Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1516
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
You really don't find out until you get to the event

For some of the events that repeat you might get a idea from the posters who goto the first ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
You have to take a leap of faith. For the $14 deminars, they will give you a general idea of what is being served, but the menus are not set yet. As a pescatarian, I've found the deminar staff to be very accommodating if I let them know the day-of if there are any issues with the menu. I can only assume the more elaborate events are the same (though if you are, for instance, lactose intolerant, I wouldn't book the cheese pairings).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You don't know until you get there.

In the case of the culinary deminars you can usually find the full menu for the day's events posted outside the culinary venue in the Festival Center - but not until the day of the events. Before that, you only see the basic ingredient info that is posted on the schedule. And even then they change it up sometimes. I remember going to a culinary demo not long ago where the posted ingredient was "shrimp," the menu posted outside the venue the day of noted the chef would be making a soup with shrimp, but when we were seated at the event the chef said she had decided to make it vegan just to show that it was easy to make tasty vegan food. (Maybe she really didn't get any shrimp, or she had some bad shrimp, don't know.)

There are a couple of events I've been to (Taste Shake and Indulge like the French, La Hacienda Tequila Lunch) that served the same items at each session, but until the first session (assuming someone reports on the menu) nobody out here knows what the offerings will be.

Party for the Senses and the Regional Lunches will be different at each session. The tastings and pairings used to be that way but I don't do them every year anymore. The Signature events will have a special menu devised by the hosting chef/restaurant.
Thank you for the info. I don't know if I will sign up for anything; might just stick with the booths.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #1517
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

The more you do events like that the easier it gets for not knowing. Most of the dishes aren't that strange. When my husband & I first started dating, he was very limited with food choices; however, the more I forced him to do things like Food & Wine Events or more formal dining in general, he opened up on what he enjoyed.

Give it a try! You may find new things you enjoy or things you used to not like may be prepared in a different way that you may enjoy it. Its happened with me and lobster and my husband with gamey meats & different types of fish.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #1518
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
The more you do events like that the easier it gets for not knowing. Most of the dishes aren't that strange. When my husband & I first started dating, he was very limited with food choices; however, the more I forced him to do things like Food & Wine Events or more formal dining in general, he opened up on what he enjoyed.

Give it a try! You may find new things you enjoy or things you used to not like may be prepared in a different way that you may enjoy it. Its happened with me and lobster and my husband with gamey meats & different types of fish.
ITA! The chefs (or sometimes chefs working with a deminar host) take these events seriously. I think they put extra effort into offering yummy dishes. Not necessarily over complicated, just delicious.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1519
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

This week the DH and I decided to go away for the weekend of our anniversary. Which happens to fall during the food and wine festival. So we were up for an adult trip our first trip ever without the kiddos. We are staying at Pop!! Also a first. We've only stayed at AoA and POR.

We are excited for the food festival and to get a good look at Epcot. Our Christmas trip was our first time at Epcot and to be honest we were kinda bored. However we do have two young girls, and they weren't real thrilled with it. And we had been up since 4 am and to get to the airport for our flight and as soon as we got to the resort we went to the park. So we know we missed a lot and our attitude had a lot to do with been exhausted and adjusting to the heat (when we left there was snow on the ground).

I need all the important info the dos and don'ts for first timers. Also we are debating on park hoppers or buying MNSSHP tickets.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

kasedroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #1520
PoohCorner71
Earning My Ears

Happy Day After!

I don't know about everyone else but I was SOOOO happy this morning NOT to be up at the crack of dawn listening to busy signals and hold music for the 3rd day in a row!

Now I can forget about all that and get back to the excitement of waiting for our trip to get here!!!

PoohCorner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #1521
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohCorner71 View Post
I don't know about everyone else but I was SOOOO happy this morning NOT to be up at the crack of dawn listening to busy signals and hold music for the 3rd day in a row!
LOL!

Me too!
crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #1522
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post
I need all the important info the dos and don'ts for first timers. Also we are debating on park hoppers or buying MNSSHP tickets.
Schedule your days for the festival on weekdays. Epcot is more crowded on Friday, Sat, and Sun becasue local residents attend the festival in large numbers.

Also, take a look at the first page of this thread for hellpful links to the special events and menus for the international marketplaces.

Also visit the Epcot F&W section of the Disney Food Blog for helpful info:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013-e...wine-festival/
crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #1523
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw

Schedule your days for the festival on weekdays. Epcot is more crowded on Friday, Sat, and Sun becasue local residents attend the festival in large numbers.

Also, take a look at the first page of this thread for hellpful links to the special events and menus for the international marketplaces.

Also visit the Epcot F&W section of the Disney Food Blog for helpful info:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013-e...wine-festival/
It's a weekend trip. We'll only be there Saturday. We won't arrive til 7 on Friday night and are keeping around 4:30 Sunday afternoon.

kasedroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #1524
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If your only option is to go on a Saturday, make sure you get there right at 11 AM when World Showcase opens. Hit as many booths as you can before the crowds start arriving. You're coming from Future World if you are staying at Pop, consider skipping the booths that are right there when you enter World Showcase and head for the back of the showcase. Or, you can walk up through England and Canada and France and be ready when the rope is dropped and the booths open. The crowds coming in from Future World will swarm the first booths they come to, and it will take awhile for them to trickle back. When it starts getting crazy, take it easy. There will be crowds, and the booths will have big lines.

You may find shorter lines at booths offering more "exotic" types of cuisine. Try the vegan booth. Where you see long lines, they will usually move more quickly than you think they will, absent some kind of mechanical problem with the registers or some other unusual issue.

Also expect LOTS of people on the pathways, especially in the evenings. Congestion is prevalent around the England/Canada area, and in American Adventure and the neighboring pavilions right after the Eat to the Beat concert lets out. There will also be lines for the regular Epcot food and beverage offerings, not just for the festival booths. You may even find long lines for the bathrooms (especially the ladies').
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #1525
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaL View Post
Hello! I just registered on this forum specifically to say thank you, thank you, thank you for the posts mentioning to try again! I was so disappointed after calling first thing this morning and being told there was nothing for the Oct 13 Buddy Valastro Sweet Sunday. After reading the posts here around noon time I tried again and was able to reserve our spot!! This will be my first food & wine visit and I'm super excited now! Thanks again!!
Yay!

I"m sure I wasn't the only one to say try, try again. But you are welcome!

p.s. I have seen Buddy when his traveling show came to Minneapolis. He is very entertaining in person! You're in for a fun time!

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #1526
AuroraRora
Princess

Did the 3D Dessert party sell out (the GA, not the reserved seats)?
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #1527
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
Did the 3D Dessert party sell out (the GA, not the reserved seats)?
Not yet. As of 11:35AM EDT, you can still book on-line:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di.../3-d-desserts/

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013, Oct/Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Mar 2014, May 2014, October 2014.
Next Visits: Dec 2014
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #1528
ryansstitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post

It's a weekend trip. We'll only be there Saturday. We won't arrive til 7 on Friday night and are keeping around 4:30 Sunday afternoon.
Hmm, it will be pretty busy the whole time you are there then. I would suggest getting to Epcot before world showcase opens, just so you can get started at booths as soon as you can, before everyone starts rolling in by 1ish. however, on your friday, when you arrive, it will be packed already. with World showcase closing by 9 or 10, I probably wouldn't bother gong to the park unless there Ida special event dinner that you can book ( even then, that's a full day ticket on one meal!). I personally always get park hoppers, but that's mostly because both my husband and my dad, brother ( I've always gone with one or all of them!) have zero patience for boredom, and want to switch parks at the drop of a hat. That being said, I think it is still helpful during f&w in case you want to escape the heavy crowds and spend some time just enjoying another park. Our plan for the saturday we will be there is to get to booths when WS opens, spend a few hours at that, when we can't handle crowds, do rides until our 3pm seminar, afterwards do a few booths to kill time, head back to 5pm seminar, afterwards head to Hollywood studios or MK, depending on the crowd level in our lines app. We deliberately scheduled seminars for the busiest days so we can spend time we would be feeling a bit overwhelmed doing something we enjoy! Hope that helps!

ryansstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #1529
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

According to the Chase Disney visa newsletter I received in the mail, the American pavilion is the new location. I would think that they needed a larger location than last year because there were often times where there was a line to get in as it was filled to capacity.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #1530
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

This will be my 5th year at the F&W festival and my first trip with only adults. I am super excited. But, we didn't book any special events. I am still a bit on the fence because I would love PFTS but I am not sure the rest of my group would like the GA set up. We currently have a reservation at FF and I figure we will spend about the same amount of money as GA to PFTS. But, we will be able to sit and talk and relax through our meal. I don't know. Part of me feels like I will be missing out and the other part of me says, if any of the group is grumpy because of the crowds and lack of tables, it would ruin the night anyway....

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: