Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #1951
Wonderwoman1982
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up December trip booked

I am so excited, I've never stayed at this resort before (was at POR this summer) but I'll be coming over for a "much looking forward to" girls only trip! I hear the food court will be down until December 20th, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that it'll be open a few days early- just for us! Hoping for unusually cool temps as well Also lucked out with the free QS dining. I don't really have anything particularly important to say, I just wanted to share my happiness
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #1952
FancyNancy
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwoman1982 View Post
I am so excited, I've never stayed at this resort before (was at POR this summer) but I'll be coming over for a "much looking forward to" girls only trip! I hear the food court will be down until December 20th, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that it'll be open a few days early- just for us! Hoping for unusually cool temps as well Also lucked out with the free QS dining. I don't really have anything particularly important to say, I just wanted to share my happiness
Congratulations on your upcoming girls trip! I've stayed at both All Star Sports and POR and I actually liked All Star Sports better!

FancyNancy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #1953
Mike Mouse
Earning My Ears

Just got back from our stay at All-Star Sports. This is always a very cool resort to stay at for the price but the whole temp quick service area and the rapid refill mug system was a COMPLETE JOKE!
They charge the new prices for the mugs but the system isnt even in place. They refill you mug but a CM does it by verifying that you have a mug and then fill up a paper cup using one of the bar style dispenser guns. Theres no way to verfiy how long your mug is activated for so if you go the "honest" way and pay the $19 for the length of stay, your a chump. Oh.... and literally 90% of the time, every carbonated drink was flat! I demanded a refund which they happily gave me.
The temporary setup was very small and not alot of tables to sit at so best chance is to take food on the go. The buses to the Movies resort was very well set up I must say.

With no fridges in the rooms, the food court shutdown, and the temporary area being chaotic, I would recommend switching resorts if able to.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #1954
FancyNancy
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mouse View Post
Just got back from our stay at All-Star Sports. This is always a very cool resort to stay at for the price but the whole temp quick service area and the rapid refill mug system was a COMPLETE JOKE!
They charge the new prices for the mugs but the system isnt even in place. They refill you mug but a CM does it by verifying that you have a mug and then fill up a paper cup using one of the bar style dispenser guns. Theres no way to verfiy how long your mug is activated for so if you go the "honest" way and pay the $19 for the length of stay, your a chump. Oh.... and literally 90% of the time, every carbonated drink was flat! I demanded a refund which they happily gave me.
The temporary setup was very small and not alot of tables to sit at so best chance is to take food on the go. The buses to the Movies resort was very well set up I must say.

With no fridges in the rooms, the food court shutdown, and the temporary area being chaotic, I would recommend switching resorts if able to.
I think unfortunately for some people this is just the wrong time to be at All Star Sports. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience that really stinks I've read some bad reviews on Trip Advisor yesterday and it all has to do with the food court refurbishment.
The fact is though that the food court does really need to be refurbed and their temporary set up just seems to be putting some people off. I am going in January and look forward to seeing the new Food Court and newly refurbed rooms.

FancyNancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #1955
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

We are staying at ASsports in a few days. We decided to keep our reservations hoping that the rooms would be in among the best condition among the wdw resorts because of the recent room renovations.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1956
Wick
DIS Veteran

I just got back from SPORTS.

If you look at my posts in this thread before my trip, you will see I had some hesitation about staying here after learning that the End Zone food court would be closed.

I am completely happy I decided to stay at SPORTS. My room was immaculate as well as the rooms of the relative I was traveling with.

SPORTS is doing a great job working around the closed End Zone. As mentioned earlier, the cold food fridges and beverage station are located in the arcade which has been completed cleared out of any video games.

There is no RFID system in place to monitor which type of refillable mug you purchased (1 day, 2 day, 3 day or length of stay). The beverage station is actually just a counter manned by 2 CMs who will pour your drink into a paper cup after you simply show them that you have a mug. They do not know if you paid 8 or 18 dollars for the mug. The reason they do not physically pour the drink directly into your mug is because they are not allowed to touch it per cleanliness regulations apparently. As you can imagine, there are a lot of paper cups being wasted and I anticipate they will change or modify this policy soon.

To get hot meals, go right outside and take the shuttle bus over to MUSIC. It goes back and forth all day long and is NOT a Disney bus (a third party bus company called Horizon).

There are signs and extra CMs posted everywhere throughout stadium hall to point people in the direction of where they need to go while the refurb goes on. There really is no room for confusion and I commend the job SPORTS is doing.
2010 - All Star Movies
2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ((Road trip from NYC!!))
2008 - Royal Pacific
2007 - Pop / POFQ / Poly
2006 - Contemporary / Animal Kingdom Lodge
2005 - Disney Magic Cruise Christmas
2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge / Contemporary
2003 - Royal Pacific
2002 - Beach Club
2001 - Hard Rock
2000 - All Star Sports

dream makers, it hits ya right here.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AmcrQlF2OpI
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #1957
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments! We will be heading there in a few days Your positive experience makes me feel that much better about not switching

What about the in-room fridges? Did you (or your relative) have one? Any talk amongst yourselves and the CMs about the fridge situation at ASSp? I tried calling the front desk and got a super-vague answer.
PinkMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #1958
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I just got back from SPORTS.

If you look at my posts in this thread before my trip, you will see I had some hesitation about staying here after learning that the End Zone food court would be closed.

I am completely happy I decided to stay at SPORTS. My room was immaculate as well as the rooms of the relative I was traveling with.

SPORTS is doing a great job working around the closed End Zone. As mentioned earlier, the cold food fridges and beverage station are located in the arcade which has been completed cleared out of any video games.

There is no RFID system in place to monitor which type of refillable mug you purchased (1 day, 2 day, 3 day or length of stay). The beverage station is actually just a counter manned by 2 CMs who will pour your drink into a paper cup after you simply show them that you have a mug. They do not know if you paid 8 or 18 dollars for the mug. The reason they do not physically pour the drink directly into your mug is because they are not allowed to touch it per cleanliness regulations apparently. As you can imagine, there are a lot of paper cups being wasted and I anticipate they will change or modify this policy soon.

To get hot meals, go right outside and take the shuttle bus over to MUSIC. It goes back and forth all day long and is NOT a Disney bus (a third party bus company called Horizon).

There are signs and extra CMs posted everywhere throughout stadium hall to point people in the direction of where they need to go while the refurb goes on. There really is no room for confusion and I commend the job SPORTS is doing.
Glad you had a great stay! I agree, the rooms are in wonderful condition! I have encountered many wonderful CMs at this resort!

I know the food court closure is inconvenient.

Until the food court reopens, the paper cups will likely continue. For many years, the Bakery at BWI used to have to fill paper cups for guests with mugs (the machines were behind the counter) -- wasteful and time-consuming. They remodeled last year so now there's a drink station where guests can refill their mugs.

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #1959
Wick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMagnolia View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments! We will be heading there in a few days Your positive experience makes me feel that much better about not switching

What about the in-room fridges? Did you (or your relative) have one? Any talk amongst yourselves and the CMs about the fridge situation at ASSp? I tried calling the front desk and got a super-vague answer.
When we checked in, they explained that the fridges had been recalled (did not specify the reason) and they were in the process of replacing all of them. The fridge in my room over at surfs up had a notice about the situation posted on the fridge door and it had been unplugged. However, my brothers room in Touchdown was still plugged in and did not have the notice. He used the fridge for bottles of water without problems.
2010 - All Star Movies
2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ((Road trip from NYC!!))
2008 - Royal Pacific
2007 - Pop / POFQ / Poly
2006 - Contemporary / Animal Kingdom Lodge
2005 - Disney Magic Cruise Christmas
2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge / Contemporary
2003 - Royal Pacific
2002 - Beach Club
2001 - Hard Rock
2000 - All Star Sports

dream makers, it hits ya right here.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AmcrQlF2OpI
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #1960
TrentzMom
Earning My Ears

Just returned from ASSp on Thursday. The week before we left I seriously considered switching to Pop, but we decided to stay only because my DD9 begged to stay at Sports(this was her pick as she plays 4 sports). The only reason I wanted to move was because I stayed at an AS resort last year and will be staying at an AS in December...I just wanted to try a different resort. We rarely use the food court so I wasn't really worried. The only concern I had was about the fridge, since we do breakfast in our room and needed a fridge for milk and juice.

Knowing that many of the resorts were having fridge problems I knew that moving to another one wouldn't help the problem, so we decided to stay and I'm glad we did because it was a great place for my family. The rooms have had a recent soft goods update and look great!

Now we just had to figure out the fridge. We ended up driving this trip so we brought one with us...had a small cube fridge in the basement that we took along and it worked very well. I also questioned the CM at check-in about what was being done to compensate guests for not having a fridge since it was listed as an ammenity of the room when I booked it...they gave me a $15 per night credit for the inconvenience. So I still had my fridge and $120 back in my pocket.
**June 1996 - Contemporary***July 2005 - Off-Site****August 2009 - 10th Anniversary Trip with All the Family @ Saratoga Springs****August 2012 - 13th Anniversary Trip (just the 2 of us) @ All-Star Music****August 2013 - @ All-Star Sports** **December 2013 - Band Trip @ Saratoga Springs (The band stayed at ASMusic)*****August 2014 - 15th Anniversary Trip @ Dolphin******June 2015 - Youth Group Trip @ TBD***

TrentzMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #1961
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

So I just booked my solo trip and am staying at Sports, my favorite. I was considering AS Music because of the food court situation but then again I don't really use the foodcourt except for maybe a pop or two. So I am sure that I will be fine. I am so excited as this is my first trip in 3 years. My ticker is not showing because I was fined some points hanging down in the community board and voicing my true opinion
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #1962
Mom24angels
Earning My Ears

I am going to ASsports in October with a family of six. Any updates on the fridge situation? Also, are there coffee makers in the rooms?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1963
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom24angels View Post
I am going to ASsports in October with a family of six. Any updates on the fridge situation? Also, are there coffee makers in the rooms?
There's no definitive status on fridge replacement. I just read that some guests at Art of Animation received new fridges in their rooms this week. I'd hope that by October ASSp would have most or all fridges replaced.

There's no coffee makers in any Disney value resort rooms.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1964
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustergirl View Post
So I just booked my solo trip and am staying at Sports, my favorite. I was considering AS Music because of the food court situation but then again I don't really use the foodcourt except for maybe a pop or two. So I am sure that I will be fine. I am so excited as this is my first trip in 3 years. My ticker is not showing because I was fined some points hanging down in the community board and voicing my true opinion
Awsome your sneaking in another trip and not letting the changes keep you away.

Those community boards can get one in lots of trouble. I never could figure out how some can be awful and nobody bothers them and other get points for nothing much.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1965
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Awsome your sneaking in another trip and not letting the changes keep you away.

Those community boards can get one in lots of trouble. I never could figure out how some can be awful and nobody bothers them and other get points for nothing much.
True: you have to wear your boxing gloves when down in the community boards

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: