Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
NAVIGATOR -> in relation to a Disney cruise ...

nav·i·ga·tor - The person that plots the course of the ship... knows how to safely get from Port A to Port B

Navigator Veranda - A type of outside deck, that is enclosed on all sides, but does have a large open porthole to the sea.

Personal Navigator - There's NOTHING "Personal" about it - the same one goes to everyone - or at least almost everyone. It is the "menu" of the days scheduled activities, dinning theme, restaurant times form breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Highlights the main entertainment for all age groups for the day. Most importantly, it has the "TV Guide" listing "Hour by Hour" (or 30 or 45 minute intervals as applicable) of the activities - by "age group".
Some ancient DCL history Trivia.....when DCL first started the Navigators were PERSONALLY geared to each person. It had your name and stateroom # on it and all YOUR personal choices for activities/excursions on it for each day of the cruise. You picked your activities/excursions (limited) before sailing and a printed navigator was delivered to your cabin for the whole cruise. It was quite cumbersome and didn't last too long. Back then there were not too many activities to choose from and it seemed it was very hard to keep up with so many individualized Navigators. I still have ours from the Magic MV hanging around somewhere.

Also, in the early days of DCL there was no Cruise Director. They did have cruise staff but not in the capacity that they do now (MCing all the events, etc.)

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

mmouse - that is very interesting. And I can see how it would get to be very cumbersome (and prone to error) as the number of cruisers / rooms filled increased over time.

Our first cruise was August 1999 (13 months after your MV cruise).

I don't think they were "personal" at that point and I think that Rick was our cruise director and he was the "host" for the main stage shows. Second cruise in 2002 was Jim (now shore side entertainment director i think)
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post

Gotcha. I was just confused because a lot of people made it sound like they didn't get theirs until after they boarded - and even had to "find" one. But a lot of others talk about looking at it in the terminal and making decisions about mixology, etc. and going immediately to sign up.
Yes - we do this - review our Navigator during embarkation lunch then book the necessary stuff. It may depend on what time you arrive? We've never arrived later than 11:15am and are always in one of the first groups to board.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
We got ours when we checked in at the port. I'm wondering based on all the "pick one up" comments if that is just a concierge thing though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Not just a concierge thing - they are laying in several places at the port and there is someone handing them out as you board.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Good to know. It was all a serious blur for us. We were concierge and took the DCL bus from the resort, extended family drove in and were onboard for nearly 2 hours before we got there, I was disappointed that we weren't there, etc etc. I barely remember the terminal and then being shunted through the "side" door to get to the picture area (you don't go through the Mickey entrance when you're in concierge) was another blur, etc etc. We were greeted by extended family and then had to rush off to the lounge.

Just a big blur and I feel I missed a lot, including where we got the first day's info! I know my cousins got a map of the ship with info on it that we never got.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: