Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniy View Post
This is SO great to hear!! I am very nervous being on a ship in the middle of the ocean if something happened with peanuts.
Do you know about the soft serve ice cream? I keep hearing about it and am wondering if it is a safe food for my son?
So when you go on excursions can you still eat the cruise food?
I don't think DCL guarantees the availability of allergen-free foods on excursions.

And, I'm pretty sure the soft-serve ice cream probably isn't "safe". It's just a regular soft serve machine. But, I've read that they do have allergy-safe ice cream onboard. You'd probably need to ask for it in the buffet or MDRs.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

Very happy to hear the positive reviews about DCL's handling of food allergies. My son and I have a few food allergies but the peanut one scares me the most! Disney has always taken excellent care of us. If I cruise with anyone, it'll be Disney.
DisneyMom14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
momcloud
Mouseketeer

Do they do the same for adults? My DH has tree nut and peanut allergies.
AKL- June 2005 w/kids FW- June 1999 w/kids
FW- Sept 1995 Late Honeymoon-Oct 1989
momcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcloud View Post
Do they do the same for adults? My DH has tree nut and peanut allergies.
Be sure to have it noted on your reservation.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
j&jsmama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniy View Post
This is SO great to hear!! I am very nervous being on a ship in the middle of the ocean if something happened with peanuts.
Do you know about the soft serve ice cream? I keep hearing about it and am wondering if it is a safe food for my son?
So when you go on excursions can you still eat the cruise food?
Yes, the soft serve ice cream is safe for nut allergic people. My son is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We checked the first day on the Wonder and were so happy to have a safe dessert every day for him. It is generally the "scooped" ice cream that is more dangerous as the same scooper is often used for different types of ice cream.
j&jsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

On the classic ship DCL typically sails with about 400 guests with different food allergies. The new ships, proportionately more.

They deal with this in a very good manner for many meals per day, every day. It's very impressive.

My food allergy is that if it looks good, I want to eat it - and DCL accommodates that "issue" very well too - It All Looks good to me!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
time4dis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
On the classic ship DCL typically sails with about 400 guests with different food allergies. The new ships, proportionately more.

They deal with this in a very good manner for many meals per day, every day. It's very impressive.

My food allergy is that if it looks good, I want to eat it - and DCL accommodates that "issue" very well too - It All Looks good to me!
cool/interesting info. how'd you get it?

I also have a 'not-eat-food' allergy. I have found that looking at a menu or having a drink of the day substantially increases this reaction. wearing tight waisted pants helps sometimes to ward this off before it becomes 'too big' a problem.
time4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
tmoger
Earning My Ears

Yes, the soft self serve ice cream is safe..my nephew has a very severe but allergy and on his Fantasy cruise last year, he practically lived on it all week (by choice!)
tmoger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4dis View Post
cool/interesting info. how'd you get it?

WBPC cruise in May. Had a tablemate that has to be Gluten Free. So I got to experience what DCL does first hand. And since we had 14 nights we had lots of time to visit with crew, staff, officers of the ship. Visited many times with the Food and Beverage Manager of the Wonder. He was out and about A LOT and a very nice and friendly guy.

He said that the Magic renovations involve the kitchen areas as well as everything else that DCL has released about the changes occurring during dry dock. He stated that they will NOT be getting "a fully environmentally contained" kitchen to prepare the meals for the passengers with food allergies, but it's going to be "close".
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
jenniy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j&jsmama View Post

Yes, the soft serve ice cream is safe for nut allergic people. My son is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We checked the first day on the Wonder and were so happy to have a safe dessert every day for him. It is generally the "scooped" ice cream that is more dangerous as the same scooper is often used for different types of ice cream.
Thank you!! Yes exactly right I was just hoping it wasn't processed in peanuts etc. that will be do great to have when he can't eat other desserts! I just heard about that girl who just died from eating a peanut butter rice Krispy treat that she thought was a regular one and I just feel sick to my stomach. I'm in extra paranoid mode now!
jenniy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: