Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappymel View Post
My daughter (almost 9) generally doesn't finish the kids meals. They are pretty typically sized in my opinion. If a fast food kids meal is enough, disney's will be enough too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

I changed Alison's age when she was 8 because she has always eaten what we are eating and wouldn't have been happy with the kids' choices for 2 weeks. I was really glad that we did - she had a lot of fun ordering foods we don't typically make at home. I kept my eyes on the foods on kids plates that week. Some were decent portions, but others were remarkable small. The size of the kid's pizza is much too small for a normal 8 year old.

We actually did get her the kids' dining plan on a shorter trip, but we promised her up front that if she couldn't find a good choice on the kids' menu, we would pay OOP for something else. We knew she would want escargot and soup at Les Chefs, if nothing else, and we had more TS meals booked than we had credits for, so we knew we would be able to use those credits eventually.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
The CS kids meals are small. Very small. Here is a link to a picture of one so you can get an idea. It is the last picture.

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=81
This meal is missing a side Kids meals come with two sides not one.
They may have asked for the cookie instead of one of the sides. If they were on the DP you get the cookie plus one other side.
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

That nugget meal would be exactly what you would get if you ordered a kids cs nugget meal with grapes and cookie as your sides (after you open the packages the grapes and cookies are in). If you order fries, you get about 10. The cs pizza is the size of a dvd, hamburger is standard McDonalds kids meal size and of course a hot dog is a hot dog, if you order the salad w/ chicken or mac n cheese, they are extremely small portions. They have not been enough food for my kids for years. 4 years ago (2 trips) we started splitting adult meals with dd9 and ds12 ordered his own adult meals.

The ts meals are more filling for the most part and dd9 always has enough to eat. Ds12 has always been picky and would almost always order pizza, which wasn't enough.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
RatherBeInAK
Mouseketeer

I apologize, I hope I didn't insult anyone with the "high calorie sugary snacks" comment. That was certainly not my attention. And thank you for your suggestions, Robinb. I have already made a list of the non-sugary snack options and their location in the parks. I think we'll probably just stick to the child's dining plan (since we'll have free dining) and bring in extra food to supplement.
RatherBeInAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
DCDisney
On my way...

The WDW kids meals are much smaller than what you would find at a typical fast casual chain restuarant. The serving size of protein is very small--4 nuggets, 1 chicken leg, etc. We don't do a lot of sugar and my kids would have milk at meals since they were having desserts and snacks but as they got to the higher end of kid range it wasn't enough food for the amount of activity they do each day--no stroller and average size kids. I knew this going in and planned accordingly. We'd use the kids CS credits for breakfast which was nice and then pay OOP for an adult meal for them to share. Half an adult meal was usually way more food and way better options. At TS mostly dinners depending on how late it was, snacks, etc if we felt like they would be hungry we'd order them a soup or salad OOP. It wasn't that much money over the course of the trip but we really only did DDP if it was free once the kids meals weren't meeting our needs.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
katilac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDisney View Post
The WDW kids meals are much smaller than what you would find at a typical fast casual chain restuarant. The serving size of protein is very small--4 nuggets, 1 chicken leg, etc. <snip>
Actually, wouldn't they be almost exactly the same? 4 nuggets, 2 sides, 1 drink is the standard at all of the big chains (fries & fruit are the sides). At chicken places, it's generally 1 chicken leg, 1 side, 1 drink.

It may not be enough for certain kids, but it's a typical kids' meal, not a small one. At any of the places, Disney or otherwise, you pay to upgrade, either the meal itself or by adding a side, etc.

A kid's meal at Disney averages about $5. Our local McD's have their kid's meal at about $3. However, prices are much higher in the heart of the city or near a popular attraction, so I consider the Disney prices to be just as typical as their serving sizes.

When we first went to Disney as a family, I was actually surprised that the food prices were pretty reasonable for a theme park, and that there were so many meals that would feed 2 either on their own, or by adding a side dish.
katilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Becca0711
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
Depends on many factors, IMO.

We have never had an issue with portions on the regular dining plan, and we've always had at least 1 child on the kids plan when we've gone. The reason is this - We rarely have soda AND a dessert with meals at home (at least not every meal of the day) - so even if the meal is on the small side (3 chicken strips and fries)...The extra calories from the soda I USUALLY let them get on vacation (sometimes it's milk) AND the dessert (chocolate cake) - make it plenty for a single meal. For the rare times when it hasn't been enough - we have snack credits and can always pick up a mickey ice cream bar an hour later if the tummy wasn't full enough at the meal.

We also share a lot of our meals...so between the adult portions (in some cases HUGE) and the kids - we all eat plenty between all of us.

For TS places - book all buffets if you're concerned about it - adults and kids can eat as much as they want of everything there. This is another reason we don't usually bat an eye at a small portion at the CS meal for that day - Oftentimes we know we're going to be eating a TON at the buffet meal later in the day so honestly we don't want to be 100% full at lunchtime.

And unless it was a very difficult guest, that I'm assuming YOU don't want to be - I doubt they upgraded for free. The rules for the dining plan are spelled out all over the place and you have no obligation to buy it, if, for example, you think the kids meal sizes will be too small for your family. Also - you are always welcome to upgrade your child to adult for a fee. If the kids plan doesn't work for you I wouldn't complain or even want to get it for free - either don't get it at all or pay for the adult plan.
So, it's an option to upgrade to an adult meal plan? (We took advantage of the free DDP for our trip in early September.) Our kids are all very small for their ages but they are good little eaters! A Happy Meal is definitely not enough food for my 44-lb seven year old. (Similarly, he, his 6-year-old sister & 5-year-old brother can easily eat two--and sometimes three!--Uncrustables with fruit & chips when we pack those for the zoo.)

We don't let them eat chicken nuggets and none of them care for French fries, so they'll always choose the fruit/applesauce option when available. They'll drink milk at least two meals a day so that will fill them up a little but we also have a 2-year-old who will be sharing meals with all of us too. (We ARE doing character meals every day so we'll be able to fill them up at the buffets.)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks so much!
xo,
Becca
Becca0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca0711 View Post
So, it's an option to upgrade to an adult meal plan?
Yes. You need to list your children as "Disney Adults" 10 and older. If you are there for Free Dining, then you have to pay the difference between a child's ticket and an adult ticket. If you are upgrading from the free QSDP to the DDP or the free DDP to the DxDDP you need to pay the additional adult upcharge for the kids you are upgrading to "Disney Adult". If you are not there for FD, you have to pay the difference in the ticket price plus the difference in the cost of the dining plan from child to adult.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

Definitely depends on the child. Our DS9 has gotten to where kids' meals no longer satisfy him. At McDs, we HAVE to order him the Mighty Kids meals. I thought it might be nice to take advantage of the DDP one last time before he turns 10 but after discussing with my DH, we may just do TiW this time. At least with TiW, he's not stuck with ordering from the kids menu unless he wants to. We've also considered upping him to 10 and paying as an adult but I really don't want to do that either.

On the other hand, DS5 doesn't usually finish his kids meals so maybe DS9 can just polish off DS5's meals.

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

This might be a stupid question, but will server understand that my 6 y/o is able to order from the adult menu, and if he likes something on the kids menu can he order from it if he is being considered an adult? I know he will be changed in computer to a 10 y/o, but he definitely doesn't look 10. I just don't want it to be a problem everything we go in a restaurant.
Thanks in advance. Tina
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysmom74 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but will server understand that my 6 y/o is able to order from the adult menu, and if he likes something on the kids menu can he order from it if he is being considered an adult? I know he will be changed in computer to a 10 y/o, but he definitely doesn't look 10. I just don't want it to be a problem everything we go in a restaurant.
Thanks in advance. Tina
It will show on your KTTW that there are X amount of adults (including your 6yr old). They will understand that he has adult credits
Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
It will show on your KTTW that there are X amount of adults (including your 6yr old). They will understand that he has adult credits
thanks
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysmom74 View Post
Thanks in advance. Tina
We have upgraded our children who are now 8,8,11 when they was 6,6,8!

At nearly every TS place the server said that they thought there was a mistake on our cards we would then explain that we had upgraded the kids to the plan and they was fine with it,

We are from the UK and I had to call 2/3 times for them to change the ages I got told they could do it on all occasions,I then left it a few days called up and said that I had been going through our reservation and noticed they had the kids ages down wrong and that they was on the wrong ddp!
I got them changed and all was fine

This trip I've booked through dreams unlimited and it was very easy to change the ages,

You will get asked at the restaurants if you realise your child is down as an adult but just say yes you do, and all will be fine.

My kids can not stand those kids nuggets an I refuse to let them have them while I end up with the decent ones lol

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
Secretselkie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

If you are in the UK, there are usually reports that UK guests are not permitted to change their child's age on their reservation.

This is true if you are booking Disney as part of a package from the UK, but if you book your flights and Disney separately then you can easier change your child's age ... we did this with one of my DD's in Feb this year
Secretselkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: