Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Meekins
Earning My Ears

Our long range showed rain in Juneau and Ketchikan before we left, and cloud the other days...but the actual weather was clear and sunny on the cloud-predicted days, it did not rain in Juneau (it was not sunny, but it was grey and dry) and it did rain in Ketchikan, but not until later in the day and it was more of a mist than a rain. I honestly don't think long range for Alaska is possible - you just get what you get and even if it is raining when you wake up...it might stop soon after. It definitely won't ruin your trip as all previous posters have said - enjoy Alaska!
Meekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
OK, so I know I'm neurotic but I'm leaving this Monday for my Alaskan cruise on the Wonder and I've been looking at the long range weather forecast for Skagway, Juneau, and Ketichikan and all 3 days we'll be there they are predicting clouds and showers. I'm so bummed out. I'm looking for words of encouragement from others who've had to deal with the rain on their Alaskan cruise. Please someone - tell me it will be OK and make me feel better
Went 8/16/13 Alaskan on DCL and we had rain every port....we still had a fabulous time. We just packed accordingly and went out and did our excursions in the rain.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

If you are already discouraged before your cruise than I'm worried that you will let this ruin your cruise. Please don't let it. Stop worrying about the weather. This is normal for Alaska. Its the rain that makes it so beautiful, so green and fresh smelling. It is AMAZING there with or with out rain. If I didn't go to Alaska because it was raining I would never had seen a huge pod of whales, mountain goats, a bear sitting right above the shopping area in Juneau, a HUGE grizzly swimming, yes swimming, in front of our ship at Glacier Bay from one side of the bay to the other, Bald eagles, seals, amazing waterfalls and so much more. Please don't let the rain affect anything. You will have an amazing time.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
doriemg
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!!!!! You guys are so great! I really feel much better. I'm excited to get out there now and go. One of my chief worries about the weather was in Juneau we're supposed to do a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier and I'm afraid it will be cancelled due to the weather. In Ketchikan we're doing a float plane trip with Michelle at Island Wings - same concern about the weather cancelling it. Either way we're prepared though. I bought ponchos for the whole family but I also have sunscreen. And of course, bug spray. Gotta repel those nasty mosquitoes. My poor son gets eaten alive. He's like the Palo of the bug world So if the excursions do get cancelled then we'll be fine and we'll just do something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
(I actually have a "sun" song I sing and it ALWAYS brings out the sun-when are you going? I'll sing it for your cruise!)
Thanks EeyoreIsMyName. I'm counting on you. And thanks again to everyone for cheering me up.
doriemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much to everyone who responded!!!!! You guys are so great! I really feel much better. I'm excited to get out there now and go. One of my chief worries about the weather was in Juneau we're supposed to do a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier and I'm afraid it will be cancelled due to the weather. In Ketchikan we're doing a float plane trip with Michelle at Island Wings - same concern about the weather cancelling it. Either way we're prepared though. I bought ponchos for the whole family but I also have sunscreen. And of course, bug spray. Gotta repel those nasty mosquitoes. My poor son gets eaten alive. He's like the Palo of the bug world So if the excursions do get cancelled then we'll be fine and we'll just do something else.

Thanks EeyoreIsMyName. I'm counting on you. And thanks again to everyone for cheering me up.
No problem! I've got you covered! My best advice is to take the raingear on your excursions-it only rains when you don't have it!!

Headed your way--(that's me singing the "sun" song) (one for each day!).

EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

The Alaska weather, 60s and showers is still better than most of the rest of the country in the Summer, 80s-90s and very humid. I don't think I could last more than a few days in Florida with that humidity.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
The Alaska weather, 60s and showers is still better than most of the rest of the country in the Summer, 80s-90s and very humid. I don't think I could last more than a few days in Florida with that humidity.
Definitely. Alaska's summers are sooo much better than Florida's.

When we were in Ketchikan the end of May we got a few sprinkles, more of a light mist, not even worth opening an umbrella for, and we overheard another tourist whining about the lousy weather. We don't get much rain around here, so we enjoy it whenever and wherever we can get it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

We had rain/drizzle almost everyday on our HAL cruise. It did not spoil the cruise at all. Just pack for it and go have fun!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

We had such low cloud coverage in Juneau on our July 8th sailing , that our dog sledding got cancelled. We booked in port a whale watching and glacier tour. We were soooo bummed. Had it planned and booked since January!!! Oh we'll, what could we do?

Funny thing is the forecast before leaving Vancouver , was sunshine! I want to know where that went!

Skagway we has light misting rain as we went up into the Yukon. It was still great taking.

Ketchikan was cloudy but ended up misting rain by afternoon. We did misty fjords and it was breath taking as well.

Tracy arm was clear and so was all out other sea days. So , I can't complain.

I just say we will just have to return to do our dog sledding glacier tour!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

As a side note, I was pleasantly surprised to see in Juneau upon our exiting the ship, DCL provided rain ponchos for no additional charge. However they were not offering them in port on other days. I came prepared with hats, gloves, ponchos, rain boots, you name it, I had it. And it may not have been raining when I left the ship or cold, but it was nice to have it when and if I needed it.

Our Tracy arm day started out blustery but by mid afternoon we were down to shirts and jeans! Definitely, layer, layers, layers is key in all ports!

Even in Juneau on our not so happy day. We decided to skip the dining room and eat dinner in beach blanket for the great views! Cloudy and all it was simply amazing!

Have a wonderful cruise. I wish I was going again!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #26
Tiggrou
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That's funny, because I'll be on this cruise too and I'm so anxious about what to pack! And about my Juneau excursion to be cancelled as we took the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier!

I hope we will have a great weather on this fanastic cruise!
Tiggrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
doriemg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggrou View Post
That's funny, because I'll be on this cruise too and I'm so anxious about what to pack! And about my Juneau excursion to be cancelled as we took the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier!

I hope we will have a great weather on this fanastic cruise!
Woohoo Tiggrou - Only 4 days to go! It's going to be an awesome trip. Keep positive thoughts that our helicopter tours won't get cancelled. By the way, you're lucky you got the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier excursion. It was sold out when I tried to book it. See you in Vancouver.

Thanks again to everyone!
doriemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Went 8/16/13 Alaskan on DCL and we had rain every port....we still had a fabulous time. We just packed accordingly and went out and did our excursions in the rain.

MJ
Wow! You already took this cruise, MJ? Time Traveler!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: