Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
hrice
Earning My Ears

Ground transportation on Caribbean port excursions?

We are going to do the dolphin excursion and have young children that still require car/booster seats. Is transport station via bus? Taxi? I want to be sure I bring seats if needed.

Thanks!
hrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrice View Post
We are going to do the dolphin excursion and have young children that still require car/booster seats. Is transport station via bus? Taxi? I want to be sure I bring seats if needed.

Thanks!
Generally transportation on excursion is on a bus (or sometimes an open-air trolley/bus sort of vehicle). Many taxis/private cars do not have the necessary seat belts for fastening a car seat.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
hrice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

Generally transportation on excursion is on a bus (or sometimes an open-air trolley/bus sort of vehicle). Many taxis/private cars do not have the necessary seat belts for fastening a car seat.
Thank you for your response.

The taxi situation sounds scary. When you say there aren't the necessary seat belts do you mean there are NO seat belts or are they normally not functioning properly? As long as there is a working seat belt you can install a seat (may need a locking clip if the belt doesn't lock).
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

The taxi situation sounds scary. When you say there aren't the necessary seat belts do you mean there are NO seat belts or are they normally not functioning properly? As long as there is a working seat belt you can install a seat (may need a locking clip if the belt doesn't lock).
There may or may not be seatbelts.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks!
Which specific port(s) are you wondering about?
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
hrice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommyx3 View Post

Which specific port(s) are you wondering about?
Cozumel
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Cozumel
My family did the dolphin discovery excursion in Cozumel through DCL in February. Both taxis we were directed to (ride to park & ride back to ship) were pretty new vans full of working seat belts. The lap belts were hidden under a blanket that the driver had placed on the bench seats, but we easily got them out and used them.

My girls were 8,6, and 3 at the time. The younger 2 used these:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-S...ide+safer+vest

I know they are expensive but I found ours on ebay for about 1/2 the price and they were in great condition.

Our oldest, who is only 1 inch away from not needing a booster anymore, used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Fit-Seat-...eat+belt+guide

I know a lot of people don't worry about restraining kids in foreign countries that don't have seatbelt laws but we weren't comfortable with that. The drive to the park is several miles from the ship (10+ if I remember correctly) and I wasn't that impressed with our taxi driver's driving skills. It was not a risk we were willing to take.

Granted, we drove to port so it was not a big deal for us to bring these along as they completely took up a small carry on size suitcase.

I have heard that a lot of taxis in Cozumel may not have working seat belts but I was prepared to pass on any that did not and wait until one came a long that did. Luckily we did not have to do this.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
hrice
Earning My Ears

Quote:

My family did the dolphin discovery excursion in Cozumel through DCL in February. Both taxis we were directed to (ride to park & ride back to ship) were pretty new vans full of working seat belts. The lap belts were hidden under a blanket that the driver had placed on the bench seats, but we easily got them out and used them.

My girls were 8,6, and 3 at the time. The younger 2 used these:

I know they are expensive but I found ours on ebay for about 1/2 the price and they were in great condition.

Our oldest, who is only 1 inch away from not needing a booster anymore, used this:

I know a lot of people don't worry about restraining kids in foreign countries that don't have seatbelt laws but we weren't comfortable with that. The drive to the park is several miles from the ship (10+ if I remember correctly) and I wasn't that impressed with our taxi driver's driving skills. It was not a risk we were willing to take.

Granted, we drove to port so it was not a big deal for us to bring these along as they completely took up a small carry on size suitcase.

I have heard that a lot of taxis in Cozumel may not have working seat belts but I was prepared to pass on any that did not and wait until one came a long that did. Luckily we did not have to do this.
Thanks! That is a great help!

I am a certified child passenger safety technician so proper restraints for my kids are very important to me. Terrible things can happen anywhere...even on vacation!

The travel vest is a good idea. It does require a lap and shoulder belt which would be an issue in older taxis with lap only belts. I guess I will just have to be prepared to wait if I need to refuse a cab and wait for another.

By the way, I do want to let you know that the seat belt adjustor you used is not safe. It actually does the opposite of what it is needed to make the seatbelt fit properly. Boosters are intended to position the lap belt low on a child's hips. That seat belt adjustor pulls the lap belt up onto the abdomen which causes severe injuries to the soft tissue and vital abdominal organs in a crash. I wish that damn thing wasn't on the market. It's a lie and deadly. :/

Anywho...thank you everyone for your replies. They have been very helpful!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks! That is a great help!

I am a certified child passenger safety technician so proper restraints for my kids are very important to me. Terrible things can happen anywhere...even on vacation!

The travel vest is a good idea. It does require a lap and shoulder belt which would be an issue in older taxis with lap only belts. I guess I will just have to be prepared to wait if I need to refuse a cab and wait for another.

By the way, I do want to let you know that the seat belt adjustor you used is not safe. It actually does the opposite of what it is needed to make the seatbelt fit properly. Boosters are intended to position the lap belt low on a child's hips. That seat belt adjustor pulls the lap belt up onto the abdomen which causes severe injuries to the soft tissue and vital abdominal organs in a crash. I wish that damn thing wasn't on the market. It's a lie and deadly. :/

Anywho...thank you everyone for your replies. They have been very helpful!
Wow, thanks for letting me know about that adjustor. I had no idea. Luckily that was the only time we used it and I didn't spend much money on it. In hindsight I should have just put her in the middle with only a lap belt. That is what I will do in the future. The vests do require a shoulder belt, and both taxi vans we rode in had 3 benches, so 5 shoulder belts. Most taxis that I saw looked similar to ours, so I don't think you would have to wait too long to get one.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
hrice
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Wow, thanks for letting me know about that adjustor. I had no idea. Luckily that was the only time we used it and I didn't spend much money on it. In hindsight I should have just put her in the middle with only a lap belt. That is what I will do in the future. The vests do require a shoulder belt, and both taxi vans we rode in had 3 benches, so 5 shoulder belts. Most taxis that I saw looked similar to ours, so I don't think you would have to wait too long to get one.
That is reassuring to hear your experience. Thanks again!

As for lap only belts those are not safe either which is why you almost never see them in newer vehicles. Without the upper torso restrained by a shoulder belt it's left to flail around.

There are two types of injury associated with using a lap only belt:
Head and/or neck injury. This is caused when the individual is thrown forward and has no upper body restraint. They continue moving forward until they are stopped by something. Many times, it is the head that contacts the interior of the vehicle - dashboard, front seats, consoles, door frames, even the floor of the vehicle or the individual's knees. The injuries can be severe brain trauma from impacting something at a high rate of speed, cuts, abrasions, skull fractures, broken neck, jaw fractures, orbital fractures, etc. The neck can also be severely injured including the spinal cord being severed. The spinal cord is not able to be stretched beyond a certain point. In frontal crashes, a lap only belt will hold the lower body in place, but the heavy head will pull the upper body forward at a high rate. If the head does not contact anything to stop the rapid forward motion, the neck will eventually stop the head, but the force of this will stretch the neck bones, muscles and even the spinal cord - often beyond it's limit. Children and adults both have been paralyzed or killed in this manner - their spinal cord simply wasn't capable of stretching enough to withstand the crash force.
Seat Belt Syndrome. Seat Belt Syndrome, or SBS, is a phrase that was originally coined by the medical community in the late 1950s and early 1960s to describe injuries that physicians were seeing as a result of occupants wearing lap-belt-only restraints in frontal collisions. These injuries typically include: (1) severe abdominal injuries, (2) fractures of the lumbar spine, and (3) serious closed head and facial injuries. These injuries are primarily the result of the occupant's body jackknifing over the lap belt, at the waist, during the collision. Under such circumstances, the lap belt causes extreme force to be applied along the pelvis to the mid-section of the occupant. Securing the waist without securing the upper torso leads to increased head and neck velocities, which can cause serious head and neck injuries following either a head strike or inertial loading of the spine. A majority of these injuries can be prevented by the installation of an integrated three-point belt or other upper-torso restraint.

If you made it through all that thanks lol. It's not commonly known how dangerous lap only restraints are.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. This is all stuff I definitely want to know! I guess next time I am bringing the booster seat too!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
hrice
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to explain that. This is all stuff I definitely want to know! I guess next time I am bringing the booster seat too!
No problem. Next time you go on a trip or just have a car seat related question head over to car-seat.org and post! It's a great and very helpful community of safety advocates. (And no lynch mobs like on other boards lol)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: