Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #46
WeddingPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorstma View Post
We did it a week ago Sunday - park was packed so it was very nice to have our own semi-private viewing area, and a real treat to have Tink fly right at us. Think of it as a pleasant albeit expensive way to have VIP viewing of the fireworks away from the hoards, with dessert and coffee thrown in, and you'll enjoy it. Wait for the initial crush of kids to die down before going up for your goodies and you'll have no problems. I got a "you did good" from the wife and 17yo daughter when we went (after putting up with a bunch of griping about the expense), so for me it was money well spent.

@jhorstma, this is totally off topic but since you mentioned Tink flying by I thought you might know. We all know how Tink used to come down the cable from the castle. I had someone tell me that went recently she doesn't do that anymore. They said she still flies over but she has on some kind of a jet pack. Did you happen to notice how she was "flying" when you saw her??

Who got the most pixie dust ever on their honeymoon???? We did!!!
We were chosen as the "opening family" for MK rope drop, DHS rope drop and they let us in at Epcot to ride Soarin' (twice!) all by ourselves before the park opened! .. ..
-
Too many trips to count, last trip 9-2012, next trip 9-2013!
WeddingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #47
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

We did not have a good experience but many people love it. Our DD slept the entire time = wasted money but that was not their fault and we had a great table. Our experience would have been better if we had gotten there early as we were the last to get in. The line was long and people were hoarding the food. The poor servers had a tough time keeping up and they did run out of a lot of desserts. It was like feeding time for the animals. So it was people's behavior that was offsetting. That being said.... get there early that could make all the difference.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #48
patrickpiteo
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingPrincess View Post

@jhorstma, this is totally off topic but since you mentioned Tink flying by I thought you might know. We all know how Tink used to come down the cable from the castle. I had someone tell me that went recently she doesn't do that anymore. They said she still flies over but she has on some kind of a jet pack. Did you happen to notice how she was "flying" when you saw her??
Last aug I saw no jet pack
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

If you want to try it, I say stick with your ressies - that is the only way you'll know if it's for you!

As for us, no way! If you have to stand anyway, we'd much rather stand where we at least can actually 'see' 'all' the fireworks. The ceiling is not high enough to see them all, even at the railing, so not worth it to us - to each their own. The crowds don't bother us - we're too busy enjoying the show.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #50
bdink921
DIS Veteran

We went last night and had a great time. The fireworks were awesome as was the castle show and the kids had a nice unobstructed and uncrowded view of everything. We headed into Tomorrowland afterward for Buzz and the Laugh Floor before we left. For us it was totally worth it.

BTW Tink flew on her cable -- no jet pack

Last edited by bdink921; 08-15-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Darn spell checker!
bdink921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #51
patrickpiteo
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdink921 View Post
We went last ought and had a great time. The fireworks were awesome as was the castle show and the kids had a nice un obstructed and uncrowned view of ever tithing. We headed into Tomorrowland after ward for Buzz and the Laugh Floor before we left. For us it was totally worth it.

Right over our heads made you have a tear in my eye... Worth doing it once just for that
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #52
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We went last night and had a great time. The fireworks were awesome as was the castle show and the kids had a nice unobstructed and uncrowded view of everything. We headed into Tomorrowland afterward for Buzz and the Laugh Floor before we left. For us it was totally worth it.

No jet pack that's funny... She didn't have a beard tho right? Lmao!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012

bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
Mommytink
Mouseketeer

We went with a large party last Wednesday and I was not impressed. They ran out of desserts quickly and did not have enough cups for everyone. My nephew found a hair baked into his food! It may have gotten an off night as it seemed very disorganized. We prefer Pirate and Pals Firework Voyage.
Mommytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #54
AmberHeartsDisney
DIS Veteran

We have done the dessert party many times and have never had no issue. I go and see for your self, I think its worth it at least once.
March/April 2007- Offsite~11/29/09-12/07/09-Polynesian (For free! I won a trip)~11/29-12/07/10-Polynesian~5/12-5/17/11 Polynesian~9/16-9/19/11 All Star Music~11/13-11/17/11 Animal Kingdom Lodge Club level - Honeymoon ~11/17-11/20/12 Disney Dream Cruise~11/2-11/9 2013 BLT/AKC (We finally bought a DVC!!!09/2013)~5/5-5/11 GFV~12/6-12/13 GFV

Our Disney Travel Blog
AmberHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #55
bdink921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
No jet pack that's funny... She didn't have a beard tho right? Lmao!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
LOL no beard but it def looked like a guy's physique. I found that pretty amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommytink View Post
We went with a large party last Wednesday and I was not impressed. They ran out of desserts quickly and did not have enough cups for everyone. My nephew found a hair baked into his food! It may have gotten an off night as it seemed very disorganized. We prefer Pirate and Pals Firework Voyage.
So funny how different people's experience can differ. I went in with expectations of a decent view for fireworks but mediocre dessert experience. While the desserts were not the best I have ever had, they were very good and the event seemed well organized. Maybe different staff on different nights? Must have been an off night. Sorry to hear that.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
jhorstma
Mooseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingPrincess View Post

She was on the cable. Jet pack would've been wicked cool, but perhaps a bit out of character...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #57
WeddingPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorstma View Post
She was on the cable. Jet pack would've been wicked cool, but perhaps a bit out of character...
"a bit out of character..."

Thanks for confirming s(he's) still on the cable. Whew, I was getting a little concerned. I know Disney is trying to go high tech and all but that might be a bit much. It's Tink, not Ironman.

Who got the most pixie dust ever on their honeymoon???? We did!!!
We were chosen as the "opening family" for MK rope drop, DHS rope drop and they let us in at Epcot to ride Soarin' (twice!) all by ourselves before the park opened! .. ..
-
Too many trips to count, last trip 9-2012, next trip 9-2013!
WeddingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #58
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:

LOL no beard but it def looked like a guy's physique. I found that pretty amusing

So funny how different people's experience can differ. I went in with expectations of a decent view for fireworks but mediocre dessert experience. While the desserts were not the best I have ever had, they were very good and the event seemed well organized. Maybe different staff on different nights? Must have been an off night. Sorry to hear that.
Tink is a girl. Actually she's one of 3 girls. No guys, sorry.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #59
scjo68
DIS Veteran

We have done the dessert party 5 times.

We enjoy it but I know it's not to everyone's taste.

I see lots of posters raving about seeing Tink so closely. I agree it's great, but exited to remind everyone that she does not always fly. If the weather is questionable at all, then she died it fly. Out of our five parties, we have only seen her fly twice. Our chances are likely diminished since we have always been in August, when evening weather is frequently wet. Anyway,we are used to it now, but I advise parents not to emphasize looking for Tink with their kids too much.

We were just at the party last Sunday, the 18th, and there was a huge storm. Msep was cancelled, and wishes was delayed. The power flickered where we were, and I read online that guests were stranded in tomorrowland attractions and the monorail. They were being evacuated all over and it sounded like a real mess. We were very thankful to be where we were, dry, seated, enjoying desserts and coffee, and the view.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
WildabouttheMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
The last time we did it, it was so bad that they actually refunded our money afterwards. The original party was great. I have no idea why they decided to change things up but it was a terrible decision.

Many ppl love it though so it really has to do with expectations/attitude and the type of experience you are looking for.

But if you go to the restaurants board you can find a TON of positive reviews and the thread showing how many ppl are just waiting for bookings to open up. So there is no shortage of ppl wanting to throw money at Disney for this party. LOL

Eat- we've done the party 4x, 2x in the original style and 2x in the current style.
I have to say I agree, we first went to the DP about 3 years ago and we really enjoyed it. We went again this past June and it had changed. Very small congested area to get to the food, there was one family there who kept sending their small children to cut through the lines in front of people to bring back food that the parents placed in zip lock bags their table was heaped with deserts. They had their children literally grabbing the deserts. It was awful. In my opinion not worth the money. We should have considered asking for our money back.
WildabouttheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: