good.

Keep us posted on any follow up. How traumatic for her and her family! I am glad to hear Disney was quick to take action.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
MelPel
Earning My Ears

light info/brand

Rite Lite UGHBUG Bedbug Detector from Amazon.com. $9.24, well worth the $ if u ask me. Since these bugs cant be detected by naked eye, it helps in detection.
Feb 1973 DisneyLand offsite,Apr 1975 WDW offsite,July 1980 WDW offsite,Aug 1983 WDW offsite, Feb 1989 WDW offsite, Oct 1990 WDW offsite, Oct 1995 WDW offsite, Oct 1998 WDW Contemporary, Feb 2000 WDW Dixie Landings, Oct 2000 WDW Contemporary,June 2001 DisneyLand Hotel Apr 2002 WDW Polynesian, June 2003 WDW Boardwalk Villas, Dec 2003 DisneyLand offsite, Oct 2005 WDW Boardwalk Villas, Apr 2006 WDW Contemporary, June - July 2007 WDW Villas at Fort Wilderness,Oct 2007 WDW All Star Sports, May 2008 WDW OKW, Sep 2008 WDW OKW, Dec 2009 WDW Bay Lake Tower OKW, Jun 2011 DL GCV, Aug 2011 DCL, (Dream Ship) & BLT, Jun 2012 DCL (Magic ship), Oct 2012 AKV (Kidani), Jan 2013 DCL (Dream ship) SS Member Only Cruise , June 2013 DL GCV, Aug 2013 D23 EXPO DL...
** Oct 2013 AKV (Kidani)** ,
Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
GadgetTheInventor
Mouseketeer

I appreciate the OP's post because I find it helpful to know how the situation was handled by WDW staff. Bedbugs are an unavoidable part of life these days and if I am making a reservation at a hotel, I would like to know previous visitors' experiences with a relatively common problem.

There's no need to refrain from posting a factual experience just because some people are going to flip out.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

I found one of these in my hotel room once.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Thanks for the post, OP. I always stay YC or BC. I ALWAYS check for bed bugs, best as I can anyway and always Lysol down the phone, light switches, door knobs, etc. Maybe all for not but makes me FEEL better. I certainly appreciate the heads up and glad the resort is due for a remodel in January!

What I have found o these boards is some people take an observation/critique/report on their favorite hotel so personal, it is almost like you are attacking them? I have seen it time and time again and marvel at it really.

Thanks for the info

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Boski
Mouseketeer

As someone who works in the furniture industry I am all to familiar with Bed Bugs and feel like I should just chime in a bit here. You can see bed bugs with your naked eye. You can also see their droppings. Yes they are small and a light definitely helps but you do not need to go out and purchase a special "bed bug light". They are simply trying to make money on the paranoia. We provide our service tech with special lights but these lights are used more for detecting bodily fluids (yes I know gross) than bed bugs. I would recommend using a nice high powered LED type, I actually find the flash light app on my phone works very well for doing checks.

Dogs, like all living things doing a job, can be wrong. They do occasionally give off false positives and the only 100% way to confirm bed buys other than visually seeing them is with a DNA check (Just like in CSI!).

The only way to eliminate an infestation is with a heat treatment (which is why your friends could not take their luggage, I imagined they were left in the room during the treatment). They bring in heaters, fans, and sensors and heat the room up for several hours. We have a heater room in our warehouse where we process any merchandise brought back from a customers home. The room heats up to 150 degrees for several hours. We place the sensors deep in the furniture to make sure the core temperature gets up that high. After it comes out we spray it with a chemical. The reason why we do heat and chemical treatment is we find that unless every inch of the furniture is sprayed, including the inside we may miss them. This is why chemical treatments aren't used to treat house or hotel infestations, you can easily miss them. We simply double up because we want to make sure we kill them.

The other thing to keep in mind is you can pick bed bugs up anywhere. They don't just live in beds. You can pick them up from couches, cars, planes, any public space. I've seen them on a entertainment center that came out of someones living room. Do you check your seats at the movies??? There are so many cases of bed bugs at the theaters, yet nobody really gets scared because they hear "bed" bugs and assume they only live in beds. Truth is you can pick them up anywhere.
2012(August): Beach Club
2013(Sept): Beach Club
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
kandb
DIS Veteran

Work for the health dept and deal with this on occasion. Do not leave your luggage on the floor of the room. Bed bugs crawl on the ground, up the legs of the bed, looking for their "blood meal", which is you. We had an outbreak at a very expensive assisted living facility and the exterminator thought they were eradicated until a comforter was brought to a dry cleaner and it was filled with bed bugs. It was also in the gentleman's curtains and behind his picture frame. Bed bugs make hard castings where they live on furniture. I am not as scarred to getting them in the hotel as I am to bringing them home with me. They are very hard to treat and very costly.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelPel View Post
As far as a I know, Disney did not offer any medical attention or offer to pay medical expenses. Her ankles were badly bitten/bloody so I find It surprising they they didnt offer or take care of the problem. I will talk to her again today and make sure this info is correct.

Can you tell me more about the bed bug registry? I had no idea there was one.

The dogs that were used at Beach Club were beagles.
The Bed Bug Registry is useless. Anyone can post on it with no proof that there were any bed bugs. There are other conditions that can look like bites (at least to people who don't know better). You can also have people who have an issue with a hotel that will post falsely that there were bed bugs to "get back" at the hotel for a perceived slight. Any reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

Being careful is good. Being paranoid is bad. There is no way to be 100% sure that you will not come across bed bugs at some point in your life. It is not just an issue that hotels have had to deal with. Stores, movie theaters, and flights have also had issues. All you need to someone with bed bugs in their baggage on the plane to have a risk. It is simply not worth the time and energy to freak out too much about it.

And dogs (especially beagles) are used quite often for bed bug detection. It is good that Disney does everything in their power to limit infestations and to help guests who may have an issue. If you do get bites, REPORT IT asap so it can be taken care of. Also, get some witch hazel for the itching. Works wonders (had a friend who had a bed bug issue in the past that couldn't figure out the initial cause).

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: