Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
wannabemini
Mouseketeer

Just read a horrible review of Fireworks Dessert Party from last week-keep or cancel?

Ack! Booked this months ago for our last night at Disney, family doesn't know, meant for it to be a surprise! But just read a review on FB from someone who just went & said it totally was not worth it, couldn't hear the music, someone stole their table by moving place cards, CMs recognized the guest had done that but couldn't fix it, etc. Now I'm second guessing the expenditure??

Talk me down? Shoot me straight? We leave in 32 hours!!! Poop! I was so hoping this would be the magical ending to our magical trip, since its our last trip for a long while. :0(
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I never make any decisions based on a single review of ANYTHING. If you feel the need to check additional reviews, I would try doing a search on this site. Not everyone enjoys the same things. The dessert party is no exception. For every person who dislikes the experience, there are lots who enjoy it.

Do a bit more research, if it will help you feel better about your choice.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
CapnJacksGirl
Mom to two little scalliwags!

If you read enough reviews, you'll find a horrible review of every single thing at WDW. I'm sure you researched the dessert party before booking, right? So, if it sounded then like something you and your family would enjoy, I'd go for it. You must have thought it was special to plan it as a surprise for your family. Everyone has different tastes and different tolerances of things that aren't absolutely perfect. If it were me, I'd get stick with it. You'll never know til you try!

Try not to stress about it and enjoy!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
delmar411
DIS Veteran

The last time we did it, it was so bad that they actually refunded our money afterwards. The original party was great. I have no idea why they decided to change things up but it was a terrible decision.

Many ppl love it though so it really has to do with expectations/attitude and the type of experience you are looking for.

But if you go to the restaurants board you can find a TON of positive reviews and the thread showing how many ppl are just waiting for bookings to open up. So there is no shortage of ppl wanting to throw money at Disney for this party. LOL

Eat- we've done the party 4x, 2x in the original style and 2x in the current style.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 08-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

My mom and I attended this and thought it was great. Deserts were fresh and delicious, viewing couldn't be beat. Tinkerbell went right over our heads and it was so great to have our own space to just sit and relax and watch the castle show and fireworks without the crush of the crowd and 100 iPads waving around in our faces. I would do it again!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Shock13
Mouseketeer

I did the Dessert Party twice. Once with just the two of us and we sat close to the rail and the other time with a larger group and further back. It was great both times! Plenty of desserts and stress-free.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock13 View Post
I did the Dessert Party twice. Once with just the two of us and we sat close to the rail and the other time with a larger group and further back. It was great both times! Plenty of desserts and stress-free.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Now the OP must go and report back to us.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
houstonmama
Mouseketeer

I went the first week of December '12 and I thought it was OK. IMO the desserts were not fabulous but they were good and I ate plenty of them . I would say that if you are going during a busy time of year it is worth it especially with little ones/kids.

I can not believe that someone would switch tables like that! That is awful

houstonmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
JessM
We all have a dream

We have done the dessert party 3 different times. We love it. The desserts are good, there's a huge selection, good drinks and its wonderful to sit down and relax before Wishes and Celebrate the Magic.

We are planning on doing it again in December
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemini View Post
Ack! Booked this months ago for our last night at Disney, family doesn't know, meant for it to be a surprise! But just read a review on FB from someone who just went & said it totally was not worth it, couldn't hear the music, someone stole their table by moving place cards, CMs recognized the guest had done that but couldn't fix it, etc. Now I'm second guessing the expenditure??

Talk me down? Shoot me straight? We leave in 32 hours!!! Poop! I was so hoping this would be the magical ending to our magical trip, since its our last trip for a long while. :0(
We were there Sunday night 8/11 and it was fine.

Table location really does not matter as everyone gathers near the rail when the show starts. It is NOT crowded at the rail and there is plenty of space for everyone to see just fine. But I wouldn't plan on watching from your table, very few did and they would miss the higher bursts due to the roof.

As far as the music I just don't get that comment at all. It was loud and totally easy to hear. In fact...they piped in the music for the MSEP to the point I wished they would shut it OFF and I was glad when the parade ended. But for Wishes it was perfect.

I found the dessert area to be a little cramped as far as moving around and getting stuff but with just a little patience you will get all the dessert you could possibly want so just don't freak out. When things empty, they refill them. It may take a couple of minutes but it all got refilled.

It's hard to keep desserts cool on hot August nights, I will say that. But not much can be done about that.

Also - be aware to fireworks are off center from this view and appear in the sky to the right of the castle.

All in all, to me it's worth the $25 or whatever to NOT have to deal with the crowds or time commitment needed to secure a "good spot".

But no, you will not get $25 worth of value out of just the desserts and beverages at all.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
BLLB

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
The last time we did it, it was so bad that they actually refunded our money afterwards. The original party was great. I have no idea why they decided to change things up but it was a terrible decision.

Many ppl love it though so it really has to do with expectations/attitude and the type of experience you are looking for.

But if you go to the restaurants board you can find a TON of positive reviews and the thread showing how many ppl are just waiting for bookings to open up. So there is no shortage of ppl wanting to throw money at Disney for this party. LOL

Eat- we've done the party 4x, 2x in the original style and 2x in the current style.
We've been a couple of times, 2010 and 2012. Would you mind saying what the changes were? Just curious.

To the OP. We enjoyed the party both times and are definitely planning to do make reservations for 2014.

BLLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

We tried it once and will not go back. I like the view from the front of the castle best and the desserts were just ok. They also sat us next to the stinky wait station!
They could not move our table so we got refunded our money.

On another note many people seem to like it. Just because we didn't, doesn't mean you won't. I say try it and see.
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post

We went a few years ago and enjoyed the dessert party. I'm curious what they have changed in the meantime.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

My DD17 and I did a party in January. We weren't really impressed. We had a great table location, but we weren't in love with any of the desserts or drinks. And when getting our desserts, we felt the set up was too small and crowded and should have been given more room on the terrace. The feeling we got at the dessert bar was a like a 'free for all' for some reason. To us the cost wasn't worth what we got. I think if someone wants a less-crowded atmosphere and is willing to watch from an angle, and wants a bunch of desserts to try, it might work for them to try it. I don't think I'd cancel based on one review.

We will continue to watch from Main St near the Hub as we have before, on future visits.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: