DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Of course..."Worthless" was an exaggeration.

My point was not about whether or not to buy, just about direct prices at 2042 resorts.

VGF...150 per point...50 years...comes out to 3 dollars per point per year.

The 2042 resorts are going for 130 per point direct. That's almost 4.50 per point per year!

I am looking at BCV resale, and it seems to be in the 90's per point. That is still more per point per year than VGF direct.

Then again, we all know it is a seller's market. Value is not everything. It is supply and demand and what people will pay.

The mass consensus is that direct purchase isn't worth the premium. I was adding another point to support that assertion. (particularly at 2042 resorts)

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
Of course..."Worthless" was an exaggeration.

My point was not about whether or not to buy, just about direct prices at 2042 resorts.

VGF...150 per point...50 years...comes out to 3 dollars per point per year.

The 2042 resorts are going for 130 per point direct. That's almost 4.50 per point per year!

I bought OKW in 1997 for $50 a point. 45 years to use. $1.11 per point per year.

You paid too much.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I bought OKW in 1997 for $50 a point. 45 years to use. $1.11 per point per year.

You paid too much.
Very good deal... inflation adjusted that works out to the equivalent of only $1.61 per point per year if you were to buy the same thing today. Cummulative rate of inflation from 1997 to 2013 is 45.5%

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
One more reminder that we were idiots not to have bought in during the 90's.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
One more reminder that we were idiots not to have bought in during the 90's.
Well, hopefully people will be saying that about the 2010s in the 2020s!
(assuming I have all the points i want by then)

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
i'd think twice about this. might have issues getting everyone on the same page. also a risk if one person goes bankrupt or has financial issues - it impacts everyone.
This one.

If your parents wanted to own DVC, wouldn't they own it by now? How old is your brother, is he settled, married, kids? Is he on board. Are you married with kids? Do you intend to be.

Lets just say for instance that neither you or your brother are currently married. Five years from now, one or the other of you are married and have three adorable and wonderful children - you no longer fit in a studio and need a bigger allocation of points - what do you do? Do you split the points.

Lets say neither of you is married, but one of you gets married and their wife really isn't into Disney - but introduced her spouse to the wonder of skiing - suddenly that brother - and his wife - aren't going to use points and wants out - do you sell the whole contract (you can't sell out part) or do your parents and you eat the cost of the contract.

Sometimes people buy with other people and it works out great, but make sure that everyone is on the same page about the commitment, that you understand up front how you are going to split the use of points and the expenses, and what you are going to do as the makeup of your family changes with marriage, kids, retirement - even - but hopefully not - divorce or death.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

There is no way, NO WAY that I would get into a timeshare agreement with family. I love, love, love my parents and my MIL and trust them wholeheartedly. They would not buy a timeshare with me either. That is just something left to the individual ultimately and I am sure you can think of different scenarios where entering into a timeshare with anyone other than a spouse is not wise. However they do come on trips with us and DH and I "give" them a studio for "free" and never ask or expect payment. We love sharing DVC with them but they have nothing to do with the contract... other than screaming "YES!!" when they want to go. I give them the dates ahead and then they know that it is a done deal and only due to illness would they ever back out.

This year it's my parents turn and next May MIL is joining us. For instance I never ask my Brother or SIL to join us. They have 5 children and would require a 2 bedroom at least. I just do not have enough points for that, plus as much as I love them they are very last minute planners and generally unorganized vacationers. It works for them. I would have a nervous breakdown traveling with them. I know this so it never even comes up for discussion. One day we will see them in Disney. They will have rented points from David's and DH and I will be there on our own contract. We will meet them for ADRs.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
ellab
Earning My Ears

Yeah, I wouldn't go in with family either. They can rent points from us or come with us on our vacation.
ellab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Breyean
OKW - 1993 & VCG - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Very good deal... inflation adjusted that works out to the equivalent of only $1.61 per point per year if you were to buy the same thing today. Cummulative rate of inflation from 1997 to 2013 is 45.5%
Do you also account for the free park tickets? We bought in 1993 and went 2x each year through the end of the free pass promotion. Figure an avg of 5 park days/trip.

I'm sure that brought our cost per point down somewhat.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I agree with others that I would consider a solo purchase. Given that, I think you could buy 100 to 125 points to start and get your typical yearly trip in a studio.

Given the price on the resale market--and I would start there unless you really want VGF and then you have to go direct--you are looking at a cost of maybe $8000 to $10,000 to start, depending on resort.

If you don't have a preference for a resort, SSR will offer probably the best upfront cost with the lowest annual dues.

But, I'd continue to research and make sure that you understand DVC as it is a timeshare, which is different than booking cash stays via Disney. Booking really needs to be done much farther in advance. Most of us book 7 to 11 months ahead of time.

There are certain times of the year where this is super important. Last minute travel is not as easy and there are rules for cancelation. There is no daily mousekeoing, but you can pay for it if you want. Most members are fine with the limited service that happens.

Good luck!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Frankly, I spent my twenties going from one underpaid, under appreciated job to the next. I'm really glad I waited until I was in my late 30s to join DVC.

PS, I remember being approached about DVC on our honeymoon in 1992. The guy at the kiosk said we could own at The Disney Vacation Club for just $11,000+ dollars. Yes, it was a good deal. We thought the guy was from Mars. Even so, spending $11,000 for 200+ points would have been disastrous for us at that point. I can only imagine the fights my husband and I would have had because we would not have been able to buy a car when we needed it a few years later, and would have had a hard time paying the maintenance fees at time.

I'm glad I didn't buy DVC in the early 1990s. It would have been the wrong choice for us.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT 40th B-day Trip Report
Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyteach15 View Post
Hey all,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should buy into DVC. I've been an avid Disney fan my entire life, going nearly every year with my parents. Now 26, I've been 3 times since living on my once I graduated college. I usually stay for am average of 5-6 nights a year.

If I do purchase, I would get a somewhat large amount of points...maybe 200-220, so that my brother and parents could split the cost with me and we could all benefit from it. If I were to get this many, how much would it be? Also, is it worth it to?

I look forward to your amazing feedback!!
I would never suggest a family partnership for many reasons. This simply sounds like a bad plan to me. If you're going alone or just staying in a value or moderate and are single, I likely wouldn't buy at this time. Rather I would cont to investigate and save if needed then buy when the time were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I am on the resale market for BCV, VWL, and OKW. If one of those were expiring in 10 years, while the other ones were expiring in 30, I would cross that one off the list, or at best only be willing to pay A LOT LESS for it.

Time is a factor in a cost-benefit analysis.

Also, I am not saying it should be a purchasing factor, just that it affects the appeal of direct purchase prices in my opinion.

That being said, anyone is welcome to pay whatever they want for anything.
I'm not sure you're saying much different, just coming at it from both sides. There will be a value that can be calculated, it may not may not be much. Certainly at some point it will be zero. I'm of the opinion that the contracts will reach a zero total value a few years before the end of the RTU, how few years is the question but I'd say at least 2-3.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #28
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyteach15 View Post
Hey all,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should buy into DVC. I've been an avid Disney fan my entire life, going nearly every year with my parents. Now 26, I've been 3 times since living on my once I graduated college. I usually stay for am average of 5-6 nights a year.

If I do purchase, I would get a somewhat large amount of points...maybe 200-220, so that my brother and parents could split the cost with me and we could all benefit from it. If I were to get this many, how much would it be? Also, is it worth it to?

I look forward to your amazing feedback!!
Would you, your brother and parents travel all at the same time? Would they all just get studios?

200-220 points is not a lot in many cases.....We have 280 and are always borrowing from the year ahead (read: we probably should buy more). But we never get a studio and we always book two bedroom villas (3 kids will do that to you).

Good luck with your decision.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Frankly, I spent my twenties going from one underpaid, under appreciated job to the next. I'm really glad I waited until I was in my late 30s to join DVC.

PS, I remember being approached about DVC on our honeymoon in 1992. The guy at the kiosk said we could own at The Disney Vacation Club for just $11,000+ dollars. Yes, it was a good deal. We thought the guy was from Mars. Even so, spending $11,000 for 200+ points would have been disastrous for us at that point. I can only imagine the fights my husband and I would have had because we would not have been able to buy a car when we needed it a few years later, and would have had a hard time paying the maintenance fees at time.

I'm glad I didn't buy DVC in the early 1990s. It would have been the wrong choice for us.
We are the same - people always say "I wish I would have bought sooner" - between the time I first saw DVC and the time we bought, I went through a divorce (would have had to sell), remarriage and a wedding, job crisis, fertility treatments, adoption, and built a house. I couldn't possibly have afforded it after the divorce, and at the very least it would have been burdensome and I probably would have sold it during the fertility crisis or house building.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #30
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Am Curious if the OP made a decision based on the responses?
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: