Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #2431
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
So I just read the update on his FB page...my interpretation is that starting in September, its the beach in front of Tahiti, Sunset Pointe, and part of a nearby parking lot that will be closed. And views in Hawaii, Tokelau, Rapa Nui and Tahiti may be affected - apparently Disney is changing some of room designations accordingly. It seems like mainly the lagoon-facing views would be affected at that point, based on the other information??

It did say that GCH, pools, restaurants, etc... would all be open and unaffected for the time being.

Steve, if you see this, does this sound right??
Yes that is how I interpret but something missing from that posting from the travel site that I was told about was that some rooms will be taken out of inventory because of this construction. To me I would think that would at a minimum be the ground floor lagoon side rooms of Tahiti because the new paths run feet from those patios and maybe some ground floor rooms at Tahiti and Tokelau for the same reason. I could even see them taking all the lagoon side rooms out of circulation with the equipment that will be out on that side of the building. Hawaii I believe will be affected with some room view changes because the rooms from about the middle to the east end look right at that area off Sunset Pointe so they will no longer be Themepark view category (that is my guess). I will still be surprised if Tahiti does not close totally since they donít seem to be planning on renovating the rooms. Maybe they are just going to do the path construction and grading and keep it open until they decide to gut it for DVC. As you can see it was stated that the pool will be open so I hope people can now believe me when I say that the September closure dates for the pool is outdated info but I guess we all have to wait for September to be convinced.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #2432
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Are there coffee machines in the guest rooms at Poly? If so, what kind of coffee is in the room? My mom NEEDS her coffee first thing and if they still have Nescafe in the CL, that probably isn't going to cut it! Just curious what our other options may be...I may just bring Starbucks VIA...
Its a Cuisinart pods

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #2433
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Poppins View Post
We are headed to Disney in 3 weeks before my DH deploys. We are booked at PO Riverside with free dining. I really want to switch to a monorail resort--and my kids want to stay at the Polynesian for something different since we have usually stayed at CR.

Is it wrong that my biggest problem with the upgrade is that I hate the thought of making the call and being on the phone with the CM forever??? LOL
If that is your biggest problem, then you are going to have some smooth sailing - yahoo!!! Congrats on the switch and the monorail is so awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannak View Post
LOVE the pictures, Tinkerbellie - what a cute family!

I can't believe the leis are scented - how FUN! It doesn't make sense that the Poly isn't consistent with handing them out. Maybe they need to give CMs buttons like they do at restaurants, "If I fail to suggest dessert, it's free!". How about, "If I don't give you a lei, you get a free Dole Whip!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannak View Post
OK, now that I re-read my post above, I think a lot of CMs would refuse to wear a button like that.

Still, I think the flower leis need to be mandatory and consistent. I can't WAIT to get ours and I DON'T WANNA HAVE TO ASK!!
Hmmm, I think I would choose the free dole whip...but we do like our leis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart-mom View Post
Made the move today. just changed our BC reservation to the Poly - 8/31-9/7. DH asked last night if it was even possible. Thought there would be no rooms left. The kids were kinda bummed. They wanted SAB but I think they will enjoy the volcano slide and how can you go wrong with the Poly? Now to change my mindset from being walking distance to Epcot to being back at the Poly with all it has to offer. Done.
We actually prefer the Poly pool to SAB. I don't like how widespread SAB is and how difficult it is to get from one area to another. And I hate that you have to cross a 'public' sidewalk to get to the slide. And then when you pop out of the slide, you have to get out of the pool to go to another area. Anyway, we like the volcano pool and the east pool too! Gotta love those shaded tables that you can easily score at the east pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
Steve just posted some major new about the construction that is starting this September. It will affect the beach areas and some views In current longhouses. One of those is Hawaii. I am not a happy camper right now
While I'm not geeked to have construction, I rarely find it an issue. And even then, my DH is a contractor and he loves to talk to the crews working around the resorts. He's fascinated by the codes, the changes, and the how-tos. Gives him something manly to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesouthard View Post
Here at the Poly now! Samoa 1st floor facing the volcano pool...PERFECT location!!! They were checking IDs and giving wristbands out today at the pool...happy to see this being done!
Nice!!! Send lots of live reports (well, if you want!) - have fun!

Quote:
Are there coffee machines in the guest rooms at Poly? If so, what kind of coffee is in the room? My mom NEEDS her coffee first thing and if they still have Nescafe in the CL, that probably isn't going to cut it! Just curious what our other options may be...I may just bring Starbucks VIA...
Yes, there are coffee makers.

Info here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r#post47956985

Photo here: (This is a YC review but the picture of the coffee maker - scroll down till you see it- is the same as the Poly coffee maker.)
http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/05/...t-club-resort/

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #2434
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesouthard View Post
Here at the Poly now! Samoa 1st floor facing the volcano pool...PERFECT location!!! They were checking IDs and giving wristbands out today at the pool...happy to see this being done!
I am glad they did it on a Friday. The CMs that were wrist banding said they were only doing during the w/e. I could see a noticeable difference in crowds or lack of and more pool space during the weekend then during the week.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #2435
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

There was a crash between a Mears bus and a car outside Epcot. One person was killed. Very sad.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #2436
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
There was a crash between a Mears bus and a car outside Epcot. One person was killed. Very sad.
It was a Disney Magical Express bus. Lots of coverage here. Prayers to all involved.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #2437
Dominion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Yes that is how I interpret but something missing from that posting from the travel site that I was told about was that some rooms will be taken out of inventory because of this construction. To me I would think that would at a minimum be the ground floor lagoon side rooms of Tahiti because the new paths run feet from those patios and maybe some ground floor rooms at Tahiti and Tokelau for the same reason. I could even see them taking all the lagoon side rooms out of circulation with the equipment that will be out on that side of the building. Hawaii I believe will be affected with some room view changes because the rooms from about the middle to the east end look right at that area off Sunset Pointe so they will no longer be Themepark view category (that is my guess). I will still be surprised if Tahiti does not close totally since they donít seem to be planning on renovating the rooms. Maybe they are just going to do the path construction and grading and keep it open until they decide to gut it for DVC. As you can see it was stated that the pool will be open so I hope people can now believe me when I say that the September closure dates for the pool is outdated info but I guess we all have to wait for September to be convinced.
I can't thank you enough for all of this information. Its so much less anxiety to know what we can reasonably expect during our trip! I feel lucky that we are going in December....I can't imagine how the people going in 2014 feel while trying to plan that far out with all the uncertainty!
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2438
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
It was a Disney Magical Express bus. Lots of coverage here. Prayers to all involved.
Sorry. I was going by what was posted on my facebook page which said Mears but I saw another post besides yours that also said Magical Express bus. I should have changed my post.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2439
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post

DME is actually still Mears. The DME drivers are Mears employees not CMs most of the time. They answer to Mears who are contracted by Disney to offer DME so yes DME takes you to Disney and is set up by Disney but isn't owned or operated by them except the loading part.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #2440
Dominion
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have a picture of the in-room safes or know the dimensions (or better yet, both?) I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bring my DSLR camera, but I won't if there's no way it will go in the safe. I want to bring it for character meal dinners and maybe our morning at MK when we do BBB and CRT, but I don't want to carry it around the parks for 7 days.

Thanks!
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #2441
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the in-room safes or know the dimensions (or better yet, both?) I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bring my DSLR camera, but I won't if there's no way it will go in the safe. I want to bring it for character meal dinners and maybe our morning at MK when we do BBB and CRT, but I don't want to carry it around the parks for 7 days.

Thanks!
Mine fit it in along with my video camera (hand sized), iPad, 5 chargers and a power strip well my Dh said it is a bus strip, whatever! Plus our wad of cash, my credit cards and spare change. There was still room for more stuff.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #2442
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

thanks everyone for the responses about contacting guest relations, lost and found and also the laundry. I really appreciate your taking my silly little problem seriously! I am going to make calls tomorrow and see what can be found!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #2443
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

Poly DVC

So I have been kicking around the idea of becoming DVC member but I am thinking of waiting to see what comes along at the Poly. Has anyone inquired about this yet? When do they start selling the site? is it after construction is complete or some time before that? I feel a little nervous as I really know nothing about DVC. Wish I had time for a tour during my last stay but I was too busy having fun!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #2444
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
So I have been kicking around the idea of becoming DVC member but I am thinking of waiting to see what comes along at the Poly. Has anyone inquired about this yet? When do they start selling the site? is it after construction is complete or some time before that? I feel a little nervous as I really know nothing about DVC. Wish I had time for a tour during my last stay but I was too busy having fun!
We went to a DVC meeting while we were there a couple of weeks ago and they are not offering the Poly yet. I think as it gets closer to completion they will begin to offer it. We found that DVC was not for us. The cost for the amount of points we would need to vacation the way we do was astronomical plus even when that is paid up you still have dues of 1500 a year. He kept saying that it was only a little over 700 per visit. I said I am buying into DVC so that I don't have to pay per visit. He didn't get it. LOL
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #2445
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
thanks everyone for the responses about contacting guest relations, lost and found and also the laundry. I really appreciate your taking my silly little problem seriously! I am going to make calls tomorrow and see what can be found!
Not silly at all. These things are important to our kids and if a phone call can reunite them then it is wonderful. My son lost a hat. He is 19. I can't tell you how happy he was that they found it. Never be afraid to ask a question etc.... The only silly question is the one not asked.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: