Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

Pregnant and cruising

Hi there so we are cruising in about a month and a half. And we found out yesterday that we are having our first baby just curious if anybody cruised during the first trimester and how did it go?

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!

Take ginger suckers for morning sickness.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry that I don't have any experience to share with you, but congratulations!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Krs1300
Mouseketeer

Plan to take lots of naps!! I was SO tired during my first trimester! We are cruising next month too... Sept. 1st on the Dream.

Congratulations!!
Krs1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Twofebboys
I wish I was going....

With both if my boys I had to eat small snacks all day or I felt sick. This does not mean that you can stuff yourself silly. (It would be easy on a cruise.) I found that if I ate too much or too little I would feel sick. I guess there is a fine balance. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

OUR FAMILY: ME, DH, DS9 & DS 7
~ MONARCH OF THE SEAS - 2001 - Honeymoon!
~ ALL-STAR MOVIES RESORT - 2007 - DS9 & Grandparents!
~ ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT - 2009 - DS9, DS7 & Grandparents!
~ CORNADO SPRINGS - 2013 - All four of us!
~ DISNEY MAGIC - APRIL 2014!

Twofebboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

I echo the naps! I cruised at 22 weeks and everyone was so accommodating. Also mention to your OB about the cruise. I had mine write a quick note to tell them I was healthy and at least they would be aware if I had to call about any issues when on vacation. Those prego pops helped with my first. Sea bands potentially. Lots and lots of water. Oh and ask the steward for more pillows to prop up your back/side if needed. Have a wonderful cruise/baby moon!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
byejou
Mouseketeer

First off Congratulations. You need to find a cute shirt saying future Disney Cruiser onboard!!! Rest and lots of water to stay hydrated. Pack some of those plain, original goldfish crackers in the blue bag. They hold up better in luggage than saltines in case you feel sick. I don't believe Ginger Ale is at the beverage station so if you can pack a few plastic bottles in you carry-on. Also, if mornings seem tough on your stomach, order dry toast from room service to nibble on while getting ready in the morning. I myself had a super sensitive nose, so maybe pack an air freshener for your stateroom. Unless you have a veranda, the rooms can get stuffy. Oh, no seafood. Sit back, relax and enjoy. You know the saying....Having a baby changes everything!!!!!

DL 88 CBR 96 CSR 98 BWV 05 Wonder 07 WDW/SW 07 Wonder 08 CR/Wonder 09
BCV/Dream 11 FW/AKV 12 : FW 12 Dream/OKW/VB 13 SSR 14 OKW/WLV 14
byejou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
deanimal
DIS Veteran

We cruised to Alaska when I was 10 weeks pregnant and had a great time. It wasn't exactly relaxing since we had our 9 month old daughter along, but at least I had a week of someone else cooking for me and making my bed every day! My biggest concern was morning sickness since I had it quite bad with my first pregnancy, but it was no worse on the ship than it was at home. I love to indulge in lots of treats when I cruise and I did sort of have to give that up since I found I was really prone to feeling bloated and uncomfortable if I overindulged. I agree that lots of small meals is the way to go and don't feel guilty about having a few bites and leaving the rest if you need to. Naps, water and extra pillows are all good things too. Have a great cruise!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Belleluvswdw
Mouseketeer

Having the same exciting issue. Plus, I have been deathly ill with morning sickness and tried ALL natural remedies, ginger, crackers, preggo pops, etc. with zero results. Panicked, I talked to my OB and she advised I try OTC Bonine - the motion sickness med! We bring it on cruises all the time just in case of rough waters. It is considered safe for pregnant women and is the ONLY thing that has worked. I can now function through a day without getting sick and am excited about cruising again in just a couple weeks - and 13 weeks pregnant!

My OB is also giving me a copy of my record at my next appt. just in case I need it.

So if you have any issues with M/S, and find nothing is helping, please ask your OB about Bonine.
Belleluvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I cruised at about 5 minutes pregnant (OK, conception was the week before, so officially "3 weeks" but come on...and yes we, especially DH, could tell by the massive changes in chest size, big blue veins popping up, and utter exhaustion) and it changed all of my plans for the cruise.

I was passed out by 8pm every night, which meant DH was on his own. We're both natural night owls and we were both sad. I can't remember if DCL has a midnight buffet, but RCCL did, and I missed it. Did I mention it was a chocolate buffet? DH kept trying to wake me but I wouldn't stir. I had looked forward to this buffet for a year as I planned our wedding and honeymoon (wedding was a week before the cruise!). For 2-ish days I tried to convince myself that normal humans wouldn't even KNOW about the pregnancy for weeks so I could have my Mango Tango rum drinks that I'd looked forward to for a year, but then they just didn't even taste or FEEL good to me. I didn't feel right or good sitting in the hot tub.

As the week went on I heated up to furnace level, to the point where we almost asked our cabin steward to separate the beds into twins (I don't think you can do this on DCL) because I was keeping DH up I was so hot. Normally I'm an icicle while sleeping.

There was ONE day that I was physically ill, but it was also the morning we left the Inside Passage to go to open water for a glacier, and it was much rockier. This was an Alaskan cruise, obviously. I will never know if it was the teensy little embryo that was already having such a huge effect on me, or the bumpy water.

I wore Sea Bands. I did not know about ginger, and in 2003 I hadn't heard of the prego pops (started seeing them in stores when DS was around 1). I chose the "eat until my stomach isn't queasy" method, and not only did that NOT work, but I gained a whole bunch.

Oh and my dresses didn't work for the cruise. I instantly could not stand to have waistbands touching my waist, so the nylons I brought for my formal gown nearly made me insane, and my other dresses just felt too tight. Since I was so hot, I felt like I was sweating and red-faced all the time, so my pictures at dinners didn't make me happy. Only pictures taken of me on the cruise that I kept were when we were outside in the cooler Alaska air.

All in all, it changed EVERYTHING about the cruise for me! And this was literally a week post-conception, when most wouldn't have even known about it. So...don't be me while on a cruise, LOL. I hope YOUR cruise goes much better.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: