DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Comparing apples to apples, you easily should be able to save $50pp on SSR resale versus direct. On 100 points that's $5000 for the same product.

If it were me, I'd buy the resale without any rush, and use the $5k difference to book a cash trip at the Poly, eat signature every day, and buy park tickets. And get the SSR points resale for my next trip, after the eight month out plans are past.

Or stay at a moderate or offsite in eight months, and bank that money.

My point is that you're proposing to spend a lot of money for essentially nothing. Consider what else you could do with $5k, before throwing it away.

Last edited by Msmithmd; 08-11-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

We often debate on whether to buy extra points or do a point transfer to allow our points to stretch further. So far math has always worked out such that it makes sense to do a point transfer...

Last year I transferred in 200 VGC points so I even was able to take the edge of with the home resort advantage I needed this year...

Not knowing how many points you have that you are adding too I wasn't able to see if your math would be similar or of every year you would also need the extra 100 points vs some only really need 50, but the math is probably worth it!
cel_disney is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

DVC doesn't do a good job supporting point transfers. They don't show up in your account, you can't use them when booking online and MS often has trouble accessing them a applying them correctly to reservations.

We used a point transfer once and due to MS issues we lost our reservation.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
DVC doesn't do a good job supporting point transfers. They don't show up in your account, you can't use them when booking online and MS often has trouble accessing them a applying them correctly to reservations.

We used a point transfer once and due to MS issues we lost our reservation.

Bill
I was prepared for some difficulty here but the only part that is hard is picking the right use ear for a transfer to avoid dealing with MS being confused about the weird period of time when my use year and the transfer use year don't overlap. I figure that for decades we didn't have online booking and since I used my transfer for an 11 month window I wasn't that concerned about the hour that I lost (infact, I waited a week I think?). Overall - for a point insurgence into my account (basically one years worth of points), I will probably do it again...
cel_disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwereindisney View Post
i know this topic has been covered in depth but still having trouble deciding which way to go for add on and DH can't take my talking about it anymore

need to add on probably in the range of 100 to 150 points. very tempted to buy a resale contract as there is no question the prices are better. i am still considering buying direct though for the following reasons: i will need to use the points soon - within the next 8 months. also i would like to pay in full over financing and adding on through disney would allow me to do it in smaller increments over time without having to have a huge amount of cash available at once. on the other hand, buying from disney means a higher overall price.

i realize this is a personal decision but wondering if anyone weighed these same considerations and how you came down on the decision? thanks in advance!
As you noted, it's been discussed a lot lately. Given your stated info, you'd be better off taking your chances on the resale and hoping you could use them for the trip in 8 months. Even if you can't,you'd still come out ahead with resale even if you have to pay cash for that given trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: