Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
mom+3girls
DIS Veteran

single

Has anyone ever cruised alone? Wondering what the experience was like. How did dining go?
Considering a cruise next Sept 2014 alone on the Dream.
mom+3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom+3girls View Post
Has anyone ever cruised alone? Wondering what the experience was like. How did dining go?
Certainly many have traveled as solo cruisers. Be aware, the single supplement fee is 100%. That is, you will still pay for 2 people in the room (but only one set of port fees and taxes). It could be worth your while to find someone to travel with.

You most likely would be placed at a table with others. Probably adult (couples and possibly other solo travelers).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom+3girls View Post
I sailed six times alone on Disney. I usually make a lot of new friends, see a lot of the same passengers on various cruises and made all sorts of friends with the cast members. On my first solo cruise my table mates where great. On my second solo cruise my dining table mates where complaining about all sorts of things on the first day of our cruise and I didn't want to be around that negativity so I asked to be placed at my own table. Since that experience I always asks for my own table, although on occasion I have joined other tables for a meal or two after making new friends but I always end up back at my own table. If you have any other questions about cruising solo please feel free and asks or send me a message.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
LyndaC
Mouseketeer

I'm cruising solo for the first time on the east bound Panama Canal cruise in a month. Nothing like jumping into it with both feet.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I have done 2 solo cruises and have another one coming up in October, I travel solo because my friends think I have a disney problem and because they think I spend too much on vacation. Too bad for them I have had a great time on both of my cruises. The table mates that I was paired with were fantastic as well and I had no issues.

You will have a great time
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Getting ready for my 6th Disney cruise and 7th cruise solo over all. I tend to make friends on the cruise meet threads and then link reservations for dining so I already know my tablemates. This cruise will be different in that I haven't done that this trip. I'm probably going to concentrate on Palo and Remy.

I love being able to do my own thing and being as involved as much or little in activities as I want. This trip is all about relaxing and indulging myself since its a significant birthday.

The 200% single supplement now sucks though. I miss the 125% and 150% days

Jill in CO
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

I'm going solo for the first time in Feb and am exited about it! I've traveled to Dublin, London, and Florence on my own, so I'm not too worried about it. The single supplement does suck, but honestly it comes to about what I'd spend going to Europe an touring on my own before meals, so I might as well!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Tower
DIS Veteran

This is only a suggestion, but if you're going to pay double anyway, why not invite a friend to come along with you? Tell him/her up front that you don't have to spend time together, but just share the room with ground rules.
Perhaps find someone who's also and early riser or night owl like you (whichever you are). All they have to pay for are the port fees and their transport to the ship.
If you're paying that much anyway, you may as well share the fun with someone.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
This is only a suggestion, but if you're going to pay double anyway, why not invite a friend to come along with you? Tell him/her up front that you don't have to spend time together, but just share the room with ground rules.
Perhaps find someone who's also and early riser or night owl like you (whichever you are). All they have to pay for are the port fees and their transport to the ship.
If you're paying that much anyway, you may as well share the fun with someone.
We don't all have or want someone to travel with. I pay the supplement because I have to....I think 200% is outrageous since I started out paying 125% when I first started cruising with Disney but its the price I pay to play.

Jill in CO
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

I had the most fabulous dinner alone in Remy! Such a treat and such cute, wonderful, French accented waiters! Ooo la la!! It was so much fun!

Dinners at the MRDs would be with my kids, but they left me last cruise when we had late seating at 9pm every night to join the clubs, so I was alone for most of dinner. I didn't love that.

I wonder if DCL automatically seats you with other people when cruising solo?

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
faithfullyeeyore
Some of the best moments in life are the ones you cannot tell anyone about

I have sailed 4 times solo on DCL and once on RC. The first 3 times I joined the Dis meets thread and the ones I really hit it off with I joined their table for dinner. One cruise I even did an excursion with one family. It's still one of the best excursions ever. The last solo cruise I did I was seated at a 6 top with all other solo female cruisers. I made a very good friend on that one and we are still very close! I've enjoyed sailing solo as it gives me the freedom do what I choose and when!! I was never bored! The CM's went above and beyond to make each solo cruise outstanding. I agree with Jill, the 200% does stink. I miss the 125% as well. It doesn't stop me though!!!! I say go and have a magical time!

May 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing and B2B aka Magic to the Med! (very 1st DCL cruises ever!) 26 total days onboard, in the top 5 best trips ever!

December 2008 4 day on the WONDER!
December 2008 I'm a DVC member now!
December 2009 7 day Western on the MAGIC!
May 17 2012 3 day on the DREAM!
September 9 2012 4 day on the DREAM
September 29 2012 7 day on the MAGIC
November 11 2012 7 day MAGIC
April 21 2013 4 day on the DREAM
faithfullyeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I did my first solo Disney cruise this past January. While I was excited about it, I did have some reservations going into it. However, once onboard, and even prior to, I met so many people. Our DIS meet group was fantastic, and was able to meet up with lots of people.

As well, once on the ship, it was fantastic!! I met so many great people, that if sitting alone, would come and talk to me. I could be as independent or as social as I chose to be. And that was the best part, it was MY choice what I wanted to do.

For meals, I was at a table with 2 couples (my age), and a few other single people. It was great! I could not have asked for better.

I booked the WBTA in 2014. 14 nights solo. I can't wait!! I have met soooo many wonderful people on my cruise thread. And have plans to travel to meet up with some prior to our cruise.

You will have a wonderful time! Embrace going as a solo cruiser
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaC View Post
I'm cruising solo for the first time on the east bound Panama Canal cruise in a month. Nothing like jumping into it with both feet.
Lynda, lucky you! I would love to do this! Solo
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: