Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

Such beautiful reviews!

Your reviews make me want to give Palo another try. I have skipped it in favor of Remy, which was absolutely unbelievably good, because I have been underwhelmed with the dinner food at Palo.

Brunch is not to be missed! I never got to experience the brunch at Remy and I am so sorry now after reading your blog!

Thank you!

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegazer View Post
Your reviews make me want to give Palo another try. I have skipped it in favor of Remy, which was absolutely unbelievably good, because I have been underwhelmed with the dinner food at Palo.

Brunch is not to be missed! I never got to experience the brunch at Remy and I am so sorry now after reading your blog!
Nothing wrong with hitting Remy instead of Palo! The Remy Champagne Brunch was a lot of fun. Before going to that I would have told you I didn't care for "champagne" but I found out that what is normally served at weddings, etc is just a poor imitation. The pairings at brunch do even more to show how much difference there is among Champagnes.
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

Next cruise is back to the Magic, so Remy won't be an option sadly. But I was thinking of not doing Palo at night, but your review makes me think, maybe I should adjust that thinking....

I have been on a Champagne tour in France and I totally understand what you mean. Sparkling wine does not make a Champagne! Champagne is totally to be experienced!

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Please tell us what you ordered.
I really can't remember. The food wasn't memorable at all. The one thing I do remember is the waiter apologizing profusely that wen didn't think the meal was "excellent". I told him I thought it was good and we loved the service and the atmosphere. I mentioned to him that wasn't blaming him or the chefs in the kitchen. I just don't think it is possible for a restaurant on a cruise ship to compete with an off ship restaurant. In Seattle where the chef can get fresh locally sourced seafood and vegetables they have a huge advantage over the cruise ship.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Interesting perspective. I might quibble with the question of access to locally sourced seafood, since the ship does actually stop at lots of ports with fresh seafood. But your contribution is a good one. I'd hope they buy what is local at each port they stop at and not just rely on what they can buy in bulk at their home port.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
tribble
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Interesting perspective. I might quibble with the question of access to locally sourced seafood, since the ship does actually stop at lots of ports with fresh seafood. But your contribution is a good one. I'd hope they buy what is local at each port they stop at and not just rely on what they can buy in bulk at their home port.
i didn't see them take on any supplies when in port. we asked one of the servers and she said the ship only restocked in home port - guess it helps maintain quality standards and reduces risk of foodborne illness.

we had dinner at Palo and almost everything was excellent - appetizers, desserts, suggested wine (the 2nd cheapest red on the list), and wife's entree (lamb). my steak (filet) was very tender and cooked perfectly, but under-salted and tasted a bit bland, so it was only "good", but everything else was excellent. going to try to go there twice next time.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Yes we were on an Alaskan cruise last Summer and I would have expected that would have fresh salmon on board, but they did not. Some of the best Dungeness Crab I have eaten was at a very modest restaurant. They just sourced fresh crab and steamed it. No chef in the kitchen from some fancy culinary school needed.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: