Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

1st haircut question

OK, I am going to preface this by stating that I am absolutely aware that this is silly and absolutely a first world problem.

I always wanted my child to have their first haircut at the barbershop on Main Street. Well, my DS is finally starting to get a lot of hair and DH and I have booked our first Disney Cruise in October 2014 when DS will be 2y8mon and likely very much in need of a haircut.

We had originally planned to do a 4 night on the Dream on 10/4/14. We were thinking of doing a few days in WDW after the cruise using our DVC points and get his haircut then. Which was not ideal, given the on board pictures would be with our long haired hippy looking kiddo and three days at WDW after a relaxing cruise somewhat negates the "relaxing" part of the cruise.

However, I started looking at the cost of that few days after the cruise (rental car, food, upgrading our DL APs to Premier) and I started to wonder if we shouldn't just do the 7 day on the Fantasy. And there are many pros to doing this...but one of the cons is that we wouldn't be able to do the haircut on Main Street (see, I said it was silly). I've always wanted this for my kiddo.

So I was thinking...do they do anything special for first haircuts on the Fantasy? They have a barber, right? Maybe if they do something on board, it would still be special?

This would be so much easier if they had the barbershop on Main Street in Disneyland since we go there all the time.

Thanks in advance,

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaboo27 View Post
OK, I am going to preface this by stating that I am absolutely aware that this is silly and absolutely a first world problem.

I always wanted my child to have their first haircut at the barbershop on Main Street. Well, my DS is finally starting to get a lot of hair and DH and I have booked our first Disney Cruise in October 2014 when DS will be 2y8mon and likely very much in need of a haircut.

We had originally planned to do a 4 night on the Dream on 10/4/14. We were thinking of doing a few days in WDW after the cruise using our DVC points and get his haircut then. Which was not ideal, given the on board pictures would be with our long haired hippy looking kiddo and three days at WDW after a relaxing cruise somewhat negates the "relaxing" part of the cruise.

However, I started looking at the cost of that few days after the cruise (rental car, food, upgrading our DL APs to Premier) and I started to wonder if we shouldn't just do the 7 day on the Fantasy. And there are many pros to doing this...but one of the cons is that we wouldn't be able to do the haircut on Main Street (see, I said it was silly). I've always wanted this for my kiddo.

So I was thinking...do they do anything special for first haircuts on the Fantasy? They have a barber, right? Maybe if they do something on board, it would still be special?

This would be so much easier if they had the barbershop on Main Street in Disneyland since we go there all the time.

Thanks in advance,
The only barber onboard is in the Senses Spa & Salon. And the Spa & Salon is adult (18 and over) only.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The only barber onboard is in the Senses Spa & Salon. And the Spa & Salon is adult (18 and over) only.
Well.... the Fantasy does have the Chill Spa, but even so, I don't think it is for kids. Just teens.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmit002 View Post
Well.... the Fantasy does have the Chill Spa, but even so, I don't think it is for kids. Just teens.
Yes, but it's only spa services, no salon (barber) services:
•Acne Attack Facial – oxygen and deep cleansing help you battle blemishes
•Heavenly Massage – a relaxing, muscle-melting back massage
•Hot Chocolate Wrap – a massage and a delicious, soothing body wrap with antioxidants
•Surfer's Scrub – an invigorating exfoliating treatment with fresh lime, lemon and ginger
•Ice Cream Manicure and Pedicure – yummy ingredients give hands and feet a sweet treat

And, as you noted, "designed exclusively for teen Guests ages 13 through 17"

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...lon/chill-spa/

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

OP, can you come into WDW a day before sailing just to go to MK and get his haircut before whichever cruise you decide on?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, but it's only spa services, no salon (barber) services:
•Acne Attack Facial – oxygen and deep cleansing help you battle blemishes
•Heavenly Massage – a relaxing, muscle-melting back massage
•Hot Chocolate Wrap – a massage and a delicious, soothing body wrap with antioxidants
•Surfer's Scrub – an invigorating exfoliating treatment with fresh lime, lemon and ginger
•Ice Cream Manicure and Pedicure – yummy ingredients give hands and feet a sweet treat

And, as you noted, "designed exclusively for teen Guests ages 13 through 17"

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...lon/chill-spa/
Click on the Treatment Offerings tab and you will see two options for hair styling/cutting. (Obviously, this was something I needed to find out previously )

In any case, it doesn't apply to the OP's concern and sadly, she'll just have to have it done elsewhere.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
pikaboo27

Thank you everyone for your responses. In regards to coming in early and going then, we are planning to come in the day before but won't be to the WDW area (where we will be staying one night on DVC points before we have to go to the terminal the next morning) until after the barbershop closes. We could go the next morning depending on opening hours, but then we would have to pay something like $95 each for MK tickets for my husband and myself. $200 is kind of a lot to pay for a haircut and we wouldn't have time to do anything else before heading to Port Canaveral.

So, I think we will switch to the Fantasy (it just makes sense) and I will just have to figure something else out for his first haircut.

Thanks again,

Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I know it's not the same but you could always do his first Disney haircut on another trip. My son has had a few haircuts at the barber shop. (Usually when I notice how shaggy he is halfway through our vacation.)

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
pikaboo27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
I know it's not the same but you could always do his first Disney haircut on another trip. My son has had a few haircuts at the barber shop. (Usually when I notice how shaggy he is halfway through our vacation.)
Actually, that is a really good idea. There is no reason we couldn't have his first DISNEY haircut when we go to WDW for a week in 2016. That's a wonderful way to look at it. Thank you!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaboo27 View Post
Actually, that is a really good idea. There is no reason we couldn't have his first DISNEY haircut when we go to WDW for a week in 2016. That's a wonderful way to look at it. Thank you!
We did this! DD was 5 on her first visit to WDW and she got a "first" haircut then! Actually, she was tiny and had been virtually bald until 4 yrs old so only about 3 trims at home prior anyway. It's now become a tradition for her to get a haircut on every trip. No reason not to do it on his first visit to the World!

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: