Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
katiee37
DIS Veteran

Cape May Cafe vs. Garden Grove's Friday Night Seafood Buffet?

I wanted to see how many of you all have been to both Cape May and the seafood buffet at Garden Grove and could give your opinion as to which one you preferred. Cape May Cafe is one of two restaurants to have made our list every trip, so I kind of want to keep that up, but I know Garden Grove has characters and a slightly different variety. I'm from Maryland so I know good seafood when I have it so that plays a role in my decision. I heard that Cape May has gone downhill a bit since my last trip, but I tend not to hear too much about Garden Grove, and my budget only allows for one or the other.

Thanks so much!
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

My parents have been to both and prefer the Garden Grove's seafood buffet over Cape May. Granted Cape May was one of my dad's favorite restaurants at WDW until he ate at the Garden Grove's seafood buffet. They said it was amazing and the service was outstanding. They had a late reservation and were a big party consisting of my parents, nieces, sisters and brother. The waiter gave them a bunch of items on the table like calamari, lobster tails, etc. And they didn't even pay the extra price for the lobster tails. I would definitely pick the Garden Grove over Cape May.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Did not even realize Garden Grove did a Friday Night Seafood Buffet. Anyone know where you can get more information? Nothing on the Swan's site nor on Allears.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
ExBellhop
Vice President of Spider-Man

On the Disney.com site, buried way down in the Garden Grove dinner menu, there is:

Buffet Features - Meat and Seafood
Prime Rib with Au Jus, Mussel Fra Diablo, Frutti di Mare, Snow Crab Legs, Jumbo Scallops with Wilted Greens, Bacon, and Cabernet Vinegar, Lemon Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Seafood Paella, Salmon with Tarragon Buerre Blanc, Green Beans with Shallots and Toasted Almonds

From the Kitchen - Seafood
Fried Seafood Basket with Fried Shrimp, Popcorn Shrimp, Calamari, and Hush Puppies. Stuffed Half Maine Lobster
-----

We tried Garden Grove for the first time in July, though on a Thursday (Mediterranean Night). For a buffett, which is usually not my thing, I was very happy, and ate myself happy. Desserts were also a highlight. Not very crowded, either. Impressed, but not blown away. We will return.

No trips scheduled at this time. Watch this space for new details soon!

ExBellhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
DVC Kathy
Mouseketeer

We were planning on trying the Seafood buffet this December. According to swandolphin.com, the dinner at Garden Grove is no longer a buffet. They have menus through their site. There is an all you can eat salad/soup bar, and a dessert buffet, but there are only a handful of entree choices.

DVC Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
ExBellhop
Vice President of Spider-Man

So it is. Or so it seems Weird. Literally (and for once, literally means literally) just ate there on the 4th of July as a Buffet. Ha! I will investigate - I think my brother knows the new GM at that location...

**edit**

Confirmed with GM. No more buffet as it was. Swandolphin.com is correct.

No trips scheduled at this time. Watch this space for new details soon!

Last edited by ExBellhop; 08-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.
ExBellhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Well harumph. Won't be deploying my 20% DVC discount there. Off to Fulton's.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

The Garden Grove very recently discontinued all it's buffetts.
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
disneywalkers
Mouseketeer

We found this very disappointing. I had booked this for the first time for our September trip and then received an email with the new menu and notice of the discontinue of the buffet. I had to cancel. With 6 kids and 4 adults buffets are just easier to please everyone. It may be more work for me and hubby as we don't allow our children under 13 to go up to the buffet alone so we're making a lot of trips (often they don't go at all, and we just get what we know they like), but it's still better than the choices that non buffets offer for children. My kids like to try different foods and like veggies so nuggets and fries don't work.
disneywalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Kathy View Post
We were planning on trying the Seafood buffet this December. According to swandolphin.com, the dinner at Garden Grove is no longer a buffet. They have menus through their site. There is an all you can eat salad/soup bar, and a dessert buffet, but there are only a handful of entree choices.
I received an e-mail saying the buffets were discontinued. I called to question it because the new menu they sent me did not include Fridays. The women I spoke to said the Friday night seafood buffet is staying, the other nights were discontinued. If anyone else wants to call here is the number from the e-mail:

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Swan and Dolphin dining line at 407-934-1717.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
I received an e-mail saying the buffets were discontinued. I called to question it because the new menu they sent me did not include Fridays. The women I spoke to said the Friday night seafood buffet is staying, the other nights were discontinued. If anyone else wants to call here is the number from the e-mail:

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Swan and Dolphin dining line at 407-934-1717.
They told me the same thing yesterday when I called. I'm still not convinced though.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
katiee37
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm pretty much set on Cape May now since Garden Grove seems pretty inconsistent with regard to whether it's a buffet...it'll probably be more consistent come January but at least I know Cape May is a tried and true favorite!
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

silly question...where is the garden grove?! i know where the garden grill is! never heard of the garden grove!

in terms of cape may cafe...i live in cape may NJ and that seafood is no reflection on what we have here! i wont make another ADR for that place!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeprogram01 View Post
silly question...where is the garden grove?! i know where the garden grill is! never heard of the garden grove!

in terms of cape may cafe...i live in cape may NJ and that seafood is no reflection on what we have here! i wont make another ADR for that place!
Garden Grove is at the Swan.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
stormer
DIS Veteran

If you look at the new menu it is a few set choices.there are different sides to choose from based on the day of the week except friday. The kids menu also does not list choices for friday. That is what made me call. I thought it was strange. I am hoping that means it is true that the friday seagood buffet is still on like the woman told me. I will be there in two weeks so i will report back.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: