DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Is it just selective memory or are resale prices way up?

Just curious if I am the only one who thinks resale prices are way up this year. I was also wondering has it turned to more of a sellers market where you need to offer closer to asking?

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck888 View Post
Just curious if I am the only one who thinks resale prices are way up this year. I was also wondering has it turned to more of a sellers market where you need to offer closer to asking?
They are up this year, but have been higher in the past. There is a lot of competition for contracts.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Asking prices are higher across the board for all of the resorts that we have bought resale in the past. For instance we bought BLT earlier this year for $96, and I see prices listed at $100 now. We're finished adding on, resale, we have the older resorts we want to own. I am on the fence over VGF, just deciding if the cost is worth the convenience of owning there.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

We bought three years ago at $72 pp (VWL), and prices are in the mid- to high $80s currently.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
DrewJB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Asking prices are higher across the board for all of the resorts that we have bought resale in the past. For instance we bought BLT earlier this year for $96, and I see prices listed at $100 now. We're finished adding on, resale, we have the older resorts we want to own. I am on the fence over VGF, just deciding if the cost is worth the convenience of owning there.
Though I would say - I don't know that many people are paying over $100 for BLT. I see several BLT properties listed at over $100, but very few of them are actually selling. Of those reporting on this board, since the start of June, 9 BLT sales have been shared and only two of those were at or over $100. I just closed a week ago for one at $90.
DrewJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
DrewJB
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
We bought three years ago at $72 pp (VWL), and prices are in the mid- to high $80s currently.
The only VWL contract sale shared with the board since the start of June was for $65 pp. Listed asking prices are not necessarily current selling prices.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJB View Post
The only VWL contract sale shared with the board since the start of June was for $65 pp. Listed asking prices are not necessarily current selling prices.
The key word being "shared." True enough, however, that listing doesn't mean selling.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I think prices are WAY up. We bought BCV one year ago at $68 per point, and a loaded contract. I'm now seeing prices in the high $80s to $90s even. YIKES.
Glad we bought when we did. I'm looking to add on a smaller contract at AKV and I'm hoping to get a decent price.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Yes prices are up. Yes it is more of a seller's market.

I still wouldn't pay some of the outrageous asking prices for the stripped contracts out there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
julie <3wdw
"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining and the end of every day"

We just offered over $100 per point at BLT a couple of days ago however the contract was absolutely loaded with points and the annual dues were already paid for. We could have offered lower but this contract versus some of the stripped contracts out there it was a no brainer. Plus it was the perfect use year/points we were looking for and by the time we sell off some of the points we will be under the $95.

julie <3wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

Prices are definitely higher than what they have been, however - I am still shocked at how low Animal Kingdom Villas is regularly sold.

When you look at the length of time that many of the new resorts have been in the market for direct sales, it really makes you wonder.
They sold SSR for at least 8 years, Animal Kingdom Villas has been for sale for at least 6, almost 7 years - yet, Bay Lake Tower sold out quickly... oh wait, scratch that. They kept telling us that it was going to sell out quickly - we received enough post cards, mailers, e-mails, etc etc that BLT would be sold out 'soon' - yet we had a referral buy at BLT in January... although they were actually almost sold out in January. But even at that, it was over 5 years of sales.

So with the VGF coming online, and the heavily rumored and "confirmed" by some DVC at the Poly, the rumored Fort Wilderness project - there are so many projects coming that the supply really is outpacing demand when you consider the number of resorts currently for sale, the number of resale contracts on the market, and the number of resorts that will be open for the next 5 years... it is really hard to tell where things are going to head.

But OP, yes, resale listing prices are way up - and compared to the number of resale contracts for sale in the depths of the recession, the competition in the market is higher.

So it is far more of a seller's market now than what it was even a year ago.
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Is there a link somewhere to the rumors about a Fort Wilderness DVC? I would love to read up on them Some of my fondest memories as a child were staying in Ft Wilderness back in the early 70's. I would so be buying in at a FW DVC location.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
DrewJB
Earning My Ears

I agree that some resorts are definitely up in price, I just think comparing what any of us on this board paid vs. asking prices is not a good comparison. Those on this board probably all tend to pay slightly less than average, so comparisons to other sales to board members makes sense. Plus - that is some of the best concrete sales data we have.

Certainly the Epcot resorts are jumping in price. Supply is low due lack of any new development in many years and there are always new buyers that would like to have a home resort that is walking distance from Epcot. There has been a lot of development around Magic Kingdom - which is continuing, but without a DVC at, say, the Yacht Club coming in to let some steam off of the demand on on BCV and BWV - those resorts are likely to keep what I would consider to be inflated values. I'd like to own at one of them, but I can't imagine buying into a 2042 resort at anywhere near the price I can buy into one expiring 20 years later. If there is any bubble happening in DVC it would be at those resorts. If people continue to pay more and more for those contracts because of the allure of an Epcot resort as that 2042 date comes closer and closer - my guess would be that at some point there is going to be a crash in that price. A Yacht Club DVC would do a lot to really bring those prices down and feed the demand in that area.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
It's important to note that in the interim prices dropped as low as $50 pp at VWL, so the increase is that much more significant.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Yes prices are up. Yes it is more of a seller's market.

I still wouldn't pay some of the outrageous asking prices for the stripped contracts out there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
I agree totally! I will just be patient and wait to add if I have to.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: