Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

thanks for posting this. good to see examples. i have never been able to make it work for our family of 3 either.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Jelly Bean
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Savings: $131.11

Really? Be honest.

1. You ended up getting snacks to take home. Sure it is nice to have WDW snacks as a temporary momento, but those were more expensive than an equivalent snack you could buy at home. So how much extra did you spend there?

2. And would you have had all those TS meals? Sound like yes. But would you have ordered/eaten/drank all the appetizers, desserts, non-alocholic drinks, refillable mugs, etc.?

So please compare the cost of the DXP, plus tips, to what you would have ordered/spent if not on the plan, plus tips. Then you can see if there really was a savings.
Being Honest:

Yes, I would have had all those table service meals - even without the dining plan. This is vacation. We work hard and saved all year so we could go on a nice vacation and enjoy it. Part of that is enjoying a nice sit down meal each day. The other part is indulging in things we normally don't have - like an appetizer or dessert. Truth be told, most meals we did not even partake in dessert (and the totals I posted above reflect that), so I still saved money.

And in regards to the snacks, what's the difference if I ate those snacks in Disney, or brought them home? The SMALL amount of things I brought home total about $9.00, so it's not like that's skewing my savings.

I compared apples to apples. I would have eaten in the same places regardless of if I had the dining plan or not. I would have ordered the same items (apps, desserts, etc.).
Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
Being Honest:

Yes, I would have had all those table service meals - even without the dining plan. This is vacation. We work hard and saved all year so we could go on a nice vacation and enjoy it. Part of that is enjoying a nice sit down meal each day. The other part is indulging in things we normally don't have - like an appetizer or dessert. Truth be told, most meals we did not even partake in dessert (and the totals I posted above reflect that), so I still saved money.

And in regards to the snacks, what's the difference if I ate those snacks in Disney, or brought them home? The SMALL amount of things I brought home total about $9.00, so it's not like that's skewing my savings.

I compared apples to apples. I would have eaten in the same places regardless of if I had the dining plan or not. I would have ordered the same items (apps, desserts, etc.).
We do TS every day too, and order whatever we want as well. Glad it worked for you.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
singitalto
Can't wait to stay at the Beach Club Villas!
Just loves 'OHana!

MikenandReneeplus5: Glad paying out of pocket worked for you!! I was wondering how it measured out. When I am using the dining plan , I defiantly want to get the most out ouf the plan so I would look at the menu with the attitude of what can I get to get the biggest bang out of my buck (or in the case of free dining, how much can I be ahead) I wondered how it worked out. Thanks for figuring it out for us

I'm sure it was a great trip!!!
Thanks for posting!!!
AS Sports Oct 2000,HIFS & Sheraton World Feb 2001,Courtyard WDW May 2001, POFQ & CSR & Dolphin Sept 2001, Courtyard WDW, CI&S,& Hard Rock Hotel Sept 2002, BCV April 2003, HIFS May2004, POP Aug 2005(free dining), POP Aug 2006(free dining), POP Dec 2006, ASMovies Sept 2007- (girls trip-free dining), Pop Century Dec 2007, OKW Feb 2009, POR Aug 2010(free dining), Girls only 50th Birthday trip to VWL Oct 2010, BV April 2011, AoA (Nemo suite) (free dining) Sept 2012, AKL Concierge Jan 2013, Saratoga Springs October 2013, POP 2014, AKL Concierge Jan 2014, ASMovies March 2014, CBR May 2014
singitalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #20
StuckInKS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
So please compare the cost of the DXP, plus tips, to what you would have ordered/spent if not on the plan, plus tips. Then you can see if there really was a savings.
I don't think this is a fair comparison either. Whether I am on the DDP or paying OOP I want the steak, but if I am sitting there looking at the menu prices and paying OOP, I end up ordering the cheaper chicken or pasta.
StuckInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInKS View Post
Whether I am on the DDP or paying OOP I want the steak, but if I am sitting there looking at the menu prices and paying OOP, I end up ordering the cheaper chicken or pasta.
Tell be about it.....

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
By George you are correct!

Our cheapest 2 TS meals were Tonys and 50s Prime Time. Those would have been OOP and cost roughly $250 net of tip.

So total cash savings is $575!

I'm not saying the DDP can't work in your favor ever, but it is a rarity.

Free DDP is another matter altogether and a different calculation.
I'm not sure I would say saving money on the dining plan is a rarity. It all depends on where your family likes to eat. If you like to eat at a lot of character meals the dining plan will usually save you money.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by singitalto View Post
MikenandReneeplus5: Glad paying out of pocket worked for you!! I was wondering how it measured out. When I am using the dining plan , I defiantly want to get the most out ouf the plan so I would look at the menu with the attitude of what can I get to get the biggest bang out of my buck (or in the case of free dining, how much can I be ahead) I wondered how it worked out. Thanks for figuring it out for us

I'm sure it was a great trip!!!
Thanks for posting!!!
I know just what you mean! For example, at Kona Café I think the duck was $22 or something and they had a steak for $30+. I felt like duck and that's what I got, but on the DDP I always felt a little like "gee maybe I should order that steak so I get my money's worth". LOL.

Likewise that night 2 of us wound up sharing a cheese platter and 2 or 3 sushi rolls for dinner. I have no idea how that would have played out on the DDP...apps don't count for sure. But that's what they wanted and we were free to not even give a thought to how the credits would sort out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm not sure I would say saving money on the dining plan is a rarity. It all depends on where your family likes to eat. If you like to eat at a lot of character meals the dining plan will usually save you money.
I feel confident in saying it's a rarity. That's why Disney pushes it, it's a money maker for them. As for character meals, I think CRT is the worst use of the DDP but I suppose Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace are good uses. But, as you say, if your family all orders expensive entrees (and that's what they really want) at every meal then yes it can work.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInKS View Post
I don't think this is a fair comparison either. Whether I am on the DDP or paying OOP I want the steak, but if I am sitting there looking at the menu prices and paying OOP, I end up ordering the cheaper chicken or pasta.
We had nights we ordered steak and nights we didn't. We just ordered what we wanted.

But yes, I agree with you that if you get the most expensive item on the menu at all your TS then the DDP can be a good value.

But look at the two examples in this thread...I saved $575 paying OOP.

The other poster saved $131 using the DDP and it seems as if they maximized their use. Just a couple less steaks here and there or one different restaurant perhaps that savings evaporates, whereas as we could have added an 8th TS OOP at, say, Le Cellier and still come out ahead.

Point being; it's much easier to come out ahead paying OOP.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know just what you mean! For example, at Kona Café I think the duck was $22 or something and they had a steak for $30+. I felt like duck and that's what I got, but on the DDP I always felt a little like "gee maybe I should order that steak so I get my money's worth". LOL.

Likewise that night 2 of us wound up sharing a cheese platter and 2 or 3 sushi rolls for dinner. I have no idea how that would have played out on the DDP...apps don't count for sure. But that's what they wanted and we were free to not even give a thought to how the credits would sort out.

I feel confident in saying it's a rarity. That's why Disney pushes it, it's a money maker for them. As for character meals, I think CRT is the worst use of the DDP but I suppose Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace are good uses. But, as you say, if your family all orders expensive entrees (and that's what they really want) at every meal then yes it can work.
I totally agree with this! While on DDP, I sought out the most expensive entree to make the plan "worth it" to me. Had we gone OOP, I probably would have ordered chicken or pasta (and in some cases, I would prefer chicken or pasta). That being said, we're doing OOP for our next trip and I fully plan in getting a steak at least once during our trip and DH is looking forward to steak at every TS meal. It is vacation after all.

And Disney is not stupid. They are making money regardless of the discounts they give. I think FD is also a great marketing tactic since they are hooking you on the plan itself. I'd be willing to be that people would come back another time and pay for it!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
QueenQueso
Mouseketeer

We haven't been yet so I have no real life data yet, but when initially researching and planning, before I heard of FD or that excel dining chart that can be downloaded, I went through the menus at allears.net and picked out what I thought my family would be likely to eat and then added all that up and compared it to the cost of the DDP. We came out ahead by a few hundred dollars paying OOP.

When FD was released, I decided to switch to that, even though we won't be making perfect, maximum use of it. I do plan to save all my receipts and do the math on it when we get back home to see how much we really saved vs how much we would've paid OOP for it all.

I do see how the DDP can seem like a really good idea. It's already paid for so when you're actually sitting in the restaurant, your meal feels 'free' and you don't feel like you have to budget. Whereas paying OOP, you have to keep an eye on that to avoid shorting yourself at the end of your trip. I used part of my tax refund and purchased several disney gift cards, thinking that would make it seem like I wasn't spending 'real' money once we were there.

I am anxious to see how the actual receipts turn out!

2003(Offsite, with my high school LifeSmarts team!) ~ September 13-22, 2013 (Ft. Wilderness) ~ Maybe September 2015?
QueenQueso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer

The RO 30%discount at Deluxe resort (Poly) wins over FD for 2 adults for 6 nites however if you add additional people savings is minimal if any!
Lsdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post

I totally agree with this! While on DDP, I sought out the most expensive entree to make the plan "worth it" to me. Had we gone OOP, I probably would have ordered chicken or pasta (and in some cases, I would prefer chicken or pasta). That being said, we're doing OOP for our next trip and I fully plan in getting a steak at least once during our trip and DH is looking forward to steak at every TS meal. It is vacation after all.

And Disney is not stupid. They are making money regardless of the discounts they give. I think FD is also a great marketing tactic since they are hooking you on the plan itself. I'd be willing to be that people would come back another time and pay for it!
We have paid for the DDP before we got it free, and after having it paid and free we would never go back with out it!

My reasons are.
1.we actually eat the most expensive items by choice! I can't eat pasta so my main choices for dinners are normally steak and veg,

2. I really enjoy dessert but eat little amounts, I want to be able to have the dessert and not feel like I had to either way it all or not get it at all because its wasting money.

3. We have 3 boys aged 8,8,10 when they was you her they Loves the character dining, we have a son with autism and so he hates queuing but lives the characters so even though they are older now " oldest will be 11 next trip" he still wants to do the buffets they set us back around $200 each time!
We would just never do this OOP as many times as we do in the 3 wk trips if we had to pay OOP! Even more so as we do dinner time buffets! Like chef mickey.

4. Buying ice cream and drinks for everyone would give us no change out of $50 a day ( we have tried it ) but with the plan our boys will share a slush or a ice cream Sunday and cookie sandwich between them as they are so big! Which leaves them with a nice lot of snack credits to be able to go mad in the sweet shops at the end of the trip.its one of their favourite things to do, get as many things as they can lol

5. We always share Qs meals which means we have never brought breakfast or lunch as between us we have enough credits not to have to spend even a $ on food!

So I know that DDP doesn't work for everyone but we love it, due to our son being in the adult plan me and him share at a lot of TS places and we always upgrade the twins who are 8 and they share too, this means that we do 3 or 4 signature meals without losing out on meals and having to make them up OOP,
Or we can do a character meal plus a TS on some days, ( it's a lot of food but we do t force ourselves to stuff it in) lol we just enjoy eating out as a family.

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

We save money every time! I remember the 1st year when we knew nothing about the plan, we couldn't believe how much everything was costing us, and at that point our twins was 1 and our other son was 3 so not even eating that much lol!
The next trip we brought the plan, and really loved it, I kept all my receipts and due to the amount of character meals the money we saved was insane!! We would have tried to have done all those meals if not in the plan but would have had no money for anything else lol!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I added a few reasons for why we love it in another post, I think if you use it how it's meant to be used it can save you a ton, it has saved us every time we have used it, we wouldn't go without it now, I guess it's the way we like to eat, plus we make our Qs credits work for both the other meals not covered by the TS credit!
So we have never spent a $ on any drink food or candy item on the last 4 3wk holidays.
That's the honest truth. And yet the boys have ice-cream candy and slushes every day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: