Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Asnell
Mouseketeer

Finding low-cost "placeholder" cruise

What's the best way to find the lowest-cost "placeholder" cruise if we want to reserve one online (then change later to another itinerary)? I assume the 3-night cruises are the cheapest, but is there a time of year or specific itinerary that's typically cheaper, or a way to look them up by price?

Also, does the timing of the "placeholder" cruise affect the timeframe of the eventual cruise we actually take? In other words, say the cheapest available cruise to book is for January 2014, but I don't intend to cruise until sometime in 2015 or 2016. Is it better to book a later placeholder? Are there restrictions on how far out one can actually take the trip and have the shipboard discount still be valid?
Asnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

You can just tell the onboard future booking agent that you want a dummy booking with a low deposit and they'll find it for you. Most likely it will be a 3-night as far out from the current date as possible but not into the holiday season. If you want to find this, you'd just have to search those dates (likely October - December 2014) to find the absolute lowest.

Currently, you may move an OBB as often as you'd like and still retain the OBB benefits. There is rumor that may change, but at this point it's just rumor.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I find the cheapest 3 nt cruises to be in Sept, early Dec or Jan & early Feb.
It doesn't matter which one you choose but you just have to keep track of the final payment due date. If you forget to switch to a later date & this date passes, you'll lose your deposit (& your onboard booking perks.)

If DCL releases another year of dates to book, and I still don't have a cruise in mind, I just move it as soon as I can. I try not to let it get close to the final payment date.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Dulcinea79
Earning My Ears

# of Stateroom Guests on Placeholder Cruises

One question related to placeholder cruises booked onboard - are you required to book for your entire family at that time, or can you for example book a couple, and then add a couple of kids to your reservation later after you move the placeholder around?
May 2014: 7N Western Caribbean (Disney Fantasy)
September 2013: 4N Bahamian (Disney Dream)
April 2013: WDW (Port Orleans Riverside)
October 2011: 7N Eastern Caribbean (Disney Magic)
December 2007: WDW (Port Orleans Riverside)
September 2006: 7N Eastern Caribbean (Disney Magic)
May 2005: 7N Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess)
September 2004: 7N Eastern Caribbean w/ Antigua - Honeymoon!! (Disney Magic)
February 1989: WDW (non-Disney hotel)
Dulcinea79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcinea79
One question related to placeholder cruises booked onboard - are you required to book for your entire family at that time, or can you for example book a couple, and then add a couple of kids to your reservation later after you move the placeholder around?
No issues at all with doing it. We have done just that with our last couple of dummy dates when we found what we wanted.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

As long as you add your kids as soon as you figure out your final date, you'll be fine. If you wait too long after booking there may not be room in the kids' clubs and/or life boats.

When we booked a dummy cruise onboard, the cruise agent chose the date for us. He said it was the designated date he'd been using for other place-holder cruises.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
momma2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asnell View Post
What's the best way to find the lowest-cost "placeholder" cruise if we want to reserve one online (then change later to another itinerary)? I assume the 3-night cruises are the cheapest, but is there a time of year or specific itinerary that's typically cheaper, or a way to look them up by price?

Also, does the timing of the "placeholder" cruise affect the timeframe of the eventual cruise we actually take? In other words, say the cheapest available cruise to book is for January 2014, but I don't intend to cruise until sometime in 2015 or 2016. Is it better to book a later placeholder? Are there restrictions on how far out one can actually take the trip and have the shipboard discount still be valid?
I don't see a benefit to booking online, just to move later. One would book onboard, and then move online later. I question whether OP understands 'placeholder' (ie. onboard booking of 'dummy' dates).
momma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2 View Post
I don't see a benefit to booking online, just to move later. One would book onboard, and then move online later. I question whether OP understands 'placeholder' (ie. onboard booking of 'dummy' dates).
I think OP meant "onboard" rather than "online" - whether it was an auto-correct or just a typo. The original post goes on to ask about how long the shipboard discount is available if pushing the date out.

And I believe you have to call to move the date, it can't be done online -- at least I haven't been able to do so. Once any reservation is made, it can viewed online, though.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcinea79 View Post
If you are booking a "dummy" that you intend to change, then you may book for just 2 and add others when you select your final date. If you are booking onboard for a specific cruise you DO wish to take, it's best to book any/all passengers who may go with you. It's much easier to drop a passenger from a reservation than to add, though that can depend on the cruise and how far out it is. There needs to be availability in the muster station and also the kids clubs (if adding kids) to add passengers.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
scmo44
Earning My Ears

Can you explain the benefit of booking on board? I understand the 10% off and the on board credit. Do you get to keep the cost of the cruise locked in? For example if I book a future cruise for february at $499 then want to move it to june, does the price go up? Do I just save the 10% of the next cost? I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the true benefit of booking while we are on the cruise. I found a great deal for this cruise (our first) and worked with a TA to get on board credit and free insurance. Thanks for any explanations!
scmo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmo44 View Post
Can you explain the benefit of booking on board? I understand the 10% off and the on board credit. Do you get to keep the cost of the cruise locked in? For example if I book a future cruise for february at $499 then want to move it to june, does the price go up? Do I just save the 10% of the next cost? I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the true benefit of booking while we are on the cruise. I found a great deal for this cruise (our first) and worked with a TA to get on board credit and free insurance. Thanks for any explanations!
Onboard booking provides for a reduced deposit at time of booking (10% rather than the usual 20%), a 10% discount off cruise fare, and an onboard credit for the future cruise (amount is based on length of cruise). Regardless of whether you take the cruise date booked or change it to a future date, you have "locked-in" a 10% discount, reduced deposit and the OBC amount. This is in addition to any OBC you get from a TA (say TA gives you $200 and you do a 7-night cruise with an OBB you get another $200 so you have a total of $400 in your onboard account before even boarding the ship). Plus the 10% discount off cruise fare.

But OBB cannot be combined with a *GT if you have a "great deal" like that now.

Cruise fare will depend on the specific cruise...all Feb. cruises do not cost the same nor do all June cruises. So if you change dates the fare will change, but you'd retain the 10% discount and OBC.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
June would probably be more expensive but you would still save 10% of the cruise you eventually take. If the cruise is less than a week long, you get $100 onboard credit. Longer than a week you get $200. onboard credit in addition to the onboard credit your travel agent is offering. If your cruise is $8000 you would put down a deposit of $800 instead of $1600. And save $800 off the fare, plus $400 in onboard credits.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
scmo44
Earning My Ears

Thanks for explaining it! I will just have to look at the numbers when we are on board. I booked a gty rate this time, so a little different from *gt rate, so would that work?
scmo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Bjornda
Earning My Ears

I have a semi-related question. If I book a dummy cruise on board with a cheaper deposit that the cruise I actually want, when I change my booking, I would likely have to increase my deposit to 10% of that cruise. Am I thinking this through correctly? Thanks in advance.!
Bjornda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for explaining it! I will just have to look at the numbers when we are on board. I booked a gty rate this time, so a little different from *gt rate, so would that work?
There is absolutely no difference between a GTY "rate" and a normal rate. All it means is that they cannot assign you a room at that point. Because there is no discount, you can book a GTY room with any discount that does apply to you, like onboard booking, kids sail free, Florida resident, etc. *GT rates, on the other hand, are heavily discounted and highly restricted. We cancelled an onboard booking, losing the benefits attached, in order to move the deposit to a *GT rate because we weren't allowed to combine them.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: