Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

The issue here is, it's written a bit ambiguously. It's not real clear whether the phrase "issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born" refers to both the original AND the copy as having to be issued by the Vital Records Department, or if the original is the one that must be issued and a copy of this original (photocopy) is OK.

And, yes the CBP people are the ones that can say yes or no. But it's also not uncommon for cruiselines to have stricter requirements than the government.
It IS unclear. I only have a notarized copy of my record of birth abroad, not a "certified" copy. But it was sufficient to get me a passport 15 years ago. I guess it's not anymore? Good thing I have my passport already!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
It IS unclear. I only have a notarized copy of my record of birth abroad, not a "certified" copy. But it was sufficient to get me a passport 15 years ago. I guess it's not anymore? Good thing I have my passport already!
Have you tried to renew your drivers license in Florida yet? Good luck they want so much info now including a birth certificate.
Weedy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post

Have you tried to renew your drivers license in Florida yet? Good luck they want so much info now including a birth certificate.
I did and they accepted my passport as legal proof of citizenship, etc. (phew!). That plus my SSN did the trick and I now have a gold star (yay!). I haven't EVER had a copy of my BC (since it would be useless) and haven't used my record of birth abroad since getting my passport. And before that it hadn't been used since registering for middle school, which was fun. Apparently our registrar couldn't grasp the idea that I was a US citizen and was from birth.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
FlyTriPacer
Mouseketeer

Photocopy of State Issued Birth Certificate for Kids

We leave for FL in 15 days for our cruise in 16 days. We're taking a photocopy of the state issued BC and I'm bring a print out of from the DCL website that says a photocopy is adequate. If it says it, they'll have a tough time denying boarding. I'd rather leave the state issued in the fire safe at home...

CAVU
FlyTriPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTriPacer View Post
We leave for FL in 15 days for our cruise in 16 days. We're taking a photocopy of the state issued BC and I'm bring a print out of from the DCL website that says a photocopy is adequate. If it says it, they'll have a tough time denying boarding. I'd rather leave the state issued in the fire safe at home...
The problem isn't really boarding, though. It's the customs authority at the end. But if you're willing to deal with the hassle they *might* give you, then go for it. Is there a reason why you don't/can't obtain certified copies? (I know I haven't because its pretty expensive and takes a while for a record of birth abroad. But it's a matter of a few $$ and an hour or less of waiting to go to vital stats for my kids.)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Even though I want to do this "just because", I have to ask you WHY? Why do you want to keep the first certified copy of the BC at home? Why not use it for one of its purposes?

I'm on the THIRD certified copy of my BC, because the first two disintegrated. And that third one is in pretty sad shape. I try not to breathe on it, LOL. But should it die, it's an internet order, phone call, or trip to San Francisco County away. Plus about $18.

So I wonder why you don't want to bring the first certified copy of their BC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The issue here is, it's written a bit ambiguously. It's not real clear whether the phrase "issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born" refers to both the original AND the copy as having to be issued by the Vital Records Department, or if the original is the one that must be issued and a copy of this original (photocopy) is OK.
Agreed.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellmama View Post
Actually, DCL's information says that a photocopy IS fine, but I'm personally not convinced that that's true.

Under "Required documents for US citizens" at
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...documentation/

With the exception of the state issued birth certificate, photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable. Hospital issued birth certificates are not acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the U.S.
Where does it say a "photocopy" is fine? I see that it says except for state issued (which as pointed out numerous times, all BC's in our hands are technically state issued copies), it says photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable.

I wonder why anyone would spend thousands of dollars for a vacation only to take the chance with photocopies of their BC and risk being denied boarding. The state issued copies you have are not the original and can be obtained fairly easily from your state if they get damaged or lost. So why not take them?

I travel with my passport all the time now but I definitely had my state issued BC for my first two cruises. I understand that a family can't always afford to go out and get passports for the entire family when they don't have plans to use them again (especially since children's passports are only good for five years) but replacing a BC if lost are destroyed is not that expensive.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
Where does it say a "photocopy" is fine? I see that it says except for state issued (which as pointed out numerous times, all BC's in our hands are technically state issued copies), it says photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable.
And that's where it is unacceptably blurry.

YOU see that to mean "the photocopies issued by the state".

Many of us see it to mean "YOU can make a photocopy of the BC issued by the state".

To you, my version sounds ridiculous. To me, it's vice versa. I don't even see how you can get that (though I can see what you are getting from it), because my understanding of it is so obvious to me.

It's unacceptably blurry on their part. It's why I feel like doing it (with my passport in my pocket should it not work) just to see. But I won't; it's just something I WANT to do. And I wouldn't do it if I were traveling with others.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
This is from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...loop%20cruises

These are the people that could say no to you boarding your cruise.
They are actually the people who say you can't GET OFF the cruise! Even if DCL allows you to board, you have to show the documents to get off and clear customs. Of course DCL has an interest in only letting those on the ship who can someday get off, so it's likely they won't let you on if you can't get off.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #25
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why? Why do you need a state issued copy at home if you'll never take it out for any reason? THIS is the reason you have it, to use instead of your passport.

I think you are going to be wishing you'd brought the 'state issued copy' if you are watching the ship sail away without you. DCL doesn't control immigration and customs and DCL can't make them let you through customs if you don't have the right documents. ICE agents don't care that DCL published information that isn't correct or that you thought you only needed to make a copy of a copy.

I really don't like to fight with DCL clerks or customs agents, and that's why I have a passport. Like someone above said, it got me my Florida driver's license and car registration, they got my kids into school, I can use it when starting a new job. I love my passport. I keep it in the fireproof safe at home - except when I need to take it out to use it!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: